• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Slow Theta Brain Waves Common in pwME/CFS ?

Wayne

I ran across the following, and was wondering if "excessive slow wave activity" is something that's been documented in pwME/CFS, or if it's just this particular blogger's opinion.

Persons with Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD, ADHD), head injuries, stroke, epilepsy, and often chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, are often observed with excessive slow wave activity (usually theta and sometimes excessive alpha). When an excessive amount of slow waves are present in the executive (frontal) parts of the brain, it becomes difficult to control attention, behaviour and/or emotions. Such persons generally have problems with concentration, memory, controlling their impulses and moods. They can't focus well and exhibit diminished intellectual activity.

PeterPositive

It is likely that there's a connection.
I guess the resulting brain waves are a consequence of the severe issues going on with fibro and CFS.

States like anxiety and hyperexcitability are usually characterized by beta/gamma waves and can be balanced with activities that induce slower rhythms (calm music, meditation, deep breathing etc...)

Drowsiness, lack of focus, etc... are very likely to be related with low alpha / high theta states, unfortunately it's much more difficult to reverse them with specific activities. Especially when the cause is a lack of physical energy, inflammation, hormonal imbalances etc...

In the past I've experimented with transcranial EM stimulation. It can help correcting both brain fog and anxiety to a degree, but it's not a definitive solution.

There're both pros and cons: it can substitute various treatments, it's non invasive and it should be safe, although I am not aware of long-term studies. The cons are lack of comprehensive research, expensive machines or treatments and in general it's not for everyone. Some people may benefit from it, others not much.

Here's an article on pain reduction via TMS
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18208