• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best way to reduce lactic acid burn / PEM?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
When I "over do" it, I get lactic acid burn and muscle aches all over.

Ribose seems to help in some cases.

Is there any rescue remedies that get rid of muscle aches and pains you'd recommend?

Sherpa

Thanks folks! I have been trying creatine (MagnaPower by Albion) per your suggestion and I think its really helping!

I just got finished with an almost an hour of yard work, took 500mg of creatine and 5g d-ribose before, no aching at all!

Valentijn

D-ribose has never had any effect on me, and creatine just made my entire body swell up for a while :(

Sherpa

Beta alanine looks interesting, also. Thanks @Martial. This study suggests Beta Alanine supplementation dramatically increases carsonine in muscles of elderly people and improves their exercise capacity. I am not elderly but my muscles sure do feel quite weak.

One women with muscle aches writes in a review of Beta-Alanine:
"These are not just for athletes or those who work out regularly. I am a middle age woman who tends to get sore muscles. As stated in the description Beta-Alanine is converted to carnosine by the body which in turn removes the build up of acids from your muscles. Whether the acid is from foods or exercise, this product does wonders to make my muscles feel their best. I will not be without it."

Sherpa

I've been on beta alanine (800mg t.i.d.) for a few days now and I seem to have less muscle aching. The supplement gives a pleasant tingling effect and I'm not as couchbound towards the end of the days.

I recommend researching this supplement to anyone suffering from muscle burn after very moderate amount of activity.

Last edited:

Changexpert

Another effective supplement for lactic acid reduction is citrulline malate. I have not tried it personally, but a lot of body builders report good effect from it. Keep in mind that citrulline is cycled to become arginine, and malate will increase the level of malic acid by shifting the equilibrium, which can cause problems in some people.

Last edited:

RUkiddingME

I will be looking into the above recommendations. The last couple of weeks I have been getting bad lactic acid burn in my body from just standing!! Totally new symptom for me. Yes I would get it from climbing one flight of stairs but never with only standing. My arms burn as well just by using them.

Another effective supplement for lactic acid reduction is citrulline malate. I have not tried it personally, but a lot of body builders report good effect from it. Keep in mind that citrulline is cycled to become arginine, and malate will increase the level of malic acid by shifting the equilibrium, which can cause problems in some people.

@Changexpert, can you or someone that has insight please elaborate on why citrulline malate or malic acid could cause issues for some? Lately i have been dosing about 2 to 3 grams on an empty stomach as i heard it could help with ammonia clearance and i also seem to notice increased energy, better NO production, and boosted mood(maybe from less BH4 being used to clear ammonia?) I am homozygous for A1298C. This evening i experienced quite the opposite in terms of energy and am trying to determine what caused it. Only major change was dosing about 3.5 grams of citrulline malate(2:1 ratio) vs usual 2 or 3 grams. But my whole body crashed hard, felt like physical fatigue, whole body/muscle relaxation. I also looked in a carb drink i had 1 scoop of and noticed is has a thing called "alpha-a-polylactate blend" for muscle energy? Not sure if that correlates to Lactic acid.
TLDR: can someone elaborate on malic acid causing equilibrium issues?

Mimicry

I get horrible lactic acid burn with PEM and noticed that D-ribose helps a bit. I’m still desperate to alleviate my PEM symptoms so I ordered BCAA, citrulline malate and beta alanine (I haven’t tried those before). Ugh, the amount of money I spend on supplements.... This illness SUCKS.

Mimicry

You might also look into your thiamin level, that has been shown to reduce lactic acid.
Good to know! I get thiamin from my B complex tablets I’ve been taking for the last couple months, but I guess it’s worth looking into. Thanks :)

Mimicry

A complex may not be the best way to go. It may have the wrong ratio of B vitamins for your needs. Some of us have vastly different needs for various B's.
I’ll keep that in mind! I’ve taken methyl-B12, methylfolate, B6 and biotin on their own but haven’t tried thiamin separately.