• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplement to balance Cortisol

Peyt

Hi Everyone,

I had my Cortisol tested via a Saliva test. It showed my Cortisol is too high in the morning and peaks at noon then sharply drops at night.
This test was done 2 years ago, and my ND at the time recommended the usual supplements that lower Cortisol such as Magnolia Bark, P.S. and Ashwaghanda... None of which I was able to tolerate because it would make me feel good in the morning and turn into sever headaches in the afternoon (all the same). So I stopped it.

I am in search of a supplement that does not just lower cortisol and instead brings it into balance. This way
it's not too high in the morning or too low at night... Any suggestions??

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
good luck. Many of us have that problem. Mine is low am. ok noon and high at night, I can't tolerate anything. Even 2 mgs more of DHEA do me in.

I'm not aware of anything that balances it, otherwise we'd all be doing it.

Peyt

One suggestion I got from another source is to use the Ashwaghanda in the morning to lower it, and at night use an adrenal cortex supplement to increase Cortisol. So there may not be 1 supplement to keep it from spiking but 2 supplements, one to lower it and the other to increase it. I guess I can try it.

Peyt

It looks like the supplement to increase Cortisol was Isocort, but that supplement is no longer made, so I got to find something else... I am looking at other Adrenal cortex supplements.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
There is no one size Fits all. I can't take ashwaganda and messing with glandulars is tricky. I tried hypothalamus and couldn't take it

It may sound good on paper but when actually trying it? That's another story.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
There was a thread about this, I think Mary talked about it. We need something new that no one has ever thought of.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi Everyone,

I had my Cortisol tested via a Saliva test. It showed my Cortisol is too high in the morning and peaks at noon then sharply drops at night.
This test was done 2 years ago, and my ND at the time recommended the usual supplements that lower Cortisol such as Magnolia Bark, P.S. and Ashwaghanda... None of which I was able to tolerate because it would make me feel good in the morning and turn into sever headaches in the afternoon (all the same). So I stopped it.

I am in search of a supplement that does not just lower cortisol and instead brings it into balance. This way
it's not too high in the morning or too low at night... Any suggestions??

When you say "P.S.", do you mean phosphatidyl serine or phosphorylated serine? I believe they're related but they're not the same thing. Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) helped normalize my cortisol levels - however, mine were high at night and I think ok in the a.m., cannot remember, it's been too long. However, we all react differently, unfortunately! minkeygirl had a bad reaction to Seriphos.

Your idea to use something in the morning to lower cortisol and then another product to increase it at night sounds intriguing - I've never tried it but sounds worth a try - we are all guinea pigs here!

Adrenal glandulars like Drenatrophin PMG and Drenamin by Standard Process have also helped me a lot. I first came across these via a chiropractor who does muscle testing - he helped me a lot, when everyone else was clueless. Another thing you might look into -

Peyt

Hi Mary,
Yes by P.S. I meant phosphorylated serine...
I looked up the ingridients in Drenatrophin PMG and the main ingredient is Bovine which is the main ingredient for most Adrenal Cortex supplements...
So if You have ever tried P.S. in the morning and Drenatrophin PMG at night (or vise versa depending on your cortisol rise and fall pattern) you have already tried my idea :) ... I don't think my idea is anything new... in fact I heard it in a radio show from a Dr. whom was answering a caller with the same problem as mine.

I still got to try this myself... will keep you posted !