• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Facial muscle fatigue

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced facial muscle fatigue?

In the last 2-3 weeks it seems to have come out of nowhere, as these symptoms seem to do.

My jaw, lips, mouth and tongue in particular are effected. It all feels quite tight with aches and stiffness. On a couple of occasions my tongue felt pretty useless and lazy in my mouth. Also lips and tongue have felt swollen although they are not. Eating and talking can sometimes be difficult.

Thanks in advance.

lansbergen

I had it and not only tongue . I could not swallow, even liquid did not go down.

The swollen lips I still get sometimes but mostly the upper lip and I can feel between my fingers it is thicker than normal. The thick lip does not stay very long.

ukxmrv

I get that but only as part of PEM after exertion. Sometimes the muscles used in a particular activity are the ones that have the most acute and long lasting PEM.

Had you been having to talk a lot 2 weeks ago? Even using the phone more?

Another time I get this group of symptoms is when I have a sinus infection. This for me causes face, mouth, jaw and other problems.

barbc56

If you already haven't I would see a doctor about this ASAP. This might be caused by something innocuous or much more serious.

Keep us informed and take care.

Barb

Thanks all.

I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday so will mention it then.

I'm hoping its just the ME as some of the other things related to the symptoms sound a bit rubbish.

It does seem to be worse when I'm tired, mostly in the evening.

Hi. I am experiencing what sounds like exactly what you were last year. Wondering what you found out.

Hey, what did you find out? My jaw muscles and space above my eyebrows are fatigued as I'm writing this right now. Got it after having a few good days and decided to take a walk yesterday like an idiot. It fatigues my eyes and I can barely keep my them open! ☹️

Dechi

All my muscles get fatigued at some point. My jaws become fatigued when I eat stuff that takes longer to masticate. Any muscle that is sollicited more than 15 seconds will fatigue and ache.

ChrisD

I've just started experiencing eye muscle fatigue/pain/strain lately - that has subsided somewhat but in the last week i have started experiencing facial muscle fatigue and spasms later in the evening, often part of PEM. I have had TMJ problems throughout the course of this illness but this feels different, it is as if one side of my face is tightening and then relaxing...