• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finding a good disability attorney (US)

Okay, so this and that has happened. I am on partial short-term disability, which I think will be wonderful and horrid. But my rheumatologist, in giving me the letter has said that I need to consider this permanent and start thinking about long-term disability. That means SSDI, which means lawyers.

Honestly, even thinking about disability attorneys makes me want to take a shower.

This is one of those things that needs to be done right the first time, I think. I want to engage someone so I start making good decisions and helping to set the framework for that transition, if it's required.

Angie's List does not have lawyer ratings. So how does one stay away from the scuzzy ones? Anyone have any hints or horror stories?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Look for Erisa attorneys. I think I have some in a pm but I'm unable to look now.

I'll try to remember later.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My list is for CA only. You might want to contact Linda Nee. She might be able to recommend someone to you.

I do know you should get someone who is familiar with CFS.

Does anyone use Bernie Kansky anymore?

*GG*

Another article:

The Interplay Between Fibromyalgia and Social Security Disability 8/16/2013 via ProHealth

GG

If you have Fibro, make sure the attorney has won Fibro cases. If you have "CFS", make sure they have won "CFS" cases.

If you have the energy, they do free consults so you can "interview" them and pick whichever is best. But with a big place like Allsup I think you can't talk to the attorney in advance.

Allsup is very popular and experienced.

Groggy Doggy

I suggest finding a good attorney and avoiding Allsup. Allsup may drop your case at the last minute (at the courthouse) if they think they won't win. They have to make their quota, so they can advertise they win x% of cases at the hearing level.

Valentijn

Honestly, even thinking about disability attorneys makes me want to take a shower.
Why? Is it your belief that only lowlifes specialize in keeping disabled people from living on the streets? Do you think that they're the ones who aren't good enough get the high-powered jobs in corporate offices?

Here's how the legal profession works. Most lawyers are the children of lawyers. When they finally manage to pass the bar exam, they go to work in Daddy's private practice, or the firm where Daddy is a partner. In fact, they usually get a job prior to passing the bar, even if they've already failed it a time or two. These are the dumb and egotistical ones, generally speaking.

The rest are people who are trying to improve themselves and/or the world. Some, like me, want to go into areas of the law where we can help people at risk of being screwed over by various systems. I wanted to be a public defender, before I got sick. Not because I'm "scuzzy" and want to help criminals get away with murder. But because I want to make sure criminals have their rights respected, are not punished beyond what is warranted according to law, and to make sure that if they're pleading guilty they are actually criminals.

Much like public defending, disability benefits advocacy is not a sexy area of law. It is one of the less profitable areas of law. The vast majority of "scuzzy" lawyers will find a way to do something much more profitable.

So how does one stay away from the scuzzy ones? Anyone have any hints or horror stories?
If you have that much of a problem with lawyers and can't get past it, strongly consider representing yourself. Because only the "scuzzy" ones are going to put up with that much hostility, and they're going to expect quite a bit of compensation for it.

If you do manage to get past your antagonistic attitude toward lawyers, googling specific ones will usually bring up some reviews. And you can check the website of your state's bar association to see if they have ever had any official actions against them.

aquariusgirl

I would contact the moderator at the yahoo Disinissues site, a former adjudicator for SSDI. JOin the group. Check her out. PM me for her email. She is awesome. understands the system and advises folks on how to file.

some people win using an advocate rather than a lawyer.