• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-Lactate urine levels

Hi all,

I'm new here and just tested really high in D-lactate in a urine test. I have been bed ridden for three years with severe neurological dysfunction/encephalopathy. I am wondering if anyone who has tested high would be willing to share their results. Mine tests at 21.8 with reference range less than 1.8. I know this is abnormal for the "normal" population but I would like to compare with others here.

TIA

Noelle

No, not diabetic. I have read through the other threads that I could find but no one that I could tell has shared their results. I'm just wondering how bad off I am compared to others here as far as d-lactate levels go. I was excited when I got my results because I finally had an answer but now I'm realizing the cure is not so simple, if there even is a cure for this.

jess100

Noellea77 I assume you already know this-which I just found on a write up from BioLab
D-lactate is produced from non-absorbed carbohydrates by colonic bacteria (which may also proliferate in the ileum). The absorption of large amounts of D-lactate can cause metabolic acidosis, altered mental status and a variety of other neurologic symptoms, in particular dysarthria and ataxia [2,3,4]. Its measurement is part of the differential diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome [5]. Although a temporal relationship has been described between elevations of plasma D-lactate and the accompanying encephalopathy, the exact neurological mechanisms remain undescribed [6].

Otherwise healthy children with gastroenteritis may also develop D-lactic acidosis.

There are a number of other tests of gastro-intestinal function available from Biolab – the gut fermentation test, the PEG profile (gut permeability), the measurement of plasma short-chain polypeptides and the lactulose breath hydrogen test. Each of these tests provides somewhat different information from the D- lactate test, which is specific for the presence of D-lactate-producing bacteria in the gut (probably Enterococcus and Streptococcus spp. [5]).

jess100

just saw this. might be worth a look (http://www.siboinfo.com/testing1.html)

Doctors vary widely in how they interpret SIBO breath tests. What one physician calls negative, another call positive. There is no universally accepted standard among physicians at present.
For a detailed explanation of various positive standards and interpretation with case examples, please see my article on test interpretation or either one of my SIBO class videos.

jess100

Hi all,

I'm new here and just tested really high in D-lactate in a urine test. I have been bed ridden for three years with severe neurological dysfunction/encephalopathy. I am wondering if anyone who has tested high would be willing to share their results. Mine tests at 21.8 with reference range less than 1.8. I know this is abnormal for the "normal" population but I would like to compare with others here.

TIA

Noelle
The website I added in the above post http://www.siboinfo.com/testing1.html
also gives some information about natural remedies used by a physician. Might be worth a try and see if you have any improvement.

Thank you so much for these resources, jess100. I think I probably do have an over growth of strep and enterococcus. I tried treating strep with about 4 months of Biaxin but ended up with a bigger enterococcus problem. I am going to try a no carb diet and oregano oil for a couple of months and see if that makes any difference. If not, I will try other natural remedies.

I had a lactulose breath test done by my GI but it was negative according to them. They didn't seem concerned with my d-lactate levels. o_O

Elph68

Thank you so much for these resources, jess100. I think I probably do have an over growth of strep and enterococcus. I tried treating strep with about 4 months of Biaxin but ended up with a bigger enterococcus problem. I am going to try a no carb diet and oregano oil for a couple of months and see if that makes any difference. If not, I will try other natural remedies.

I had a lactulose breath test done by my GI but it was negative according to them. They didn't seem concerned with my d-lactate levels. o_O
Hi Noellea,

This is the complete treatment for strep/enterococcus overgrowth as suggested by Bioscreen from the Melbourne University here in Australia.

I do know that this protocol will usually get you back on your feet .......

I have also included a paper which used a probiotic/prebiotic treatment protocol to cure dlactic acidosis.

I would probably avoid galactooligosaccharide (GOS) they do mess up e-coli levels and I can tell you from personal experience and what is written in the literature, low e-coli = muscle pain .....

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Attachments

• BowelStreptococcalTreatment.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Dlactate acidosis treatment.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thank you for showing me these. Do you know how long I could do a water fast without hurting my health too much? It seems like no matter what I eat I am feeding the bacteria, even if it's carb free like meat or nuts.

One last question, do you think the autoimmune response will stop when the infection is taken care of? I swear my immune system is attacking my brain.

Thanks again,

Noelle

Elph68

Thank you for showing me these. Do you know how long I could do a water fast without hurting my health too much? It seems like no matter what I eat I am feeding the bacteria, even if it's carb free like meat or nuts.

One last question, do you think the autoimmune response will stop when the infection is taken care of? I swear my immune system is attacking my brain.

Thanks again,

Noelle
Hi Noelle,

That sounds a bit drastic and really no good as you will also kill off the bad guys ..... the bacteria can also last for 72 days without food ..... not sure we can out survive these bacteria on just water .....

The brain uses lactic acid for energy. That is one of the reasons why our muscles produce lactic acid under stress..... The problem is if it is the wrong type of lactic acid the brain starts to starve resulting in all sorts of issues. So if you have too much d-lactate in the system, the brain can not get enough l-lactate and the d-lactate chokes it ....
The simplest medical theory at the moment is to change the balance of bad bacteria to good .... Personally I disagree that this is the right answer, but you should get a high level of improvement by doing this ..... Up to 70%

Using xylitol drops in the eyes, nasal spray up the nose, xylitol gum and oil pulling for your teeth will reduce the numbers of these bugs in your respiratory track.

It is highly likely your urogenital track is also populated with these bad guys, and being female, there is a reasonable surface area that also absorbs toxins from these bugs. The gut will take at least 12 months or more to fix in order to get enough good bacteria in the system to change the balance.

Personally I drink bicarb of soda, tumeric, cod liver oil and psyllium husk in water every day. Using kefir milk/granules up the rectum really changed things for me after a long course of antibiotics, and of course drink it as well .... These are mainly l-lactate bacteria and yeasts which compete with the bad guys.

There are a lot of people on here with good diet ideas .... The Paleo approach without nuts or fruit/honey is a good start ..... Starving yourself will make it worse ......

Yes I think you're right. Fasting isn't a long term solution anyway. I'm just so desperate I would do anything at this point. A 70% improvement would get me back to work and that would be incredible so i will try your suggestions and report back.

Paleo diet it is... Maybe it was all the nuts that I was eating that were making it worse.

Noelle