• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair advice pls (UK)

Plum

I need to get a wheelchair so I can leave the house. Something that folds so it can go in the car, and it needs to be fairly robust. I'm in the UK. My partner would be pushing me! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Debbie23

Hi, plum

I have this one http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=216 from that dealer rented through motablity as buying outright would have been impossible for us. We needed a wheelchair that would fold to go in our car which isn't huge, but which could be used by a carer with the motorised control. I did loads of research and found this as the best compromise. We have the attendant control system which means my mum can drive it from the back so she's not pushing the weight of it, just steering it, as when I get very tired I struggle to drive the chair, my spatial awareness goes and I get visual disturbance etc. so it's great because with the push of a button a carer can take over and drive from the back.

I also have leg raisers on it and a head rest so it's surprisingly comfortable and supportive. I don't manage to get out much myself, or even use it a lot in the house, although we've just moved and my bedroom is now downstairs so I may be able to use it a bit more than I have, fingers crossed. But we've been extremely happy with it so far. :)

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I got a manual wheelchair through the NHS, my husband usually pushes. We found the manual attendant ones difficult to manoeuvre, and also because of the small wheels I was stuck in whatever position my husband had left me in. So we swapped it for a self propelled one as it has bigger wheels which are easier on kerbs when someone is pushing you and means I can turn myself round if I want to look at something etc.

As my strength has got a little better I can also self propel a little in shops with nice smooth floors without it being too energy intensive. The only one problem is it doesn't have brakes on the handles, only on the wheels so its hard work pushing down hill for the carer. I think you might be able to get an NHS one with handle brakes but not sure if that's an option on self propel ones...happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Plum

Thanks @justy I was thinking of getting 1 like yours - seems more sensible, and like you say you can at least move yourself a little. Does it do well outdoors? I'm thinking of going on 'walks' with the dog and my partner pushing me?

@Debbie23 your chair looks super! A lot of money though as you say. Would be nice to not have to rely on someone to push me but alas I can but dream :)

Debbie23

Thanks @justy I was thinking of getting 1 like yours - seems more sensible, and like you say you can at least move yourself a little. Does it do well outdoors? I'm thinking of going on 'walks' with the dog and my partner pushing me?

@Debbie23 your chair looks super! A lot of money though as you say. Would be nice to not have to rely on someone to push me but alas I can but dream :)
It is a lot of money, as I said we couldn't have afforded it if motablity didn't make it possible, but I know not everyone could do that. I thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

Something I do know you can get which will attach to a regular self propelling wheelchair is something called a power pack. Would this help your partner at all to push the chair? We had one and it was supplied in the NHS my mum used to use it when we went for 'walks' it doesn't turn a manual chair into a powered one but can help the chair to go a bit more easily up hills etc, I believe ours even had brakes although I'm not 100% sure if I'm remembering that accurately. It doesn't help the user to move the chair however it's strictly for the carer to help them push. We had one of these for several years and got on fine barring a few issues, we looked for something else because my mum has her own health problems now and it wasn't strong enough because you have to push it as well as it having the motorised wheel. It may be totally unsuited to your needs, I just thought I'd say about it in case it's helpful to you or anyone else. :)

Debbie23

Do you know about the cost of them? I'm in the US, and the ones I see to attach on the wheel are $6000! I'm curious if they make cheaper ones.
I'm not 100% sure of the actual cost that it would cost you to purchase privately, as we had a couple of makes supplied to us over the years we had one. A quick Google shows that the types of ones we had, seem to start from around £550 upwards. We had this type of thing;

https://www.activemobility.co.uk/wheelchair-power-packs-c319_78_255/index.html

If you wanted to buy one privately and have it shipped, I'm not sure if you could get it cheaper if you shopped around or not. But that's the kind of thing supplied to us by the NHS wheelchair service. A quick google about that seems to imply it depends on the local authority as to whether they supply them now or not as well. So that's disappointing if that could be a solution for anyone in th UK. :(

Plum

It is a lot of money, as I said we couldn't have afforded it if motablity didn't make it possible, but I know not everyone could do that. I thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

Something I do know you can get which will attach to a regular self propelling wheelchair is something called a power pack. Would this help your partner at all to push the chair? We had one and it was supplied in the NHS my mum used to use it when we went for 'walks' it doesn't turn a manual chair into a powered one but can help the chair to go a bit more easily up hills etc, I believe ours even had brakes although I'm not 100% sure if I'm remembering that accurately. It doesn't help the user to move the chair however it's strictly for the carer to help them push. We had one of these for several years and got on fine barring a few issues, we looked for something else because my mum has her own health problems now and it wasn't strong enough because you have to push it as well as it having the motorised wheel. It may be totally unsuited to your needs, I just thought I'd say about it in case it's helpful to you or anyone else. :)

Thank you so much for the suggestion - I will definitely look into it. Can't imagine it'll be much fun for my partner to push me up a hill so every little bit helps!

taniaaust1

I just use a normal standard looking kind but mine had to have raised legs (I can push myself across a room but not much further so require a helper when out).

I suggest to check out freecycle (I noticed they have that in other countries too including the UK) and ask there if anyone has one to give away (someone may have one sitting in their shed!). I've twice seen people giving away a wheechair through that in my country so it's probably worth a go esp if you are having trouble getting one through your NHS.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Plum, the NHS ones are only any good on paved surfaces or well maintained tracks. we always have to find decent places to walk with dog - the regular countryside doesn't work im afraid. I would really love an off road wheelchair as I live on a bridle path and cant even leave my house for a walk! Pushing up hill is hard, but if your partner is fit and well it should be ok. Sometimes I get out and walk a little uphill, but I cant always manage it.

Plum

Hi Plum, the NHS ones are only any good on paved surfaces or well maintained tracks. we always have to find decent places to walk with dog - the regular countryside doesn't work im afraid. I would really love an off road wheelchair as I live on a bridle path and cant even leave my house for a walk! Pushing up hill is hard, but if your partner is fit and well it should be ok. Sometimes I get out and walk a little uphill, but I cant always manage it.
Thanks @justy. I cannot do hills. Even little ones! But my partner is fit - he does this thing called cycling and this other thing called running. I am in awe of these people! I shall look into off road wheelchairs as I'd quite like one I don't have to plan too much for. And the good dog walks always tend to be away from decent paths. I'm guessing they'll be expensive - oh well, I can dream! Thanks again for your help x

Calathea

Mine's an NHS one, my partner pushes me all over Edinburgh with it. I agree with Justy, get the ones with self-propelling wheels. They're easier to push, and there will be moments when you will want to self-propel briefly, e.g. when your partner is busy holding a door open for you, or to get a bit closer to something in a shop.