• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Having somebody wash your hair

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Thanks. Looks like the head will drop into the sink if not held by something...

I think it claimed there was an inflatable pillow, but like in a salon maybe they mean for the washer person to hold your head while they wash.

But the shower cap looks like it could be easy! I knew they made dry shampoo but it's not particularly easy (except the alcohol-based kind you spray in, but that kind makes hair feel weird, and I guess would not be good for long-term use). That shower cap one looks like it could be easy.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Right now I am able to take a bath but my mom is assisting me with washing my hair b/c my arms are so weak and I get out of breath easily. I felt humiliated at first but a woman came to our house and cut my hair short so now pretty quick to wash. I only wash it once a week which for now is working. I know this is not your direct question but can you take a bath if someone helps you?

So far I haven't allowed anybody to help me take a shower. I just can't. I'll bite the bullet as long as I can.

I ordered some No-rinse shampoo and body wash, so I will do that myself.

Showers are one of the most dangerous things that I / we can do, as I have learned very painfully. Sponge baths are the way to go. Even if I am as well as being able to go out, I still will not shower as that act alone can set me down for weeks! I don't know what it is.

People here who are taking weekly showers, even with all the limitations, should reconsider that decision. Those things are definitely preventing any small improvements.

People here who are taking weekly showers, even with all the limitations, should reconsider that decision. Those things are definitely preventing any small improvements.

I used to agree with that until i got the electric bath chair. I can slide straight from the top of the bath onto the wheelchair now and then i get pushed to bed. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Though i dont wash my hair every week, i wouldn't miss a good muscle soak for the pain. (Can't get as much body soaked though because of the chair using up space when its fully lowered into bath)

When i think back to when i used to get stuck in the bath for hours and hours during rare washes and now at the push of a button i'm lifted up out of the water. Even if i can't slide off straight away, it saves the danger of lying in freezing water.

Just praying the OT doesn't ask for it back or he'll have a fight on his hands.

Gingergrrl

@Dr.Patient I am no longer taking showers since not in my own home and no longer have my shower chair. Am taking a bath with my mom's assistance for the hair washing part but can do the rest myself. The difficulty is raising my arms to get shampoo & conditioner off my hair. I realized I am okay with my moms help but would never allow my husband to do this and would hire a paid caregiver first if it ever got that far.

Misfit Toy

So far I haven't allowed anybody to help me take a shower. I just can't. I'll bite the bullet as long as I can.

Showers are one of the most dangerous things that I / we can do, as I have learned very painfully. Sponge baths are the way to go. Even if I am as well as being able to go out, I still will not shower as that act alone can set me down for weeks! I don't know what it is.

Dr. Patient-when I had my wrist surgery there was no way I could wash my hair or take a bath, or shower. At least on my own. I had a cast on.

I hired someone to come in and do it. I know you say that you will not hire somebody or you will wait as long as you can but let me ask you something… Isn't it so nice to feel clean? It's actually an act of love and kindness to have someone bathe you. At first, I felt demoralized and then I realized....yes, I like being clean so screw it.

Sponge baths are good, too. I will do what I need to do to be clean.

I understand the energy factor. I manage to bathe (in tub) everyday, but wash my hair only twice a week. My hair is dry, so that's fine.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Dr. Patient-when I had my wrist surgery there was no way I could wash my hair or take a bath, or shower. At least on my own. I had a cast on.

I hired someone to come in and do it. I know you say that you will not hire somebody or you will wait as long as you can but let me ask you something… Isn't it so nice to feel clean? It's actually an act of love and kindness to have someone bathe you. At first, I felt demoralized and then I realized....yes, I like being clean so screw it.

Sponge baths are good, too. I will do what I need to do to be clean.

I understand the energy factor. I manage to bathe (in tub) everyday, but wash my hair only twice a week. My hair is dry, so that's fine.

Yes, very demoralizing. That's the word I was looking for. Not ready for that much demoralization ....

Gingergrrl

Yes, very demoralizing. That's the word I was looking for. Not ready for that much demoralization ....

I felt that way too but worked out a system with my mom that works well and she only helps me wash the shampoo & conditioner off my hair and not in room the entire time. I am not actually strong enough to turn the water on & off (she has an ancient bath tub) so she does this part as well. Not sure what I will do next week when move into new apt with my husband but hoping I will be stronger then as new apt is mold free (we had it tested) and I will buy a new shower chair with a back. He is happy to help me but that feels demoralizing in a different way vs. my mom helping me. Can't really explain why but figure she washed my hair when I was a child so trying to think it is not that different?

Misfit Toy

I understand that @Gingergrrl. When I think of a mom I think of someone who helps you and who's known you and who's seen you when you were a child, taken care of you and who mothers you.

When I think of a husband, I think of him seeing me at my best. Of course, I know that's not possible but having someone like your husband bathe you is hard. It's vulnerability at its finest.

You want to have this feeling of independence and ability and especially when it comes to bathing. But your husband sounds like a gem. He's a good guy, but it would still be hard.

I'm so glad you found an apartment that's mold free. To a new move and to your life and health improving. And with being as ill as you are, thank you for your response to the post I wrote about gypsy girl.

