• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drugs that activate brain stem cells may reverse multiple sclerosis

Ema

"Two drugs already on the market — an antifungal and a steroid — may potentially take on new roles as treatments for multiple sclerosis. According to a study published in Nature today, researchers discovered that these drugs may activate stem cells in the brain to stimulate myelin producing cells and repair white matter, which is damaged in multiple sclerosis. The study was partially funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), part of the National Institutes of Health."

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/apr2015/ninds-20.htm

drob31

This could be why these two drugs have a positive effect? The treatment works but for a different reason...

alkt

a very interesting article .hopefully it will be beneficial to humans too.

funkyqueen

I seen this article too and found it very interesting :thumbsup:

Something I'm not sure I understand: I read everything and its opposite:
- PWME, unlike MS Sufferers do NOT have the reach of the white matter
- ME sufferers have many micro lesions in the white matter, but not visible to the MRI
- they have found lesions in the white matter in the brains autopsy of ME patients

So ? What about us? :-/

Last edited:

drob31

I seen this article too and found it very interesting :thumbsup:

Something I'm not sure I understand: I read everything and its opposite:
- PWME, unlike MS Sufferers do NOT have the reach of the white matter
- ME sufferers have many micro lesions in the white matter, but not visible to the MRI
- they have found lesions in the white matter in the brains autopsy of ME patients

So ? What about us? :-/

I'm not sure about all of the symptoms, but white matter lesions are a classic symptom of hughes syndrome, which is caused by sticky blood and poor circulation.

out2lunch

IV miconazole was used decades ago to treat fungal meningitis. Hmm. Fungus in the brain. Sounds like we're entering Shoemaker territory with CIRS.

CIRS as a trigger of MS. Or Alzheimer's. Or Parkinson's. Or ALS. Yadda yadda yadda. ;)

No one here should be surprised by this finding.