• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Massachusetts professors get pre-release screening of Forgotten Plague, go off to write papers

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Interesting thing on Ryan Prior's FB:

https://www.facebook.com/CFSDocumentary/posts/954994237864765

Forgotten Plague on FB said:
Honored to be a part of a seminar on ME this past Thursday. Professor Alan Goodman, a medical anthropologist at Hampshire College, hosted about a dozen professors for a full week of discussions on this disease, with researchers from the fields of communications, immunology, neurology, economics, and more. The professors were treated to a private pre-release screening of Forgotten Plague and it was great fun engaging with them afterwards in a robust, interdisciplinary dialogue about this disease and what needs to be done about it.

The professors, all of whom hailed from the Massachusetts' "Five College Consortium" (Mt. Holyoake, Smith, Amherst, Hampshire, and UMass-Amherst) will now shift toward publishing a paper on ME in an academic journal related to his/her prospective field.

Thanks so much to Dr. Alan Goodman for organizing the seminar. It'll be fascinating to see what larger ripples emanate into the world as a result of the conference!

Simon

Thanks, Sasha - and Ryan of course. And the profs...
The professors, all of whom hailed from the Massachusetts' "Five College Consortium" (Mt. Holyoake, Smith, Amherst, Hampshire, and UMass-Amherst) will now shift toward publishing a paper on ME in an academic journal related to his/her prospective field.
Now that is music to my ears. Will look out for this in the future

Denise

I look forward to answers to @Persimmon's questions.
(Some of his publications are listed here: http://sites.hampshire.edu/agoodman/research-and-writing/ . His Hampshire website seems to have last been updated in 2013 or so.)

FWIW - Amherst College does not have a good understanding of disability and chronic illness.

"The Mythical "Amherst Experience"

Earlier in 2014, while investigating options for accommodation upon returning to Amherst, I learned that Amherst does not allow any student — regardless of ability — to take fewer than three courses in a semester. "
http://amherststudent.amherst.edu/?q=article/2015/03/24/inaccessibility-amherst

I hope the other schools involved do much better than Amherst when it comes to disability and chronic illness.

Last edited:
Greetings! My name is Alan Goodman. I’ve been a professor of biological anthropology at Hampshire College in Amherst, MA for over thirty years. My research and teaching focuses on ways that political-economic processes “gets under the skin,” leading to vast array of health and nutritional outcomes. Much of my work focuses on chronic poverty, inequality, and racism in both the past and present. My Hampshire website is rusty but basically accurate (http://sites.hampshire.edu/agoodman/).

The faculty seminar on ME/CFS that I organized and designed and Ryan Prior mentioned grew out of both a personal connection and my academic/professional interests. (Thanks, Sasha and Ryan, for the mention!)

The personal. My wife, Chaia Heller, is a cultural anthropologist who taught for many years at Mount Holyoke College. This past fall, Chaia made the decision to end her much-loved teaching career due to a serious downturn in her twenty-two year struggle with ME/CFS.

The professional. “Culture, Heath, and Science” (CHS) (https://www.fivecolleges.edu/chs/) is an undergraduate certificate program for students in the Five-College Consortium (Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College, and the University of Massachusetts). This year, CHS was awarded a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to create programs that link liberal arts and professional education, including two interdisciplinary faculty seminars on a biomedical topic. I submitted a seminar, titled “The Riddles of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: A Hidden Disability and Social Justice Issue”.

During the week of May 18th, 2015, nine faculty members from the Five Colleges and disciplines including immunology, medicine, neurobiology, anthropology, sociology, economics and communications spend a week exploring the biomedical, cultural and political dimensions of ME/CFS. In addition to faculty presentations on how their own discipline might better understand ME/CFS, we brought in five patients/experts including Erica Verrillo and novelist Roger King (Love and Fatigue in America). We spent a lovely afternoon with Lenard Jason (DuPaul) and had the great pleasure of previewing Ryan Prior’s Forgotten Plague and talking with Ryan via Skype.

Faculty participants are required to develop an “outcome” such as student research projects, academic papers, materials to better inform health practitioners, new courses modules, and new courses.

We are hoping that this successful seminar may serve as a model for other scholars wanting to gain literacy in the history and reality of ME/CFS who will subsequently use their role as educators to in turn educate students and faculty on other college campuses.

Chaia Heller is hoping to circulate a more detailed report on the seminar in a few weeks. In the meantime, I wanted to send this memo to anyone interested in a brief outline of what we did and why!

Alan

Bob

Thank you, Alan, for joining us and for kindly providing an outline of your activities. A big welcome to the forum. And thank you for going to such efforts to promote understanding of this neglected illness. It sounds like a fascinating and worthwhile project that you facilitated. Very sorry to hear that your wife has had to stop work. I hope she sees an upturn in her health over the coming weeks and months. Thanks again for joining us, and for informing us about your activities and your personal interest in ME. We look forward to reading more about your project.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Alan, just trying to take it all in now - brains not too good right now, but what I read above sounds great. I am sorry you have had to have such a personal relationship with this illness and also wish your wife all the best.

I also cant wait to see the film - would love to get it screened locally in my village in my small corner of Wales. We have had some very successful film festivals despite being such a small community Ryan's film would be great to show to raise awareness. Its also great that people are thinking and talking about the political and social aspects of this misunderstood disease.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for developing this project ! It's always nice to hear of others being educated about this plague. I'm only sorry you have to know about it through someone you love. I look forward to hearing more on your program.

Battery Muncher

@alan goodman Welcome to the forum! It's great to see such an upsurge in academics and scientists taking an interest in our predicament.

I'm sure this is in no small part due to initiatives like yours, so thank you for your efforts. I look forward to seeing the report when it is circulated. Commismerations to your wife, and I hope her condition improves in the coming months.