• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO test results; advice please

helen1

Just received my SIBO test results from the SIBO Centre. They consider results over 20 to be positive for SIBO and my results were all below that, but they note that some doctors consider anything above 3 to be a positive result. Mine were all between 3 and 18.

I sent emails to my ME doc, Dr Kaufman and to my naturopath to see what they thought. Dr Kaufman agreed I probably don't have SIBO whereas my naturopath says based on my clinical symptoms he thinks I do have it. My gut symptoms are nausea and a generally sick feeling until I do a coffee enema then I feel fine gut-wise until I eat again. Also constipation.

Does anyone who knows about SIBO have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• redctd sibo results.pdf
    482.3 KB · Views: 26

PeterPositive

The test indicates that all three analyses are negative, which should rule out SIBO.
Naturally if you have symptoms something is not right, but it's likely not SIBO... i.e. not caused by bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. It could be any other functional issue... there are so many :(

Last edited:

helen1

@Crux Yes, that's what confuses me, the fine print note at the bottom. All my methane levels were at or above 3, which some docs consider to be positive for SIBO. So which doctors views to trust? The ones at the SIBO centre, or others that have studied SIBO?

@PeterPositive It's that fine print that makes their conclusion of 'negative' ambiguous. Let's see, what else can cause nausea and constipation... not enough good bacteria, too much bad bacteria, yeast (no symptoms), what else?

Crux

Hi @helen1 ,

I think Chris Kresser and others have mentioned that, since testing is often equivocal, they go with symptoms.

There can be nausea with : flu and other infections, of course, and low stomach acid. H. pylori can decrease stomach acid, causing nausea. Low stomach acid can be associated with constipation.

There can be an overgrowth of bad bacteria, too little good bacteria, and even an overgrowth of good bacteria.

There are also motility problems that cause constipation. Gastroparesis can cause nausea.

I've had the same issues, yuck.

helen1

Thanks for those ideas @Crux. I think I should look into low stomach acid and h.pylori. I've been working on gut dysbiosis for 3 years doing the two steps forward one step back dance. So I was actually hoping I'd be positive for SIBO so there'd be a straightforward protocol.