• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for a Lab to test for Pyroluria

picante

I've found two US labs that perform a KPU test to diagnose pyr(r)oluria:
Does anyone have experience with either lab? Does anyone have a recommendation?

I am confused by the plethora of names for the substance(s) they are testing, especially because I keep running across the disclaimer that the "krypto" part is a misnomer.

The first lab gives a chemical name of:
"Hydroxyhemopyrrolin-2-one (HPL)"

The second lab:
"The chemical structure is a 2,4 dimethyl-3-ethylpyrrole."

Can anyone tell me whether they are testing the same substance?

Thanks!

Eeyore

I don't think so. The first one is not a standard iupac name, but the "-one" at the end designates a ketone as the most oxidized functional group (this determines naming in organic chemistry). A ketone is an oxygen double bonded to a secondary carbon (the carbon is bonded to 2 other carbons). e.g. acetone

The latter appears to be an alkylpyrrole, no evidence of the ketone present. A pyrrole is a 4 carbon, 1 nitrogen ring - no oxygen is present so it's not a ketone. Methyl / ethyl groups are just alkyl groups with carbon and hydrogen.

It looks like they are different chemicals.

Whether or not those tests are equivalent (i.e. test for the same condition) - I have no idea. Not sure which question you are asking.

picante

Thanks, @Eeyore. That's exactly what I wanted to know. And since they are not testing the same substance, I'll need to do more searching to understand which would be the best test to order.

Anybody have experience with these tests?

picante

Thanks, @Ema!
This made things a lot clearer to me:
Vitamin Diagnostics offers a test for the related compound called kryptopyrrol only. Recently, they began to offer a test for the hydroxy-hemopyrrolin-2-one (HPL) compound. When filling out the requisition, the practitioner can now select HPL in addition to kryptopyrrol. The HPL test results in a much higher yield.