• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue & sinusitis

MNC

Yes, I was tempted to do that as well but the Copyright Man knocking on my door. (I corresponded with Dr. Afrin and he himself told me the document was a mess! :) There is however going to be a book in which a chapter is a pretty version of that document.)

I prefer to continue to post the link...

Oops. Should I withdraw the PDF from the post?

I feel like preparing and studying an exam for tomorrow's appointment. I need to learn enough to explain him and do a perfect explanation in the first 20 seconds to gain his attention and interest or he will refuse to listen and help. I'm having university flashbacks, I hadn't studied for ages.

Gosh, and my printer run out of black ink... :confused: I hope I can buy a new cartridge tomorrow or I wil have no documents to show him.

nanonug

Oops. Should I withdraw the PDF from the post?

I know that Spain is pretty relaxed regarding copyrighted works for personal use. However, the US is pretty anal about this and by default, all works are copyrighted unless otherwise stated. Even linking to the document is iffy!

Gosh, and my printer run out of black ink... :confused: I hope I can buy a new cartridge tomorrow or I wil have no documents to show him.

Good luck for tomorrow!

MNC

I know that Spain is pretty relaxed regarding copyrighted works for personal use. However, the US is pretty anal about this and by default, all works are copyrighted unless otherwise stated. Even linking to the document is iffy!

Deleted PDF, thanks.

I don't know our copyright laws, but I didn't think that modifying the format could be ilegal.

I think chronic sinusitis is likely mast cell related in many cases without infection or allergies. I developed sinusitis w/ chronic fatigue and cognitive issues after a number of triggers (chemical, surgical). This after a long line of chronic conditions that are likely mast cell related....POTS, IC, IBS (no D or C). For me, my sinusitis can get better or worse depending on my environment, and symptoms can also fluctuate depending on what I eat. It never goes away entirely. Oh! I would highly recommend D-hist. This is the only thing that had given me significant relief. Unfortunately I had to stop taking it b/c I have an allergy to bromelain (pineapple). FML.

I wonder though what role bacteria play as a primary trigger especially with altered nasal flora. I've often found relief for my conditions through antibiotic therapy, even if short lived. And the most successful treatment I've found for IBS is rifaximin followed by a low fodmap diet. Membranes becoming hyperpermeable and reactive (leaky gut) might apply to the nose as well.

Old Salt

Rowing the boat
The sinus' are also an outlet for toxins from the gut. While cleaning up the gut, the sinus issue expands until the gut is resolved. All arrows have pointed to the gut.

MNC
My experience as an ME/CFS patient is that most sinusitis is fungal-based. The Mayo Clinic was correct when they pointed out this etiology. People with compromised with compromised immune systems, such as ME/CFS, are at most risk. Mayo, however, just experimented around with an antifungal spray, which by itself, of course, isn't going to work.

There are many factors, such as living in the right humidity (not too high, or too low), your diet, and many other factors. These factors are very hard to control, or difficult, especially if you are semi-functional ME/CFS patient. Anyway, this explanation probably explains my sinusitis:

The Hidden Perpetrator of Sinus Infections - Found in 96% of Mayo Study Participants
March 12, 2012

Nasal congestion is usually caused by infection or allergy, and is one of the most frequent medical complaints in the United States.​
A common belief is that nasal congestion or "stuffy nose" is due to a buildup of mucus.​
However, congestion is more often due to swelling of the nasal tissues, caused by inflamed blood vessels.​
All in all, nasal congestion can be related to a number of ailments, including:​
  • Common cold/flu (bacteria or virus)
  • Sinus infection (bacteria, virus, mold or fungus)
  • Hay fever or other allergies
  • Nasal polyps
  • Vasomotor rhinitis (non-allergic condition)
  • Overuse of nasal sprays/drops
In the case of cold or flu and sinus infections, the congestion typically goes away in about a week.
Chronic sinusitis (sinus infection), on the other hand, can last for months or even years if not addressed properly.​
I'll review my treatment recommendations for acute sinusitis below, and special considerations for chronic sinusitis, which is frequently misdiagnosed.​
That said, according to a recent study in the journal PLoS Onei, the sensations of nasal congestion may in some cases be related to the temperature and humidity of inhaled air -- perhaps more than any other variable.​
How Temperature and Humidity Can Make You Feel "Stuffed Up"

