• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Lerner Has Cancer.

Gingergrrl

I am sorry to hear this, too, and have great respect for all our ME/CFS docs who voluntarily enter this field knowing they will face very difficult cases, lack of funding, and lack of support or even being ostracized by their medical peers. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Ecoclimber

Yes, it is sad news as he was a one of the leading pioneers in ME/CFS research. We lose another ME/CFS clinician for awhile I hope, which leaves just a few who are treating patients. It is a sad commentary on the health system in this country.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
He's left a big mark in cfsme, lets hope someone picks up the ball from lerners research and continues his work .

I know he had cfs which he treated himself , out of interest it would be interesting to see his viral titres and nk function now? I wonder if he ordered those tests on himself since his cancer diagnosis ? ?

SOC

I wish I had something helpful to say. :( Dr Lerner saved my daughter's future, keeping her in college and getting her into remission. He also improved my life significantly, from bedbound to mostly housebound. All I can do is send a card telling him how grateful we are for all he did for us and wishing him all the best. It's not enough.

Sickness sucks.

redaxe

I wish I had something helpful to say. :( Dr Lerner saved my daughter's future, keeping her in college and getting her into remission. He also improved my life significantly, from bedbound to mostly housebound. All I can do is send a card telling him how grateful we are for all he did for us and wishing him all the best. It's not enough.

Sickness sucks.

I saw Doctor Lerner about 6 months ago. Coming from Australia I felt it was a huge privilege to be able to consult with a doctor who has dedicated his life to researching CFS/ME. I found Dr Lerner to be warmhearted and generous - offering and even urging me to contact him if I ever needed help while I was staying in the USA - I've never met a physician who has offered help in such a personal manner before.

Even more remarkable that he has continued working well past the age that most people would consider retiring.
I believe it takes a very generous and kind heart for a doctor to serve the CFS/ME community so strongly over the past three decades.
This is a doctor who successfully treated his ME/CFS with antivirals and embarked on a personal and professional journey to produce research and treatments for the CFS/ME community.

The good news is that Dr Lerner's work is published on Jose Montoya's Stanford University site so his research has succeeded in influencing academics and researchers so Dr Lerner can be proud that his contributions to CFS/ME will be used in future research.

http://med.stanford.edu/chronicfatiguesyndrome/infections/herpes/herpes-experts.html

Ecoclimber

I would be curious if it is non-hodgkin lymphoma which ME/CFS patients have predisposition according to the CDC.

Daffodil

dr. lerner must be in his late 80s by now, right? maybe even 90s? if that is the case, the cancer might not be related to CFS...maybe it is just part of aging

A private Yahoo Group has been set up for patients of Dr. Lerner

Would you like to connect with other patients of Dr. Lerner?

Several patients of Dr. Lerner are organizing a virtual support group for patients to connect and share

This group will be private and only include current patients of Dr. Lerner

If you wish to join, please send me a private message with your email address and the moderator on duty will send you an invitation

The group is not endorsed by Dr. Lerner. However, we have contacted his office for Dr. Lerner's approval.

shannah

Does anyone have any news on how Dr. Lerner is doing?

Nancy Klimas mentioned something this week at CFSAC about 'showing him some love'.

Patients have always had good things to say about him and I know we've all really appreciated his activities and dedication these many years. I'm sure he'd appreciate some support from the community.

I'm reposting his office address for those who feel like reaching out to him.

A. Martin Lerner, M.D., M.A.C.P.
32804 Pierce Road
Beverly Hills, MI 48025

A private Yahoo Group has been set up for patients of Dr. Lerner

Would you like to connect with other patients of Dr. Lerner?

Several patients of Dr. Lerner are organizing a virtual support group for patients to connect and share

This group will be private and only include current patients of Dr. Lerner

If you wish to join, please send me a private message with your email address and the moderator on duty will send you an invitation

The group is not endorsed by Dr. Lerner. However, we have contacted his office for Dr. Lerner's approval.

Am a patient of his & wish to access that group, if they'll take me. How do I get my email to you without blabbing it to the rest of the universe?