• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

why are grains bad? benefit to elimination?

ebethc

Why do some ppl benefit from giving up grains (vs just gluten)? Is it the carbs? lectins? something else that causes problems?

which symptoms improved?

A lot of grains are contaminated with mycotoxins/mold, and organic grain supposedly has glyphosate contamination.

Also grains feed existing candida infections which most people are infected with. I think it's over 90% of people and probably a higher percentage of us.

If you don't find that grains make you worse, I wouldn't bother cutting them out as they are often pretty cheap and convenient and a lot of the evidence used to support different diet claims seems to be pretty rubbish.

Last edited:

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
I don't know how it is for others, for me it has to do with gluten cross-reactive foods:
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/03/...re-eating-gluten-even-after-giving-it-up.html
Hi @ahmo I don't doubt that you have reactions to these foods, but the gluten cross-reactive idea is bunk. If you look up Dr. Fasano or any other Celiac / gluten intolerance experts replying about this, they all say it is a myth, one that has been repeated over and over on the Internet without proof. Many people with Celiac or wheat allergies also have other allergies or intolerances (and corn is a common allergen) but there is no gluten link with these specific foods. I am celiac and eat everything on this list without issue. Here is a good debunking of the one study that suggested this:
http://paleomovement.com/19-gluten-cross-reactive-foods/
Obviously you should not eat any food you have a reaction to. just trying to get the facts out there, as many people with celiac or gluten intolerance find bad or conflicting information on this issue.

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
oh...and also to add that some follow-up studies that looked at these foods found that the problem was cross-contamination not cross-reaction. eg - instant coffee that had wheat products as a filler.
Oats have been studied very extensively, as they were the only item on this list that was originally thought to be legitimately cross-reactive, it turns out they are all just heavily contaminated with barley and wheat. For those with Celiac / wheat allergies / gluten intolerance you need to buy ones that have been grown, harvested, milled and packaged separately from wheat and barley. They need to be labelled gluten free (or labelled as tested to be free from gluten/wheat, as oats can't have a gluten-free claim in some countries)

snowathlete

I think the idea that all grains are bad, is a misconception and an oversimplification. A common, trendy idea without much, if any, science behind it. I think the explainations for why grains are supposed to be bad are even more flaky.

In my personal experience, I developed lots of food intolerances, at first due to ME/CFS but I could still eat almost everything (some things like gluten would cause more fatigue and some foods would upset my digestion) and later my intollerances got severe when I went on a long course of antibiotics.

Over the year and a bit since my antibiotics I have improved my gut health and my gut flora has recovered a bit, and I am now able to tolerate things I couldn't before. For instance, I had toast this morning (homemade bread) and am currently drinking a coffee - both these things are new additions in the last week or two. But even when I was at my worst, I ate porridge every day (oats and oat milk) as well as rice every week.

I actually think it's possible that grains may be somewhat essential in helping restore ful gut health. But it is well worth testing out whether certain foods, including different grains, are causing you issues and trying to address that, which may involve cutting those foods out of your diet on a temporary, or permanent, basis.

Wayne

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

A lot of grains are contaminated with mycotoxins/mold, and organic grain supposedly has glyphosate contamination.

Also grains feed existing candida infections which most people are infected with. I think it's over 90% of people and probably a higher percentage of us.
In addition to that, for me the excess fibers from whole grains impair mineral absorption, plus this:
http://paleoforwomen.com/flax-marij...n-sources-you-might-not-know-youre-consuming/
http://paleoforwomen.com/how-to-know-if-you-have-low-testosterone/

ahmo

Can you tell me how much the test is please?

I don't know what test you mean. Cyrex labs does testing, but I haven't used it. I self-test, and try things, see how I react.

I don't doubt that you have reactions to these foods, but the gluten cross-reactive idea is bunk. If you look up Dr. Fasano or any other Celiac / gluten intolerance experts replying about this, they all say it is a myth, one that has been repeated over and over on the Internet without proof. Many people with Celiac or wheat allergies also have other allergies or intolerances (and corn is a common allergen) but there is no gluten link with these specific foods. I am celiac and eat everything on this list without issue.

Oats have been studied very extensively, as they were the only item on this list that was originally thought to be legitimately cross-reactive, it turns out they are all just heavily contaminated with barley and wheat

Thanks Kyla. I learned of this from thyroid experts during the Thyroid Summit last year. So far my body has consistently rejected grains and potatoes.

Mij

I soak all nuts, seeds and grains in distilled water overnight. It does make a difference with my digestion. I think like nuts, there is phytic acid in grains too.

ebethc

ebethc

I soak all nuts, seeds and grains in distilled water overnight. It does make a difference with my digestion. I think like nuts, there is phytic acid in grains too.

what does the soaking accomplish?

Gondwanaland

I question myself if there isn't mineral loss with the soaking though. Once I read that the Selenium is in the Brazil nut skin.