• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

heart problems and root canal/dental procedure(possibly extraction)

Please help to decide and give inputs. im really confused :(
Espicially for people who have tachycardia, palpitation problem and have experience root canal, or bigger dental procedure.
Im really sad i have to go through this again. When im in no better condition even not good instead. im sensitive to chemical, perservatives, additive, even from food i could get an episode. :(

My upper wisdom tooth is rotting and dentist say it needs to be removed but since ive never done it and had heart issue(tachycardia, palpitation really bad) and adrenaline sensitivity, overexcitation. i think its risky. and after it will also need lots of pain killer?

So dentist will try root canal. My wisdom tooth is not sideways though the position is kinda hard to reach and i might have to consult more and get an xray too cause it seems it might be difficult for wisdom tooth to get succesful root canal.

anyway, for root canal there are 2 options. kill the nerve with drug and wait couple of days untill it dies or inject anesthesia with no epi (maybe) and pull nerves in 1 day (im going have to ask too about anesthesia i dont know what it will be or if its available)
but i heard its also not easy to do it without epi and it also hutrs. now if i kill the nerve first the drug contains Arsenic (they said only a little) and some other ingredient which i dont know. if someone know could you give some info. theres also a risk with it. also i was thinking what if on the day i wouldnt be able to go, etc. so it gives me worry but i thought maybe i could tolerate it, if things get bad maybe i could remove it. and ive done it before although i got sick from it.

I used to had a root canal years ago. my condition was different from now although im already got ill. they kill the nerve first using arsenic which i think was stronger due to the dentist was old school cause they said should be removed in 3-4 days. Anyway on the second oppointment after it, i got worse for around week i forgot how long exactly. due to my heart, i dont know what caused it. They said they dont use anesthesia but i dont know. Is it due to other drug. Or the arsenic (but arsenic was put on 3 days ago i dont know if they after or not) or the sterilization. point is i dont have a clue but on later weeks after apppointment where they only fill the holes etc i was fine. and permanent filling is ok too.

i know some people use anesthesia with no epi but i dont know if it really wont cause any excitability, heart issue. and if it works to kill the pain to the root? etc. and even if its available i also heard the dentist ability to inject also counts.

Thanks for whoever replying. :star::mug:

Last edited:

Sean

I have had 3 wisdom teeth pulled, on 3 different visits. Wasn't fun but glad I got them done. Just had standard local anaesthetic, plus some painkillers for the next 2 days, which I didn't always need.

Mine came out relatively easy, so that helped.

Get one taken out at a time, and let it settle down, before going back for any others.

I wouldn't worry too much about the various drugs they use, dentists are usually only using fairly mild versions and low doses.

Pay attention to what the dentist says about taking care of the empty tooth socket, especially for the first 2-3 days. It is not hard to do, but if you don't do it right you can end up with serious pain (from a dry socket), and other problems, and you will have to get back to the dentist.

It is a fairly intense procedure, especially the first time, and it can be exhausting, especially if the tooth takes a while to get out. Try to have somebody to drive you home afterwards. Don't drive yourself if you can avoid it. Maybe take a taxi.

No matter how unpleasant dental work might be, including for ME/CFS patients, it always ends up worse if you don't get it done, and as early as possible. Not just for your oral health but also for your general health.

Nobody likes going to the dentist, it is not fun. But imagine what life was like before we had modern dentistry. No thanks.

All the best. :thumbsup:

@Sean you use regular local anesthesia with epi? And you dont get heart issue from it or you dont have tachycardia, palpitation issue usually?

Because even only with drug for cold which contains epinerphrine i got issue or steroids for eyedrop , etc.
MSG also caused me overexcitation. and food coffee, banana, etc.

Last edited:

Sean

I don't know if the anaesthesia had epi in it.

I often get some tachycardia and palpitations, in many different situations. It is not nice, but as long as I don't have to stand up for long it can usually be managed.

These symptoms can be unpleasant, but they are not going to kill you, and it will be over soon enough. Pulling a tooth usually doesn't take long.