Rhinitis is the medical term for "stuffy nose." Vasomotor rhinitis is a non-allergic condition, characterized by chronic runny nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion. Changes in temperature and humidity have already been identified as a potential triggers. (Other triggers include strong odors, perfumes, smoke, fumes, and bright sunlight.)​
The results of the featured study indicate that the sensory feedback from nasal airflow can contribute to the feeling of congestion, and that by altering temperature and humidity levels of inhaled air, you may experience some relief.​
The authors of the study suggest that the interaction between temperature and humidity influence "nasal cooling" as the air moves through your nasal cavity. This nasal cooling is detected by "sensors" inside your nose, which stimulate the sensation of air flow being either easy or obstructed, with cooler air resulting in feelings of less obstruction. Essentially, nasal congestion can be sensory related.​
According to lead author Kai Zhao, Ph.Dd, a bioengineer, an effective treatment for nasal congestion may need to include restoring optimal humidity and temperature to the patient's nasal airflow.​
What's the Ideal Level of Humidity?

According to Dr. Robert Ivker, D.O., former President of the American Holistic Medical Association, the ideal level of relative humidity for sinus health is between 35-45 percent. This level is also generally recommended to avoid mold damage in your home. (To accurately determine the relative humidity in your home you would use a hygrometer, available in most home improvement stores.) In the featured study, the two types of air conditions associated with the most effective decrease in feelings of congestion were:​
  1. Cold air, and
  2. Dry air at room temperature
If your home or office is too humid (above 45 percent), you may want to consider reducing the amount of moisture in the air, as excessive levels may also cause mold and fungi growth that could wreak havoc on your health—it may even be the root cause if you're suffering from chronic sinus infections. To decrease humidity, you can:
  • Use a dehumidifier
  • Run the air conditioner
  • Take colder and shorter showers
  • Install a fan in your kitchen and bathrooms, and leave them on for awhile after you're done cooking or showering
You must be VERY careful about making sure your humidity levels are not too high. This does not need to be due to high outdoor humidity but more commonly is due to some type of water intrusion in the home from a leaky roof, foundation or plumbing. The high humidity will cause moldto grow and could devastate your health as I have written about previously. So the key is to find the cause of the increased humidity and repair it. It would be wise to use a large commercial dehumidifer in your home to lower the humidity until the problem is fixed.
However, very dry air is also known to increase feelings of congestion because drying out your sinus membranes can irritate them further. So depending on your individual circumstances, if the air in your home is excessively dry, then increasing the humidity may help. To increase humidity, you can:​
  • Use a vaporizer or humidifier
  • Create a steam bath by taking a hot shower, or filling your sink with hot water, then placing a towel over your head as you lean over the sink
  • Breathe in the steam from a hot cup of tea
Do You Have a Sinus Infection?

Sinus infections (sinusitis) affect over 39 million Americans every year.ii It typically occurs when the mucous membranes in your nose and sinuses become irritated by a cold, allergy, or pollution, for example, which then cause them to become inflamed. Once inflamed, the motion of your cilia (the tiny hairs that coat the mucous membranes and are responsible for moving mucus over their surfaces) slows down. At the same time, the irritation stimulates your mucous glands to secrete more mucus than usual to dilute the bacteria.​
As a result, mucus gets trapped in your sinuses, where it can easily become infected.​
It's important to understand that antibiotics can spell disaster for this problem. If used long-term, they can lead to very serious complications that may be very difficult to remediate against, including chronic yeast infections and impaired immune function. Furthermore, as I will discuss below, the vast majority of chronic sinusitis cases may be due to exposure to mold or fungi rather than bacteria, which antibiotics will have no effect on at all. Symptoms of sinus infection include:​
Congestion and pressure around your eyes, cheeks and forehead Thick, green or yellow mucus Toothache
Cold symptoms lasting more than 10 days Postnasal drip (excess mucus dripping down the back of your throat) Fatigue
Beware: Sinusitis is Often Misdiagnosed

