• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cyst busters

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Currently using doxy and bactrim. Im pulsing flagyl but can only take 1x500mg dose and it smashes me hard.i feel like crap and really depressed from flagyl die off. At the moment im using flagyl once maybe twice a week depending on work.

is tindamax more tolerable?
Is grape seed extract effective and tolerable?

I wonder if I just have a crap load of cyst form bacteria going by the severe die off. Is it going to be bad initially no matter what and just need to suck it up?

advice on detox would be appreciated . Nac and lipoic acid i use to help liver function. Recently added activated charcoal for when I have die off but more tip on making die off tolerable would be great.

cheers

Hanna

I used Flagyl in the past with horrible side effects, that prevented me to continue (I was taking 1000-1200 mg/day). That was 15-17 years ago.
When my lyme doc proposed it last year for lyme, I didn't agree, and we switched for Tindamax.This was a far better experience for me (I couldn't stand-up at all with flagyl), and I ramped up to 1000 mg /day without major concern (one week each month).
Detox consisted in desmodium tea (because tincture has alcohol, and it's a no-no with Tindamax and Flagyl) + Nac + ALA + parsley.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I used Flagyl in the past with horrible side effects, that prevented me to continue (I was taking 1000-1200 mg/day). That was 15-17 years ago.
When my lyme doc proposed it last year for lyme, I didn't agree, and we switched for Tindamax.This was a far better experience for me (I couldn't stand-up at all with flagyl), and I ramped up to 1000 mg /day without major concern (one week each month).
Detox consisted in desmodium tea (because tincture has alcohol, and it's a no-no with Tindamax and Flagyl) + Nac + ALA + parsley.

Sounds like you have been treating lyme for awhile. I guess for long timers treatment never stops.

the existence of lyme cysts seems as controversial as lyme itself, this was after researching cyst forms. There has to be some reason why its so hard to eradicate.

cheers

@heapsreal It's taken me years to be able to build up to tolerating 2 day pulses of metronidazole. Slowly is ok though, and I'm gradually making good progress. I still can't tolerate tinidazole at all, as it causes far too much die-off which my body can't cope with. Many do find tinidazole more tolerable than metronidazole though, so perhaps worth a try.

For detox: bath or footbath with Epsom salts, dry body brushing (before shower or bath), Burbur and Pinella (Nutramedix detox herbs), lemon juice in water, Alka Selzer Gold (US version), oil pulling.

The burbur and pinella are tinctures with alcohol, but it doesn't cause me any problems even when taking metronidazole. I leave them to stand in water (can use warm water if necessary) for a while before taking them.

godlovesatrier

Same response. Took 400mg at 3pm. Half an hour later went to bed. Woke up at 5.30 and still exhausted. Whereas taking clarithromycin I felt better and actually happier/more allrt.

Suffering with a dental abcess a the minute.

I wonder if this stuff could break down other bacteria that hide in the body. Personally I think because it wipes out good and bad bacteria this is the issue. I'm taking probiotics as well.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Flagyl increases oxidative stress. It's not all die off.
I agree. Every time I see references to adverse effects from die off, or even worse, from the Herxheimer effect which has now been stretched and refashioned to include every kind of reaction to just about every kind of treatment, supplement, herb, tincture, mineral, vitamin, or prescription med, I start frantically reaching for my soap box.

Then I remember that it's none of my business, really. Whatever helps you get thru the unpleasantness of a new or continuing treatment is fine by me. But do be aware that a lot of what's called 'die off' reaction and 'Herxheimers' is more often just you poor, battered body trying to cope with some new intervention that requires a fair amount of readjustment and hoop-jumping-thru on its part.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Suffering with a dental abcess a the minute.
Oh, ouch Trier .... I had one of those last year, and it was hell but Ill do almost anything to avoid a dentist right now, so I treated mine with large doses of olive leaf extract in capsule fore, along with a topical mouthwash that I constructed out of oregno oil, rosemary EO, and a little thyme oil that I swished around the infected area repeatedly during the day.

It took a minute, but it did clear up the abcess.
Personally I think because it wipes out good and bad bacteria this is the issue
That could well be. Anti-bacterials and anti-fungals arent selective in their mode of attack, more like the "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out ..... " WW II approach.
I'm taking probiotics as well.
I did, too. I got a specialized blend of strains specifically for use during antibiotic treatment. I'm not sure how effective they were, and I suffered a little reminder of what life was like with bad IBS for a month or two afterwards, but finally was able to stabilize, and so far, so good.

Wishing you luck and fast healing, those little bustards are hellish !!!!

godlovesatrier

Bizzarely olive leaf extract hasn't done a thing for me. But I'm thinking it was a branding issue maybe. I was also taking cats claw until I found out NOW foods has some of the worst heavy metal testing of all brands which means potentially the highest levels of heavy metals of all producrs on the market. This makes me think it's why there so cheap.

At any rate I've stopped the flagyl and gone back on clarithromycin. But I do think you have a point. It's probably not worth me taking it. Plus they couldn't actually find an infection in my tooth. But I had symptoms of an infection none the less. Anyway might switch to cats claw and oral hygiene wash.

The abx are making me stupidly hungry. Which is giving me a bad headache and making it harder to sleep. Bloody typical.