• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are there any good sources of income other than disability benefits for us?

trickthefox

Hi guys!

I am in full receipt of Personal independent payment, and employment supportment allowence, but sadly it does not cover my mostly meat very restrictive diet which really adds up, and the private medicines I need to take each month. I am housebound so can't get any work outside the house (i live with my mum too so housing benefit isn't an option) Also i'm in the UK and as i've already been sick for years, signing up for medical insurance wouldn't be financially viable at this point

Are there any additional sources of income anybody has found? This could even be online jobs, creative approaches people have found to making money, or charities/support that people have been able to access?

Love!

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
My brother supplements his income by buying DVDs, particularly box sets, when they are heavily discounted. He holds on to them for a while, then sells them on ebay. The last time we talked about it, which was about 5 years ago, he was making about £3.5K a year for not too much work (and paying tax on it!)

It wouldn't have to be DVDs, just anything where you have a fair idea of the usual market value and you either know about the product or would be prepared to learn. Obviously you'd need some starting capital and convenient access to a post office (or a helpful friend) if what you are selling won't go through a post box.

skipskip30

You have to be careful about what you do, most money making things are against the rules while on ESA. And permitted work does not allow for anything where you dont get a regular pay cheque.

There are charities that give out grants and help for all sorts of things though.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
You have to be careful about what you do, most money making things are against the rules while on ESA. And permitted work does not allow for anything where you dont get a regular pay cheque.
That's a good point. I'm still able to work so don't usually think about that.

Here's some info:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-people-living-disability-or-health-conditions

I have a friend with epilepsy who was on PIP and ESA and was allowed to work up to 16 hours a week (or £104 according to the website). Worth looking into.

skipskip30

That's a good point. I'm still able to work so don't usually think about that.

Here's some info:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-people-living-disability-or-health-conditions

I have a friend with epilepsy who was on PIP and ESA and was allowed to work up to 16 hours a week (or £104 according to the website). Worth looking into.

PIP or DLA doesnt impact on how much you can work so if you are just on one of those then theres nothing to worry about (youd have to check if you have to let them know about it or not however). Of course being able to work might have an impact on you getting it next time.

You cannot legally earn a single penny on ESA without applying for permitted work as far as I know. This is fine if you are going to get a part time job and earn the same amount each week, though again it can effect you getting ESA next time.

The trouble comes when you want to do something that has an irregular income. This doesnt fit in any of the check boxes for permitted work so its down to a decision makers decision if you can do it or not. Based on my experience of wanting to offer some paintings for sale online, the decision is no.

And of course because of the recent terrible election result we can only expect this to get worse over the next 5 years.

Everything ive written is based on 6 month old information so do check very very carefully with official sources before doing anything as everything changes a lot.

Sorry to be the voice of misery.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
The trouble comes when you want to do something that has an irregular income. This doesnt fit in any of the check boxes for permitted work so its down to a decision makers decision if you can do it or not. Based on my experience of wanting to offer some paintings for sale online, the decision is no.
Sorry to hear that. The world truly is a dumb place sometimes.

skipskip30

Sorry to hear that. The world truly is a dumb place sometimes.

It really is! I wasnt even allowed to offer them for sale and give 100% of the money to charity if i sold anything.

The permitted work rules basically allow you to earn £5408 a year if you were well enough to do 16 hours a week and found a good part time job. Why not let anyone in the ESA support group earn say £1000 a year by any means without having to tell them about it? It would cut down on work for them and allow people to sell the odd home made thing on ebay worry free.

If the benefit system wasnt life or death for some of us in the UK it would almost be laughable over how crazy it all is.

trickthefox

Not that I am in any way suggesting you break the law, or abuse the completely well constructed and compassionate benefits system - heavens forbid, but if a friend of a friend of yours also painted,I'd probably have a friend of a friend of mine who would tell them to sell the paintings cash in hand, and not declare it and feel totally 100% fine about it

Very silly system!

skipskip30

Not that I am in any way suggesting you break the law, or abuse the completely well constructed and compassionate benefits system - heavens forbid, but if a friend of a friend of yours also painted,I'd probably have a friend of a friend of mine who would tell them to sell the paintings cash in hand, and not declare it and feel totally 100% fine about it

Very silly system!

I wouldn't blame you but I also suffer from anxiety so its not worth the mental stress for me to work around the system.

caledonia

This is why many people on disability work "under the table" for cash, and don't report that they're doing irregular work.

There are many disabled people selling on ebay. How can they tell if you're just cleaning out your attic and selling off your stuff or not? A thousand or two a year is not that much (but as you know it makes a big difference if you're on disability).

caledonia

I've been approached by someone in the grocery store who was on food stamps (nowadays it's a debit card). The deal was, they would pay for your groceries if you gave them 50% back in cash. As food stamps can only be used for food, they can then take the cash and use it for items other than food (I'm guessing cigarettes or whatever).

I was having a foggy day, and didn't understand what was going on or trust them, so I turned them down, but I watched someone else do it. They took the cash and left straightaway (maybe it was for drugs?).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
A few weeks ago, somebody posted on the forums a link to an employer in the UK to do with science editing of some sort (copy-editing, maybe). They said you train on-site for two weeks and then you work from home.

Does anyone remember anything about that? I've looked all over the forums and can't find it. Someone was asking me.