The problem with sinus issues is that that they're very easily misdiagnosed. Sinus problems and post-nasal drip can actually be a tip-off that you're being affected by mold or fungi.​
In fact, research done by the Mayo Clinic in the 1990s that strongly suggests NEARLY ALL chronic sinusitis is caused by fungi, but blamed on bacteria—then mistreated using antibiotics. The findings were published in 1999 in two peer-reviewed journals, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.iii Yet, most physicians are still unaware of this study, or at least of its significance. A 1999 Mayo Clinic press releaseiv stated:​
"Mayo Clinic researchers say they have found the cause of most chronic sinus infections—an immune system response to fungus.
The Mayo Clinic study suggests that 96 percent of the people who suffer from chronic sinusitis are "fungal sensitized," meaning they have immune responses triggered by inhaled fungal organisms! This explains why antibiotics are so ineffective for chronic sinusitis as they target bacteria, NOT fungi. Antibiotics and steroids can actually worsen fungal-related infections by destroying your body's natural biological terrain, creating an internal incubation ground for further fungal growth.
The bottom line is, if you have chronic sinusitis, you MUST approach it from the perspective of a fungal infection FIRST, not a bacterial infection, even if it means having to educate your healthcare provider. A good place to start is by sharing the Mayo Clinic study referenced above. The book, Mold: The War Withinvis also a useful resource.​
How to Treat Sinusitis Without Drugs

For chronic sinusitis, please refer to this previous article about how to address sinusitis caused by mold and fungi exposure. The following natural treatments can help you get over an acute sinus infection without the use of antibiotics and unnecessary OTC drugs, by keeping your cilia healthy and functioning, thereby preventing excess mucus build-up in your sinuses.​
  1. Drink hot liquids, such as tea or hot chicken soup. It will help moisturize your mucous membranes, speeding up the movement of your cilia and thus washing mucus out of your sinuses more quickly.
  2. Apply warm compresses to your face, three times a day for five minutes. A small towel soaked in warm water, placed over your face below and between the eyes, will help increase the circulation in your sinuses, which will also help speed up the movement of your cilia.
  3. Irrigate your sinuses. In a 2007 study from University of Michigan Health System researchersvi, saline irrigation was found to decrease nasal congestion more effectively than saline sprays. It appears to work by thinning mucus, decreasing swelling in your nasal passages and removing debris, bacteria, allergens and inflammatory substances from your nose, hence decreasing swelling that makes it hard to breathe. (If you've never done this before, see these Nasal Irrigation Guidelinesviiby the University of Michigan.)
    To make your own preservative-free saline solution, just add one teaspoon of himalayan or sea salt to one pint of distilled water. Make sure you use a saline solution that does not contain benzalkonium, a preservative that can impair your nasal function and might sting and burn.
  4. Clear your sinuses with an aromatherapy steam bath. To help open up congested nasal passages and sinuses, put a couple of drops of eucalyptus or menthol aromatherapy oil into a bowl of hot water, then breathe the vapors. In lieu of aromatherapy oil, dabbing some Vick's VapoRub on your skin underneath your nose can also be effective.
  5. Unclog your sinuses with the right foods. Horseradish, grated on top of a sandwich, or some Japanese wasabi mustard can also help open up congested sinuses.
  6. Elevate your head when sleeping.
  7. Dust your bedroom. Dust and dust mites can wreak havoc on your mucous membranes, especially when you're asleep and your cilia are at rest. Using a HEPA filter air purifier is also beneficial in keeping your air as free from allergens as possible.
How to Prevent Sinus Infections Before They Start

Poor food quality, excessive exposure to toxic chemicals and a high-stress lifestyle puts you at greater risk for not only sinus infection but all disease. Therefore, maintaining a robust immune system and creating an environment inhospitable to bacterial and fungal proliferation can help prevent sinus problems and infections from occurring in the first place. Here are some of the basic strategies to keep your immune system in top form:​
  1. Avoid eating sugar or grains, as detailed in my nutrition plan
  2. Take a high-quality animal-based omega-3 supplement such as krill oil, which acts as a potent anti-inflammatory
  3. Optimize your vitamin D levels by getting appropriate amounts of sun exposure year-round. Alternatively, use a safe tanning bed (one with electronic ballasts rather than magnetic ballasts, to avoid unnecessary exposure to EMF fields. Safe tanning beds also have less of the dangerous UVA than sunlight.) If neither of these are feasible options, then you should take an oral vitamin D3 supplement.
  4. Consume organic coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal
  5. Avoid eating these top 10 mycotoxic foods
  6. Get proper sleep
  7. Get regular exercise especially Peak Fitness type exercises

I thought the fungal connection was debunked or at least wasn't as conclusive as the initial study made it seem.