Gingergrrl

When I think of a husband, I think of him seeing me at my best.

Too late for that LOL. He still thinks I look cute and all I can think is that love is truly blind.

But your husband sounds like a gem. He's a good guy, but it would still be hard.

Thank you @Misfit Toy and like I said, if it gets to that point, I will hire a caregiver or continue to have my mom help me.

I'm so glad you found an apartment that's mold free. To a new move and to your life and health improving. And with being as ill as you are, thank you for your response to the post I wrote about gypsy girl.

From you lips to God's ears and I am hoping our new mold free apt brings some positive changes to my health. And happy to help with the other GG and glad she is safe now. Very proud of you for helping her.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I felt that way too but worked out a system with my mom that works well and she only helps me wash the shampoo & conditioner off my hair and not in room the entire time. I am not actually strong enough to turn the water on & off (she has an ancient bath tub) so she does this part as well. Not sure what I will do next week when move into new apt with my husband but hoping I will be stronger then as new apt is mold free (we had it tested) and I will buy a new shower chair with a back. He is happy to help me but that feels demoralizing in a different way vs. my mom helping me. Can't really explain why but figure she washed my hair when I was a child so trying to think it is not that different?

Have you ever watched the movie "Out of Africa" ? If not please watch WITH you husband, or if movies are hard skip through til. you get to the scene of Robert Redford washing Meryl Streeps hair. Maybe if you put it in that light, it won't seem so demoralizing. It might be touching, caring and even romantic : )
Let me see if I can dig up link of that scene.
HERE

Gingergrrl

@beaker I watched the clip but they both look so healthy, strong, and beautiful with perfect make-up on that it is so different than all of our situations! But I get your point and it is a nice clip that the act of washing someone's hair does not have to be demoralizing. Thank you for sharing it.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986

Last fall I was in hospital and had to have someone help me wash and also even more basic wipe my backside after , as Dave Barry would put it, "An act of Congress". male, female, nurse, aide or PT whoever was there. And at first it was humiliating. But I thought about how I felt when I had to help my mom in the past, and it put things in perspective for me. I was glad I could help her. And it didn't bother me in any way ( well except energy wise;-)
IMO Best thing is to keep a good sense of humor when getting and giving that care. And also having and opening yourself to receiving compassion.
No one wants to be in that position. But it is what it is.
By the time I could get a shower--With help-- I was ecstatic.
Now I am back to my shower chair, and most of the time on my own.
I can't take baths since this illness -- soaking in tub changes my core body temp and that drops the BP and makes me feel oh so very awful. But shower I can turn have water on and off doesn't do that.

Good luck. I hope you are never completely dependent on someone. But I have found that be able to receive help is as important to giving it.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
@beaker I watched the clip but they both look so healthy, strong, and beautiful with perfect make-up on that it is so different than all of our situations! But I get your point and it is a nice clip that the act of washing someone's hair does not have to be demoralizing. Thank you for sharing it.
I know they are young and healthy and it's not the same...Maybe a little Imagination can go a long way ? !! Some alcohol free wine or even water in a fancy glass and music if tolerated. poetry even just as RR recited to MS. Or just some lovely shared memory.A date night hair wash kinda thing.
Now if only I had a plus one.... my cat likes to lick my hair, but my imagination isn't that good :rofl::rofl::cat:

Its funny how people can accept certain help from certain people.

For me, i've had not too much problem having partners wash my hair for me but crindge at the thought of my mother doing it. I think its because i've never been allowed to show vulnerability and weakness to my parents, but it doesn't matter with a partner as much, if they're happy to do it.

alice111

@Gingergrrl @Dr.Patient And anyone else
I just bought this basin online for having someone wash my hair
http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Basin-Inflatable-Shampoo-Disabled/dp/B000JS0X64
It's freakin awesome!!! Has a little pillow built in to support ur head, it's super comfy and sturdy! Highly recommend it to anyone even if not bedridden who requires someone else to assists with hair washing :)
Don't have to be so "vulnerable" as u guys mention, can be fully clothed, don't have to get wet!

Gingergrrl

@alice111 it looks like a good product and I was wondering for people with neck injuries if it provides enough support where you don't have to support your own neck?

Also, do you have to blow it up or is it already inflated or come with some kind of pump?

Lastly, do you change the water when it gets too soapy? It seems like you'd need a fresh water source but in the picture the woman is lying in bed.

Thanks for any feedback and I am curious about this product now!

alice111

@Gingergrrl to answer your q's

-I don't have a neck injury.. But u do NOT have to support ur own neck! There is this awesome little extra pillow thing inside

-yes u have to blow up (obv someone would do that for u, or Ull pass out! Lol) no does not come with pump, but I'm sure u could get one! -it says u can use one with it

-there is a hose that drains the water out of the basin (so u have a bucket or pot)

-for fresh water u just keep pouring from a clean water source, there is also an attachment which I did not get but u could maybe use http://www.amazon.com/Ez-access-Ez-shower-Bedside-Shower-Pounds/dp/B000JQMHME/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_y

Hope that helps! :)