• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can people have rust fungus infections?

South

There are various species of molds in nature that are orange in color. Is what you found orange? It could be one of these other species rather than rust fungus.

Not saying this is great info, but for what it's worth...

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Do you use a disinfecting soak for your appliance?

yes. I had slacked off since my last GI infection (too sick to bother with details) but it has been there a long time. It is better now that I resumed soaking it, but I can never get rid of it entirely.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
It could be one of these other species
It just really strongly reminded me of rust fungus from microbiology text, but as that was a long time ago, and I didn't try to use a microscope to examine it, and as you say there are other similar things (color & texture), it's quite possible it's something else.

You could try growing it on grape pulp at room temperature (20ish deg C). Stop using mouthwashes for a few days, then work up some saliva (not sputum) from your cheeks and spit it into a jar of grape pulp. I think that a lot of us are infected with Sporothrix globosa, a recently identified subspecies of Sporothrix schenckii. Schenck grew Sporothrix on grape pulp 120 years ago so it should be good enough for us.

WARNING: Sporothrix acts on grape pulp as brewers yeast does; makes lots of carbon dioxide, so don't use a jar with a screw top or it will explode. Make sure the jar is well ventilated.
S. globosa stops growing at around 36.5 deg C so specimens cultured at 37 deg C (all specimens are cultured at 37 deg C) are negative. It should be cultured at 35 deg C but pathologists don't bother. Furthermore it will grow en vivo at temperate latitudes but cannot grow en vivo at low altitude on the equator (where we are losing heat 24/7 to keep our core temp down to 37 deg C), so it could be involved in the pathogenesis of MS.

It is also exhibits very low virulence in laboratory mice.

This fungus ticks too many boxes for comfort.