I've tried antifungal therapies before with no effect whereas I've often experienced a rapid diminishing of symptoms when taking antibiotics even if symptoms return immediately after stopping them.

This thread discusses the most recent study linking certain altered nasal bacteria and sinusitis- http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/sinusitis-linked-to-microbial-diversity.19327/.

Spinney Lainey

Hi Sasha,

My doctor routinely tests the gut http://www.redlabs.be/ as he ususally finds problems there in ME/CFS patients. Initially I had a HUGE overgrowth of Prevotella (anaerobic bacteria). One course of xifaxin cleared that up (non-systemic antibiotic).

A year later I had the more sophisticated test above (it was new). It tests about 67 bacteria. The Provotella was still gone but this test showed lower levels of overgrowth of (too many to list) gram positive bacteria. I am again treating this with a short course of xifaxin every few months.

ABX may not be the answer, but this one helps me a lot with controlling gut infections and I don't experience any side effects. I take VSL-3 every day to repopulate the gut.

Sushi

Hi Sushi,

Which doctor do you have, who does tests at Redlabs? I'd like to get some Redlabs tests done but need a physician. Also, wondering what country you're in. Not sure how to go about this from UK......

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Sushi,

Which doctor do you have, who does tests at Redlabs? I'd like to get some Redlabs tests done but need a physician. Also, wondering what country you're in. Not sure how to go about this from UK......

It is easy to do it from the UK. The doctor doesn't have to sign the requisition, you just name him and he will get the report--but you can get it too if you ask.

I am in the US and I see De Meirleir in Brussels and now in Reno.

Sushi

ebethc

We have been down this road before and I disagree with you (with the exception of PGD2 involvement in sleep).

Polycythemia from mast cell activation syndrome: lessons learned.

Abstract: A middle-aged woman presented with fatigue and mild
increases in hematocrit and red cell mass. Polycythemia vera was
diagnosed. She underwent therapeutic phlebotomy but clinically worsened.
On reevaluation, other problems were noted including episodic
malaise, nausea, rash and vasomotor issues. The JAK2V617F mutation
was absent; paraneoplastic erythrocytosis was investigated. Serum
tryptase and urinary N-methylhistamine were normal, but urinary
prostaglandin D2 was elevated.
Skin and marrow biopsies showed no
mast cell abnormalities. Extensive other evaluation was negative.
Gastrointestinal tract biopsies were histologically normal but revealed
increased, aberrant mast cells on immunohistochemistry; the
KITD816V mutation was absent. Mast cell activation syndrome, recently
identified as a clonal disorder involving assorted KIT mutations,
was diagnosed.
Imatinib 200 mg/d rapidly effected complete, sustained
response. Diagnosis of mast cell activation syndrome is hindered by
multiple factors, but existing therapies for mast cell disease are usually
achieve significant benefit, highlighting the importance of early diagnosis.
Multiple important aspects of clinical reasoning are illustrated by
the case.

What's a "clonal disorder"?

Sinuitis typically comes and goes. If you have recurring sinuitus, it would be a good idea to see an ENT. If you have a crappy immune system and still have your tonsils, you could see what they say about taking them out. I had mine out in 2014 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I haven't had a sinus infection since. I did have a bad bought of Bronchitis this year, but I was getting sinus infections year round before. My biggest issue though was that the infections were spreading to my tonsils and keeping me sick longer and making it more reccurant, since the tonsils would absorb and store the bacteria.

Dechi

I am reviving this thread. I just took a 10 day course of Clavulin 875 mg for chronic sinusitis (3 different areas) and acute sinusitis with mucus. The last day I had awful nausea and felt sicker but after that I feel better.

I wonder if this is a temporary thing or permanent ? I’m having another MRI in february to check if it’s all gone.

Sinuitis typically comes and goes. If you have recurring sinuitus, it would be a good idea to see an ENT. If you have a crappy immune system and still have your tonsils, you could see what they say about taking them out. I had mine out in 2014 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I haven't had a sinus infection since. I did have a bad bought of Bronchitis this year, but I was getting sinus infections year round before. My biggest issue though was that the infections were spreading to my tonsils and keeping me sick longer and making it more reccurant, since the tonsils would absorb and store the bacteria.

I have chronic sinus issues, and supposedly my tonsils are enlarged. I get tonsil stones every now and then, too, which is gross and requires me to prod at my tonsils more than is probably sanitary. I wonder if I should look into just getting them removed entirely?