I avoid cold tablets. Just use a saline nasal spray, stay hydrated, and let your body do its job.

I do like bananas. :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Sean you use regular local anesthesia with epi? And you dont get heart issue from it or you dont have tachycardia, palpitation issue usually?
I have had several wisdom teeth out. I went to a dental surgeon, not a regular dentist. He used an anesthetic without epi--something like carbocaine. I specifically asked for that and he was fine with it. I'd never get one with epi. There was no problem with this, he just had to do more injections because they don't last as long. Afterwards, I just kept ice on my face and took an over-the-counter pain killer for a day.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The usual standard for dental anesthesia has been lidocaine. I don't think this would be an issue for heart rhythm but you could ask.
I would suggest dosing up on electrolytes before the procedure.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. Wisdom tooth extraction at your age is quite common though.

You might want to consider having the others out if they present an oral health problem (one at a time).
Taking the tooth out when it has rotted can make the procedure a little longer because the tooth tends to be brittle and break.
Good luck to you.
I hope it all goes well. :bouquet:

@Sushi @Snowdrop thanks for sharing and info :)
How about root canal? Or is it better to extract it?
Anyway what about the pain after it and bleeding during the procedure is it bad?
What pain killer you take, does paracetamol work? I try to take 1 during dental work (regular drilling, filling) to help with pain but seems it doesnt help.

I know its common its just my heart issue and overexcitation that makes it problematic :(

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
My experience with my children who are about your age would be that extraction would be better. A tooth with a root canal may need work done later on -- a crown or it still may need to be removed later. A root canal removes the pulp --and replaces it with a rubbery substance called gutta percha. The tooth is no longer alive a so without the blood flow from the nerve (pulp) it becomes brittle.

If the extraction is straightforward as most are than there is generally only mild pain after the anathesia wears off and it doesn't last long.

Most people are given a pain relief Rx that they use only use one or two pills from. Paracetamol is often Rxed it depends on the Dr and the location. Dr's here in Toronto for example might offer a Rx of Tylenol with codeine. Others will pull out the big guns and offer percocet or similar. They are generally not needed.

If Paracetamol doesn't work for regular dental care -- I assume you mean fillings -- then you may need something more. Tramadol if it's available to you might work.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
How about root canal? Or is it better to extract it?
Anyway what about the pain after it and bleeding during the procedure is it bad?
What pain killer you take, does paracetamol work?
With wisdom teeth, I think extraction is better. In the long run they are likely to cause trouble and they aren't necessary for proper chewing. They pack the site after extraction and you take that off a few hours later. Bleeding wasn't a problem. I just took paracetamol once or twice afterwards and kept an ice-pack on the cheek on the outside.

Have never had root canal treatment but my new dentist- who has removed all my mercury fillings for me, hurray- said that if I ever needed root canal work I would have to consider whether I wanted to stress my immune system by having the work done; I got the distinct feeling that she felt extraction would be preferable for somebody coming at it from a ' not in peak health' angle. So I guess it's also about viewing possible long term implications, too.

Do you have mitral valve prolapse? Some dentists / doctors recommend antibiotic prophylaxis if so, depending on severity of prolapse.

Good luck

Mels

Have never had root canal treatment but my new dentist- who has removed all my mercury fillings for me, hurray- said that if I ever needed root canal work I would have to consider whether I wanted to stress my immune system by having the work done; I got the distinct feeling that she felt extraction would be preferable for somebody coming at it from a ' not in peak health' angle. So I guess it's also about viewing possible long term implications, too.

Do you have mitral valve prolapse? Some dentists / doctors recommend antibiotic prophylaxis if so, depending on severity of prolapse.

Good luck

Mels
i dont know for sure, heart test that ive ever got are ecg and echo most of doctor say its ok but theres 1 that says theres seems to be a tiny little hole.
anyway ive never had an extraction or other procedure before that requires anesthetic espicially since i got sick so it scares me off. :(
(the only 1 i had was appendix surgery when i was 6 it wasnt pleasent as well)