• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Causes of low ceruloplasmin?

Hi everyone,

In my search to figure out what is wrong with me, I have recently tested low for ceruloplasmin I think it was 13.3 (range 18-30). Three months ago I also had the same test and register 18.2 i.e. borderline. I have slightly low serum copper, and very raised hair copper. My main symptom is physical fatigue ( can't walk more than 200 yards). I have been titrating zinc upwards from 3mg to 10mg over the past few months with no improvement. When I first originally took 15mg of zinc I felt awful, possibly because it dumped copper and stressed my adrenal glands. I have tried to boost the adrenals with 50mg Dhea, adrenal glandular, VIT C and pantothenic acid but have had little success. I seem to feel slightly better for a month or two then crash to my base level repeatedly. I have been working under the theory that my weak adrenal glands allowed copper to accumulate, and by strengthening the adrenals, and supplementing zinc I will improve. However my doc recently suggested that perhaps I have copper issues due to malabsorption. Can anyone share some views on this? I don't have any obvious gut symptoms. Did the candida diet for 3 months, and felt slightly better at the start but benefits waned... Thankfully am having urine copper tested in a few weeks to check for Wilson's but think this is unlikely... Are there any other causes of perceived copper toxicity apart from adrenal weakness, Wilson's and malabsorption?

Thanks all :)

Mij

Hi @burgeo10

I had below normal ceruloplasmin levels years ago. I also had low ferritin, took iron for 20yrs + until 5 months ago. What are your ferritin levels? Do you have gluten sensitivities?

I had H.pylori which I was treated for, but still had problems with absorption.

In the last year I started taking Pepzin GI, a form of zinc that helps heal the gut lining and improve gut health. I also take digestive enzymes. My ferritin is super healthy now and I no longer need to take iron. I don't know what my copper status is because I haven't been tested in a while, but I feel my gut is so much improved.

Last edited: