• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Minocycline - overstimulation and insomnia

Thinktank

I've been prescribed another round of antibiotics for my lyme disease (and gut dysbiosis - possible overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria, bacteroides - producing too much d-lactate and l-lactate.).
This time the lucky ones are minocycline 100mg once daily and cefuroxime 500mg twice daily.

I seem to tolerate cefuroxime pretty well but minocycline is like speed to me!
I took 100mg last night with dinner and within an hour or so i felt extremely overstimulated. Usually i fall asleep around 22:30 but with minocycline i couldn't sleep until 4:00... the overstimulated feeling is subsiding but the next dose is already in a few hours.

Does anyone know what the biochemical cause may be of the overstimulated feeling by minocycline?
I have the same reaction to almost all so-called neuroprotective and adaptogenic drugs/supplements. B-vitamins, caffeine and lithium orotate being the worst.

Side effects:
Sweating
Increased body temperature
Vasodilation
Mild depression
Restlessness
Excessive urination
Excessive thirst
Skin dehydration
OCD behavior
Depersonalization

Helen

Hi @Thinktank

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had some of these side effects too, and didn´t recognize them as side effects which was pretty scary. I suddenly got depressed for the first time in my life , but on and off during the day. I also had severe insomnia (fell asleep at 2-4 a.m.) and couldn´t at all refer this to the Lymecycline. I got reminded of side effects from a PR member and just want to join you in alerting others who are going to start Lymecycline treatment what might happen. The symptoms went away when I stopped taking the abx. Sorry, I have no answer to your question.

xrunner

Hi @Thinktank
What you described is hypersensitivity to the drug, it usually lasts only a couple of days but if it doesn't go away after three four days I'd go back to the doc.
I always took Minocin early in the morning on an empty stomach, half an hour away from food, that way absorption should be better.
As for the other side effects, if you can take high dose probiotics (e.g. VSL 3, Lactobacillus GG, B. bifidum) over the long term the abx will rid of the bad ones whilst the probiotics add good ones, that should help your immune system to be less reactive to supps and meds (but in case you also have Bartonella you'll have to treat that too).
Best wishes.

Hanna

@Thinktank , I took minocycline 6 weeks last year, at the beginning of my Lyme treatment (before moving to Lymecycline/tetralysal). First days were a little bit tough I recall, but my memory isn't that sharp. And after initial period, the drug had a calming effect on me, quiet the opposite...

Thinktank

@Helen, did you have those side effects from lymecycline or minocycline? I have also used lymecycline for 3 or 4 months, it had quite an anti-inflammatory effect on me.

@xrunner, yeah i guess it's hypersensitivity, my CNS is all messed up.

Actually, according to the leaflet minocycline is best absorbed postprandial. I need to take it with food because it's kinda hard on the G.I.

I don't tolerate VSL 3 and most other probiotic mixes any longer. I believe to have developed some kind of sensitivity to a few strains. Also lactobacilli causes a feeling of acidosis. I've ordered two bifido-only products to start with.

@Hanna,
What dose did you take? I split the pill in half yesterday but it was still too overstimulating so i'm going to skip it for the next few days to get to baseline, the reintroduce @ 25mg.

xrunner

@Thinktank
I've never heard of any tetracycline should be taken with food...

How should this medicine be used?
Minocycline comes as a regular capsule, a pellet-filled capsule, and a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken twice a day (every 12 hours) but may be taken up to four times a day. Minocycline should be taken on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Drink a full glass of water with each dose. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take minocycline exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682101.html

Hanna

@Helen, did you have those side effects from lymecycline or minocycline? I have also used lymecycline for 3 or 4 months, it had quite an anti-inflammatory effect on me.

@xrunner, yeah i guess it's hypersensitivity, my CNS is all messed up.

Actually, according to the leaflet minocycline is best absorbed postprandial. I need to take it with food because it's kinda hard on the G.I.

I don't tolerate VSL 3 and most other probiotic mixes any longer. I believe to have developed some kind of sensitivity to a few strains. Also lactobacilli causes a feeling of acidosis. I've ordered two bifido-only products to start with.

@Hanna,
What dose did you take? I split the pill in half yesterday but it was still too overstimulating so i'm going to skip it for the next few days to get to baseline, the reintroduce @ 25mg.

I took the regurlar dose of twice 100 mg minocycline a day (morning/evening), 30 mn before breakfast/dinner, as 1 hour prior to ingesting food was too though for me. At that moment I didn't know how soothing cabbage juice was...

Thinktank

@xrunner, i think you are right. I'm so confused at the moment :(, it's probably cefuroxime that needs to be dosed postprandial.

@Hanna, wow 200mg daily, you are really brave.

Hanna

Yes, cefuroxime is best taken 15-30 mn after food.

Not brave @Thinktank , just the minocycline went smooth. That wasn't the case this month with the cefuroxime I had to stop after 8 days. Not the one I was fearing of... but I couldn't continue. had to have a break.

After a whole year on tetracycline combos , I wonder how long this will continue. I have some improvement sure, but not to the point to cease beeing house bound.:thumbdown: