• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will medications prescribed for CFS induce oral side effects?

Hi.. I take medications for chronic fatigue syndrome. I have read that many of the medications prescribed to manage CFS can induce a variety of oral side effects. But just in last three years I have noticed that my teeth have become really bad. Decaying of my molars, sensitive to hot and cold, and jaw pain. I am worried. I am planning to visit my dentist, probably by next week. Has anyone experienced this before? Kindly share your experience if you had any. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
What specific medication? I've never heard "many CFS medications cause oral issues"

Tmj Is common among CFS suffers. So are sensitivities and weird mouth and teeth stuff.

The times when I had to deal with decay was when I was too tired to take care of them. I didn't get proper dental care for several years. that was on me.

Some medications may cause dry mouth but I never heard of it causing tooth decay on its own. I'm probably wrong Maybe someone else knows.

Last edited:

barbc56

I have no idea of the accuracy of this article. I have heard that antibiotics can affect the color of you're teeth. I wouldn't think this problem is specific to me/cfs. While a chronic illness might play a part, I doubt if it's the biggest factor. I know several people in perfect health, keep up with flossing, brushing, etc. and yey they still have problems with their teeth.
We all know sweet, sugary food is bad for our teeth. Yet every day millions of us take medicines without realising they, too, can adversely affect oral

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2390916/Need-filling-It-MEDICINE-thats-ruining-teeth.html

Barb

barbc56

@minkeygirl

This did not, happen to me. I heard about antibiotics discoloring teeth a long time ago.

I don't remember which antibiotic but it was pretty strong as the infection had just started to reach the bone. I think I started with an IV followed by a couple of rounds of the oral antibiotic.