• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there any threads or articles giving clear EBV testing interpretations guidelines?

SunMoonsStars

Where would I look to learn about Viruses and Testing here?
I don't see it under any categories of symptoms or treatments or other.

I am looking to see if others have posted there EBV test results and interpretations.

Anyone who can point me in that direction much appreciated.

SunMoonsStars

I think my searches are just not working right . Not sure why.
I probably should delete this thread but I do not know how..
? Sorry

If I search on just normal google i come up with a bunch of responses to
EBV testing interpretations etc.

I do not know what i am going wrong in the Phoenix Rising search

SunMoonsStars

Attachments

• Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 14

SunMoonsStars

Thank you Tina
I am still do not see a real great interpretation as it seems each doctor thinks differently of the tests and if its really an issue or infection or just what we carry.

I have positives in all four categories of VCA IgM VCA IgG EA IgG EA and NA
I keep reading it can depend how high each one is but if there is a IgM I read if your over 25 its reactivation vs initial which makes sense.

I need help interpreting my EBV results. I understand that these results indicate past infection only, but the numbers seem really high. Thanks for your help.

EBV AB VCA, IGM <36.0
U/mL 0.0 - 35.9 U/mL
Negative <36.0
Equivocal 36.0 - 43.9
Positive >43.9

EBV EARLY ANTIGEN AB, IGG <9.0
U/mL 0.0 - 8.9 U/mL
Negative < 9.0
Equivocal 9.0 - 10.9
Positive >10.9

EBV AB VCA, IGG 119.0 H
U/mL 0.0 - 17.9 U/mL
Negative <18.0
Equivocal 18.0 - 21.9
Positive >21.9

EBV NUCLEAR ANTIGEN AB, IGG >600.0 H
U/mL 0.0 - 17.9 U/mL
Negative <18.0
Equivocal 18.0 - 21.9
Positive >21.9

The first one is a test to see if you are having a 'primary' infection. You are not having a primary infection.
The second one will be an indication of whether you are currently having a reactivation. You are not currently having a reactivation.
The third and fourth are indicative of whether you have had past reactivations. You have been having reactivations.

Does that clear it up?

You might have figured this out already but just in case: I should have been a little more clear about the meaning of 'primary infection'. The first time you are infected is called a 'primary infection'. It is at this time that the IgM antibodies are created. After you recover from the first, 'primary' infection, your body will probably not make IgM antibodies again. IgM antibodies will linger for a while, but eventually, they will be removed from your blood and levels will drop below the 'reference' values.

When you have a 'reactivation' of a virus, more of the IgG antibodies will be created.

It's interesting to me that the EBV NA (Nuclear Antigen) IgG AB (antibody), and EBV VCA (Viral Capsid Antigen) IgG levels get so high. I have a suspicion that the high levels of these antibodies actually interfere with the body's ability to fight the virus. I wonder if they are an ineffective immune response that interferes with other, more effective antibodies by blocking them. If so, it would explain why medications such as Rituximab are effective. Rituximab rids the blood of antibodies.

Prolonged fasts will also lower antibody levels in the blood. I once tried a multi-day fast but felt so unwell after the second day that I gave up. I'll have to try it again and see how I feel afterward.

ryan31337

A related question for those more knowledgeable:

A friend had some screening done with Armin Labs, part of that was an EBV EliSpot test which came back very strongly positive for the lytic (not latent) test, with notes suggesting tests indicated "current cellular activity against EBV".

Does anyone have an opinion on that? Are these EliSpot tests considered accurate? Should perhaps he follow it up with the traditional IGG/IGM test?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

It sounds like the ELISA test found some IgM antibodies. According to the CDC, when this test returns a positive, the next step is to get a Western Blot test. If possible, I recommend requesting that bands 31 and 34 be included in the testing. They are routinely excluded because there was an inoculation that was commercially sold that targeted these antibodies. That's too bad because those two bands are very diagnostic. If your friend does not think they have had that inoculation, I would very strongly suggest asking to have those bands included in the test.

Oh, and a final word, it might take some time before a WB test will show results if the infection is very new. Your friend might want to skip waiting and start a 30-day course of Doxycycline together with a probiotic yeast called Sacromyces Boulardii.

Paul