• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Substantial relief from alcohol

Bdeep86

Does anyone here get notable relief from drinking alcohol and the following day? Usually strong pure alcohol like vodka..ect. Generally lasting through till the next day. I have been trying to figure out why I feel so much better the day following alcohol use. I believe it pertains to its influence on epigenetics as its very widespread relief.

gregh286

Hi.
Yea figured.this relationship ages ago.
its a huge vasodilator.
we have major blood flow issues in small vessels.....alcohol allows for increased flow.
red.wine works best.
glass in morning.and then afternoon helps massively.
Thats what i tell my wife anyway....its medicinal.
vodka and spirits hard on liver...

deleder2k

After 1,5 to 2 bottles of wine i feel almost completely healthy. It lasts until afternoon next day before pain, cramps and dizziness gradually comes back at me.

ukxmrv

I feel much worse after alcohol regardless of the type and no benefits the next day

Is it a boy/girl thing or maybe a POTs difference?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Yes - I can be pretty symptom free with alcohol but unlike you some symptoms feel much worse the next day.

ETA - It does help superficially with sleep. I know they say that alcohol disrupts the quality of sleep in healthy people but even poor quality of sleep may be better than none.

Last edited:

rebar

I've experienced both, earlier in my illness I was drinking 5 to 6 beers a night, and I felt better for it.
Since then there have been phases where as little as one sip would cause extreme negative consequences, and the
onset was rapid. I'm now in a period were I can drink a little, and I do, one beer a night. The period early when I was consuming a 6 pack a night may have contributed to a significant decline.

gregh286

I noticed that vasodilators helped me hugely.....red.wine...sauna...hot bath.
said to doc and he put me on istin.....calcium channel blocker......has made.a huge difference to me.
expanding of small vessels helps oursubgroup.
So...if you want max effect dissolve istin in the red wine and drink it in the bath.
an hour later your sorted.

Battery Muncher

I've had both experiences - sometimes improving on alcohol (red wine), sometimes crashing very very badly.

However, as someone mentioned above, my symptoms always get worse after the alcohol wears off.

Strawberry

Wine is my best friend. My legs are still fatigued after a glass, but at least they don't try to give out after a few seconds. And my sore throat is gone.

Hard alcohol usually affects me in a bad way in the long run as it is grain based. But gluten free drinks are my medicine.

It also improved my sleep as I used to not sleep deep until about 3 in the morning, then had to get up at 5:30. Alcohol let me sleep the first half of the night. In moderation... ;)

Bdeep86

Yes i'm not suggesting that alcohol is by any means a cure for CFS. While I think vasodilatation is a part of it, I theorize that the mechanisms are much deeper.

gregh286

A brain chemistry reaction?
Still think vasodilation is major player as reaction with me is identical when other vasodilators are used (bath...istin..etc) without alcohol.
Fatigue lowers...legs lighten....fog gets clearer....feet.warmer and hands lose tingling.

greeneagledown

My experience is similar to @Marco. While I'm buzzed or drunk, my symptoms are much better, particularly my brain fog. For a few hours, mentally I feel almost 100%. But afterward, I feel much worse than I normally do. I'm guessing the vasodilation improves symptoms temporarily, but the dehydration is what makes me feel worse afterward. I also have digestive symptoms from ME, and alcohol makes those worse.

I do think the fact that alcohol benefits some people, at least temporarily, is some kind of evidence that the Norwegians might be on to something when they speculate that a blood flow problem might be at the heart of ME.

gregh286

Maybe we are all just freaks of.nature with small blood vessels.:(

I know for sure my vasodilation is brutal. In the cycle test at KDM clinic BP went from 140/90 at rest to 249/100 in 5 mins light cycle. This is exactly what fluge/mella hypothesis is based on....low blood flow in small capillieries.

I would hazard a guess that anyone who gets alcohol relief would face the same spike in BP during exercise.

Why are our capillieries not.dilating properly or automatically when they supposed to is the burning question.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Impaired vasodilation is plausible. Anecdotally a major problem for me is heat intolerance and small blood vessels in the skin carry a lot of the load in maintaining core body temperature. Even prior to onset when I was fit as a fiddle (swimming every day) I still got very red and flushed with exercise and took a long time to cool down again.

An alternative or complementary mechanism may be through alcohol's inhibitory effects on neurotransmission (primarily through GABA although it's a messy drug). Jarred Younger suggests (and I agree) that a key problem in ME/CFS is that activated microglia interpret normal physiological signals as danger signals and it's plausible that alcohol may dampen this effect temporarily.

Impaired vasodilation might also result in peripheral ischemia that would in turm ramp up these 'danger' signals so the problem me be both peripheral and central.