• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For people around London - free talk by Prof Newton and Jason Ellis Tue 26th May 2015

worldbackwards

There was talk about Julia Newton not being entirely on-side, so I'd be interested in what she has to say in that sort of environment.

Surely for a POTS expert, 'standing up for fatigue' is a bit of a bad pun.

Eeyore

I've been generally impressed with Dr. Newton's work, and follow it regularly. If I were in the area I'd certainly go listen to her (although that's a transatlantic flight for me).

She's doing some good basic science, although she is focused on fatigue, which I've never really though is a very important part of ME. PEM or even exercise intolerance are important, but "fatigue" is too general. Still, she is looking at muscular fatigue a lot, which is interesting - not just doing banal surveys asking people if they feel tired. A lot of her work is also focused on primary biliary cirrhosis, a disease that is generally believed to be unrelated to ME (it's an autoimmune disease that causes extreme fatigue, although I suspect it's more through the same mechanisms that cause fatigue in patients with liver failure - but I'm far from an expert on PBC). She's generally interested in how we define fatigue and what it means, and if it's mediated through final common pathways in diverse diseases. She does high quality science though, and it's all psychobabble free - so she's worth listening to.