• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need Tips for International Travel

perchance dreamer

I have low blood pressure and always add salt (Celtic or Himalayan) to my drinking water. When I fly, I take salt with me to add to water.

I take a boatload of supplements and at different times of the day and find these small zip locks invaluable for organizing them for travel. I ordered them from AZ:

http://www.amazon.com/Locking-Plast...=1438362329&sr=1-4&keywords=bags+2x2+100+bags

I really despise packing! It takes me days.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I take a boatload of supplements and at different times of the day and find these small zip locks invaluable for organizing them for travel
Depending on the country's customs rules, they may or may not let you bring in supplements in zip lock bags. Some countries want them in the original bottles--takes a lot more space! But if they might confiscate them, it is necessary.

perchance dreamer

Yeah, it would be horrid to have supplements confiscated. I've been lucky when I've traveled to England, Italy, and France. I had no trouble at all, even with Xyrem.

My nutritionist travels all over the world and to many 3rd world countries. He takes a typed list of all his supplements, plus a page from the internet describing each supplement and showing its ingredients. With that documentation, he's never had a problem.

But maybe that wouldn't work for some countries. Better safe than sorry, but it wouldn't hurt to ask customs ahead of time if providing documentation rather than carrying all the bottles would be acceptable.

Daffodil

make sure you use a wheelchair at the airport, if not mentioned earlier. i made the mistake of being embarassed and not using one when i travelled so many times and once i almost collapsed. also, when you ask for special accomadations (wheelchair, help with bags whatever) make sure you dont lay it on too thick cuz once the airline became suspicous that i might be too sick to even get on the plane and almost demanded a doctor's certificate!

2Cor.12:9

make sure you use a wheelchair at the airport, if not mentioned earlier. i made the mistake of being embarassed and not using one when i travelled so many times and once i almost collapsed. also, when you ask for special accomadations (wheelchair, help with bags whatever) make sure you dont lay it on too thick cuz once the airline became suspicous that i might be too sick to even get on the plane and almost demanded a doctor's certificate!

@Daffodil - Good points to remember. Yes, I'm having a hard time with the idea of using one because I've traveled extensively throughout the US without one - but the trips were much shorter and I wasn't having a major relapse either. My husband would be pushing but we don't know what we'd do with our luggage - any suggestions?

Daffodil

@Daffodil - Good points to remember. Yes, I'm having a hard time with the idea of using one because I've traveled extensively throughout the US without one - but the trips were much shorter and I wasn't having a major relapse either. My husband would be pushing but we don't know what we'd do with our luggage - any suggestions?
2cor....i would get someone from the airline to push the wheelchair. they all have that service...you just sign on a sheet when you go to pick up the wheelchair...then wait for someone to come and take you. also, you can get someone to drive you in one of those carts but i am not sure how to arrange that...i always see them and wish i was on them lol

you could also check the luggage...

We hung one bag on the back of the wheelchair. Backpack style was good so it could hang evenly. One smaller bag on my lap, and one backpack on his back. We can't handle more bags unless we have a pusher who works for the airport or airline.

also, you can get someone to drive you in one of those carts but i am not sure how to arrange that...i always see them and wish i was on them lol

I don't believe the carts are an advantage for me, compared to being in a wheelchair with pusher. They are a little faster, but I'm never in that much hurry.

They aren't as fast as I thought, because they are constantly slowing down and stopping for people.

For some reason, the airports have a policy where carts cannot take you into a different terminal, so I end up having to get off the cart and into a wheelchair anyway.

The advantage of a cart is the person I'm traveling with gets a break for their legs too. It's hard on them if they are pushing especially with 2 or 3 bags.

Last edited: