• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

salt = headaches? any advice?

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.
Hi all,

So I've been taking salt now for about 4 weeks. I started with only a pinch with water in the morning and have built up to just over half a teaspoon.

The last few days (about 5) I have been getting killer headaches, much much worse than any I normally get. Not even the triple whammy of paracetamol, ibuprofen and a cooling head cloth was making a difference.

I stopped taking salt 3 days ago and yesterday my headache wasn't as bad, and today it's not painful but still got a lot of pressure and uncomfortable feeling - like a headache without the pain.

So my question to others who have tried salt is, do you think it's causing the headaches? Was taking it in the morning my mistake?

I should point out that I'm only about 75% sure that the salt is causing the headaches, it could be stress, or a combination of things, I was even considering my fruit tea as a cause but I've been drinking that for years, the vanilla tea I love is newer only been drinking that a couple of months so that's also a possibility. I'm left with the normal problem of how am I supposed to work out what causing what!?!

Any suggestions or advice welcome.

@Raines - Proper electrolyte loading requires more than just sodium. At the very least, it should probably include potassium as well. I use a "Lo-Salt" salt substitute from the supermarket which has 67% potassium and 33% sodium.

I also back off on the electrolytes and drink more water if I get a headache, nausea, or thirst.

Raines

Thanks @Valentijn
I didn't get that potassium was also needed, I think I need to do more research into salt and electrolytes and then try again.

@Raines - There are also boxes of little packets you can buy to mix into water. I'm using the "Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak" by Trace Minerals Research, and usually add extra Lo-Salt to it.

Raines

@Valentijn
I see those packs come in various flavours too, I will try them out.

Still amazed that somehow while looking into salt water it didn't click that salt and water was an electrolyte mix, blame the brain fog!!

barbc56

@Raines

Are you taking the salt for low blood pressure, POTS, or sodium deficiency? As @Valentijn said the right balance is important. We can both attest to the effects of low sodium and how dangerous it can be. On the other hand if you don't need the extra sodium, salt can cause high blood pressure.

Take care and welcome to PR!

Barb

Raines

@barbc56 I'm trying salt for self diagnosed POTs (or somthing similar).

I have done many poor mans tilt tests and get some possitive results, some almosts and every now an then a no. I thought I could try the salt and see if it helped, but as I was doing it wrong I will give it another go.
My BP hasn't changed since I started taking the salt. I have been keeping an eye on that.

I will just start slowly and see what happens.

Raines

I just wanted to add an update, encase anyone else makes the same mistake I did and finds this thread.

I have been taking one of the recipes from the page Mij links to above for about 3 weeks now, no headaches (or no unusual headaches) now I'm taking the right stuff.

I haven't yet noticed a difference but I'm still building up slowly.