• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Could you please specify? I think bug dumping comes along with it :cautious:

I don't think a gut bug - I think maybe a cold or something. It's always hard to tell with me. A few days ago I had a brief spell of feeling a bit fluey and ill - thought I was coming down with something - and it disappeared but I've still got slightly worsened OI and feel lightheaded all the time. That happens sometimes and I assume it's my done-in immune system's reaction to me catching a cold. I don't get normal cold symptoms.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Asklipia and Sidereal had "flu detox" as well.

Is there such a thing?

I had a couple of days break from CB just in case it was causing these problems but I've been back on my 1/4 tab for the past couple of days.

Has it made anyone else's OI worse? I've been lightheaded for a few days now.

Crux

Beta-alanine causes me extreme tingling especially in the face. Weird sensation, analogous to being stabbed with little shards of glass, although I always analogized it to using a short-needle dermaroller all over my face, very quickly. From what I understand the tingling is pretty common. Is this becuase of its tendency to bind oxalates?

Just a caution about beta-alanine...
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/05/is-beta-alanine-dangerous-neurotoxin-or.html

There's very little about its side effects, other than the transient paresthesia, but since we do have many paradoxes here, and since I had some miserable side effects ; here's a warning.

After one low dose of beta-alanine, 750 mg., with a mild paresthesia, I had a night of 3hrs. disturbed sleep, and a day of strong anxiety, and neuritis in my lower legs.

Sorry about the off-topic bit....

Crux

@Gondwanaland ;

I doubt it, haven't had stones or trouble with high oxalate foods, that I know of. I have alot of neuro damage, though, so anything with that potential...I see that oxalates have that potential...
Beta-alanine has alot of neurotoxic potential, at least in rats, and me!

whodathunkit

I saw a warning about this when I was buying beta alanine the other day. It said to expect tingling when you first start this supplement. I guess it does mobilise this stuff.
I did some reading on it after it happened to me, and it appears not everyone gets the tingling. Perhaps only people with some problem with oxalates...?

alicec

Regarding B6, I am skeptical that this is a limiting factor for those who take prebiotics

Maybe, but the idea is that because of the reduced B6-binding capacity of the enzyme, very high levels of B6 are needed to drive the reaction (the upper recommended dose of 5 mg/kg is a considerable amount).

I have been supplementing B6 for sometime (but not to that level) and never tolerated the potato starch, so can't comment on that. My OAT tests suggest I am still marginally low in B6 but I can't seem to tolerate anymore supplementation. I hope the prebiotic strategy might straighten out that problem too! I am dreaming a bit more but have never experienced the vivid dreams described by some with the PS.

Thanks for reminding me about the peroxisomal stuff. I do have that paper but my once excellent memory is now appalling - I had forgotten all about it.

alicec

Has it made anyone else's OI worse? I've been lightheaded for a few days now.

Absolutely. I thought my NMH had disappeared (haven't had it for maybe 6 months) but it has been reappearing on and off over the last few weeks. It hasn't been obviously linked to miyarisan but since that is one of the main things I have changed lately there is a strong suspicion.

I took one last night, had a very disturbed night and this morning I'm very lightheaded. It does seem to be the miyarisan. Have been doing 1 every second day but maybe I need to cut back.

I suspect that my sympathetic overactivity is also exacerbated by miyarisan (lots of things stir this up of course but it had been pretty good but is bothering me a bit lately).

alicec

-What is the consensus regarding Miyarisan / AOR Probiotics?
-Which dose appears to be more beneficial?
-How much time we should wait to see any benefits?
-Are there any common side effects/symptoms that we should be aware of?

I don't think there is a consensus apart from start low and proceed cautiously. Dose and response are very individual.

Some people at least have seen results fairly quickly though it may take a while to find a good starting dose.

Gondwanaland

I have been coughing and sneezing my lungs out.
I must rectify myself here.
Ca. 10 days ago my husband and I took Boswellia serrata for lower back stiffness (him) and joint pain (me). On the 2nd dose he started with a terrible cough which evolved to a strong cold. It subsided with vitamin A for him, but he is still coughing a darkish mucus. I didn't have such reaction to the supplement, and had already stopped the Miyarisan, but I seem to have caught his bug (at first I though he was allergic to Boswellia) since I developed the same sequence of symptoms.

Last year though I had a flu detox from my 1st capsule of S. boulardii.

Sidereal

Well yes I still have the issue of no-longer being able to tolerate choline bitartrate. Really I am puzzled about what is going on but something will become obvious sooner or later.

What sorts of symptoms are you getting?