• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diet related: Is Meat Good For You Or Bad For You?

belize44

I wouldn't say that the question is ridiculous, but it certainly bears thinking about. For example, I have always been a meat eater. I love chicken, fish, red meats, etc. Lately I have tried leaving red meat out of my diet because I have been feeling not quite right after consuming it. So I have been experimenting with vegetarian dishes, but still having chicken and fish. What I have noticed is that I seem to digest a lot better if I leave red meat out of the picture. Nevertheless, as others have said here, one must do what works for themselves. I wouldn't advocate not eating any certain food, because everyone has to go through the trial and error of finding out what works best for them. I am guessing that the digestion of red meat is too much on my overtaxed system right now, so I am taking a break. There's my 2 cents! :cool:

brenda

I don't think anyone watched the video right through?

He says that grass fed meat is a health food and should be eaten in moderation with plenty of veggies and the message is that it is not vegetation versus meat based which are both quite often accompanied by unhealthy things like sugar and white flour, but is about the quality and health promotion of what we eat.

Unhealthy food does not work for anyone.

ukxmrv

Did he define moderation and why?

It sounds like a video for people with a general interest in the topic rather than a disabled group who may have already found the answer for themselves (i.e. the good / bad question)

I'm better with red meat in my diet and noticeably stronger the day after.

erin

This discussion is very valid. However, it may not be so helpful as it touches moral issues and choices that we all made in terms of eating meat. I feel eating meat is now not just matter of a diet only.

Back to the dietarian side of the discussion, after years of being vegetarian I now feel my body needs meat and I eat it. I especially feel red meat works better for me. Most of the time, I am not able to find a good source of poultry; i.e. affordable and organic.

helen1

Yes, @Valentijn that's what I thought at first, big can of worms, argument on it's way... But nobody's going down that path, nice.

About a food's effects on people, it seems that the gut's microbiome may have a huge role. If our microbe communities are all somewhat or very different from one another, it's no surprise we react differently to the same foods. So whether a food is good for us or not may have more to do with our gut than with the food itself.

On the other hand, I've also been convinced from what I've read that grass fed meats are healthier than feedlot raised meats.

belize44

Yes, @Valentijn that's what I thought at first, big can of worms, argument on it's way... But nobody's going down that path, nice.

About a food's effects on people, it seems that the gut's microbiome may have a huge role. If our microbe communities are all somewhat or very different from one another, it's no surprise we react differently to the same foods. So whether a food is good for us or not may have more to do with our gut than with the food itself.

On the other hand, I've also been convinced from what I've read that grass fed meats are healthier than feedlot raised meats.
I've had grass fed beef and it was delicious! I also think you have a point there, with the mention of the gut's microbiome. I like red meat, but my gut must have changed to the point where it is too challenging to digest it. It may change yet again in the future - who knows?