• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scary situation

GONZ0hunter

So this will take a few minutes to explain but it's very scary.

I can't drive because I have epilepsy and my pain meds, so I depend on others to get to my ivig infusions every 3 weeks. Yesterday my sister took me and grabbed lunch.

My brothers mother in law is in currently in the hospital recovering from heart surgery. She had some issues with her kidneys as well. Her sister was in town and I guess she has a staph infection and was in sepsis.

My sister visited my bros mother in law after dropping me off and then came back to the immune center.

I get a text later that night, my bro mother in laws sister may have a extremely communicable highly drug resistant form of Tb. The cdc locked down Her ward and are working on testing everyone.

So it's possible my bro mother in law has it and could have exposed my sister who brought it back to thE immune center. We will get more info today but it's kind of scary.

alex3619

Sorry you are going through this, but its not confirmed till its confirmed. Right now its only a risk. I had a similar thing happen when I was in hospital a couple of years ago, only for MRSA, not TB.

TB resurfaces from time to time, its not something we have fully eradicated via vaccines.

sscobalt93

Just stay positive. That's all you can do right now.

Also did you know they are using TB to treat bladder cancer? Maybe this is a reason why it is resurfacing. I had a coworker who was treated for bladder cancer by this. He said it was so painful

Sounds like there's no point planning for anything right now, and hopefully it'll all be fine. Fingers crossed for you.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I get a text later that night, my bro mother in laws sister may have a extremely communicable highly drug resistant form of Tb.
When I worked in a hospital and visited such patients they were in rooms with the air flow controlled to keep infectious agents in the room. We were masked, gloved, gowned and bootied when entering such rooms and I think that is standard. Can you ask your sister if these precautions were taken?

GONZ0hunter

When I worked in a hospital and visited such patients they were in rooms with the air flow controlled to keep infectious agents in the room. We were masked, gloved, gowned and bootied when entering such rooms and I think that is standard. Can you ask your sister if these precautions were taken?

She was in negative pressure room because she was septic, but it's a 2-8 week incubation time so we are concerned she passed it before the hospital.

From what I understand she was upgraded to a airborne pathogen isolation room after the cdc showed up. This isn't a big time hospital she is in.

sscobalt93

@GONZ0hunter Just remember even if you come contact with it doesn't mean you will get it. I know it's scary stuff, but a positive mind set it going to only better you overall. She was dealing with a virus at the time so her immune system is compromised. I assume you're not immune compromised, right? Just stay positive! Thinking about ya!

GONZ0hunter

I'm immune compromised. Selective ige subclass 3. The one with th lungs and sinuses.

I'm not overly worried about me, I was at a immunologist getting infusions when I was second hand exposed. Technically I'm 3rd level exposed. My sister would be second hand that came from the hospital to me,

I'm more worried about the other Pts

Daffodil

maybe the ivig will help prevent it?

sounds similar to when I was in a hospital ER just as the SARS outbreak began. the careless hospital had not implemented any safety precautions and just after I left, they were forced to shut the entire building down! crazy.

sscobalt93

I'm immune compromised. Selective ige subclass 3. The one with th lungs and sinuses.

I'm not overly worried about me, I was at a immunologist getting infusions when I was second hand exposed. Technically I'm 3rd level exposed. My sister would be second hand that came from the hospital to me,

I'm more worried about the other Pts

I'm sorry I am new here. I didn't know that. Im glad you're here though :) and is your sister immune compromised? Hopefully not!

sscobalt93

@GONZ0hunter - That's good news! I try to find the positive in the negative. Hopefully she's healthy enough it doesn't even effect her. Any update on the situation?

sscobalt93

Dang! You would think that since the CDC is involved they woulfbhave already of gotten the results for the TB test though..

GONZ0hunter

We still haven't heard so I don't know what happened other then they keep pulling go out of her lungs. Looks like Guinness. She is stil in a bubble room

It's pretty frustrating

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Does the goo in her lungs mean that she has TB or is it from the septic Staph (or the kidney issues)? Poor woman!

GONZ0hunter

She still is septic.

They haven't told us yet. I'm too sick to go see her so I am relying on my bro.

She is super tough though. They grew up in Austria and their town traded in ww2 several time between the Russians and nazis. During one thanksgiving my 8 year old who loves ww2 asked her what the nazis were like.

She said "the nazis were not that bad, they brought us chocolate, the Russians were really bad"

My son repeated this in his first grade class. We all had to talk about it with the principle hahahaha