• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can we talk.........about pain?

Crux

problem is that pain meds cause burning neuro issues in me the next day in kidneys and feet and spine
could be autoimmunen or detox

I didn't realize how individualized pain treatment could be, and that treatment could cause more pain referred to other areas.

xrayspex

Barb that is interesting that you had broken bone and infection at same time and think that they playedinto one another it sounds like
I seriously sprained my foot/ankle at end of summer just before doing root canal and the pain from one thing would flare the other....it was odd to me that could happen altho I don't know why I would be surprised after years of weird things with pain and fatigue
but I feel that it has made recovery harder in both areas, to have a double whammy....its like exponential multiplication not addition as far as how it all adds up

I am in the process of getting a lot of dental work done. It had been several years since I had been to a dentist and was surprised that the dentist works on your teeth while you are reclining. I would also get the neck pain and this helped.

A root canal that gave me a serious infection in the bone may have contributed to this illness along with a broken arm.

Good luck.

Barb

xrayspex

Crux, it sounds like you have been lucky then with meds working for you in a straight up way
I am curious what symptoms you get with cracked root? because my dentist said I may not want to redo root canal and just consider going for extraction right away, she said it can be hard to see the cracked tooth or roots sometimes esp with a crown on there and she has seen people go thru root canals and other oral surgeries trying to save a tooth just to end up getting the extraction in end anyway

any invasive dental procedures are bad news for me with long aftermath but the physical aspect of extraction is pretty daunting recovery due to sensitive neck
but the ongoing pain from dental pain is bad too
no good choices

what are you going to do after extraction? bridge or implant or nothing?

I didn't realize how individualized pain treatment could be, and that treatment could cause more pain referred to other areas.

Crux

@xrayspex ,

Thanks, I am better able to manage pain now, even though, it's highly relative. There was a time when pain was so bad, I would dry heave and moan. It was impossible not to cry. ( I hate to cry.)

Now, sometimes I just can't think straight, and yesterday was a migraine day. ( Ate some dresssing with wheat bread)

The pain from the fractured tooth root is medium sharp with no throbbing. I don't have temperature sensitivity, but I don't believe the nerve is dead because there is pain. ( A dentist mentioned dead nerve...nope.)

The tooth is beside the front one, (#6 ?), under a bridge, (troll lol ), so, it must go, and the bridge. An oral surgeon will do the job; a bone graft will be needed, three implants, then a new bridge. A fortune.

The Endodontist who detected the fracture was excellent. He took one x-ray. It was a spiral shape.

I understand your dilemma about whether to extract or not, because another cleaning procedure could fail. It could be very expensive, and Painful. Your tooth is not very visible, so hmm.

I have been rinsing with peppermint essential oil lately. I know it's just a mild pain reliever, but it helps enough for now.

I'm going to be sure to request pain meds. from the oral surgeon, though.

http://www.animated-teeth.com/root_canal/t10_root_canal_problems.htm

xrayspex

Hey thanks Crux for the dental info, helpful layout, does make me lean more towards extraction, but I will try to line up 2nd and 3rd opinions asap

wait are you saying that you have to have 3 implants up front because of the bridge and how many teeth effected? I don't really know how bridges work. So if I get 2nd to last back molar pulled I assume I shouldnt do nothing because it could cause the teeth on either side to move too much? I would like to do nothing tho lol other than get it pulled.

I wouldn't care nearly so much if pain meds worked better for me, I mean the expense part bites too course but its really going thru all that torture with halfmast pain management that is disheartening.....i can take hydrocodone but it means that as soon as it wears off I will be in more pain because it causes that weird stinging in kidneys and spine, sometimes causes headaches ( i think because opiates can increase intracranial pressure and I seem to be sensitive to having tinch of that ICH) so am at a loss on how to plan....I am going to go talk to doc but I don't even know what to ask for . After reading on here some yesterday I am thinking fentanyl or ketamine or xyrem in baby doses would be good to try but I don't know if I have the heart and salesperson savvy right now to sell a conservative enviroment here on those sort of meds. I do have history of trying everything else under the sun without good success so could point to that

I did get a chance to try this last week one day slow release naproxen and it did cut back the dental pain some but it worsened my sjogrens eye symptoms of really blurry vision and put me in BAD mood. felt really edgy on it so don't see that as regular solution

xrayspex

also in regard to pain management, I briefly consulted with someone at a pain clinic before my root canal to have a plan in case the endo work hurt my neck problem and I asked about ketamine at that time as I was reading Dr Patrick Wood's writings on its efficacy with fibromyalgia and the doc there said they use ketamine patch sometimes and that might be an option....they are very evidenced based clinic and with the trend being away from using strong meds I think, well I don't know......wouldnt it be lovely if everyone resolved all their pain with cymbalta tylenol and CBT ;)

anyway, if there are any other new meds anyone has heard of that help with pain would love to hear....have tried the gamut of ssris antiseizure opiate antiinflammatory it seems

Crux

wait are you saying that you have to have 3 implants up front because of the bridge and how many teeth effected? I don't really know how bridges work. So if I get 2nd to last back molar pulled I assume I shouldnt do nothing because it could cause the teeth on either side to move too much? I would like to do nothing tho lol other than get it pulled.

Well, This will be my fifth bridge since the 80's. It was almost exactly a year ago that I had two extractions and a new bridge. The #6 tooth was unable to handle the stress. It had a root canal in late 90's. Implants would have been a better albeit much more expensive choice.

I might have even had trouble with implants , because the infection was under-treated. Now I realize I have needed some stronger antibiotics for a longer time. Even some dentists don't realize the risks of dental infection.

Even with the side effects of antibiotics, they have been one of the best interventions I've tried. That includes pain. Microbes produce acids. Acids can destroy tissue and nerves. Then there is pain.

You're right to be concerned about the movement of teeth after extraction. The dentist will advise?

I don't know about the pain meds. you're considering, but, I say, find what works. I agree that untreated pain is very harmful.