• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with CFS

I just had my annual thermogram of my head today (to keep an eye on my thyroid nodules) and this time it showed my sinuses draining like crazy. In previous years thermograms had shown my sinuses were inflamed. So I thought that was interesting!

Forbearance, do you think a thermogram would show up a fungal infection/ inflammation better than a CT scan? I don't know much about thermograms!!:rolleyes:

Has anyone done their homework with Biotrek? Are they more reliable than RealTime Labs? Their webpage looks professional...

Last edited:

cigana

I haven't read the whole thread - it came up when I was doing my due diligence on the Real Time Labs myco toxin test, which I was going to send off tomorrow. There seems to be some pretty troubling stuff on the reliability of the labs owner, a pathologist called Dennis Hooper. I'm not going to take the test as a result of what I've read so far.
That's a bit concerning, could you summarise what you read?

@JCamp are you showering right after sweating? My doctor said to do it to rinse the toxins off. You might want to do it even after an epsom bath.

Yep - always rinse after sauna and bath. It seems to be histamine related. I took some Benadryl a couple of nights to help with sleep -- no rash after morning sauna after those nights. But last night, no Benadryl and then has a rash this am. Still thinking it must be a good sign.

Ema

I haven't read the whole thread - it came up when I was doing my due diligence on the Real Time Labs myco toxin test, which I was going to send off tomorrow. There seems to be some pretty troubling stuff on the reliability of the labs owner, a pathologist called Dennis Hooper. I'm not going to take the test as a result of what I've read so far.
Did someone let you know about the BioTrek option? It's a lot cheaper than RTL too.

http://biotreklabs.com/

Forebearance

Forbearance, do you think a thermogram would show up a fungal infection/ inflammation better than a CT scan? I don't know much about thermograms!!:rolleyes:
Well, I'm not sure if it would be better than a CT scan. Thermograms measure heat in the body, so they are mainly used to detect inflammation. They are good at spotting the hot kinds of cancer, which are the fast growing ones.

They aren't covered by insurance, as far as I know, but they are fun to do because they don't hurt at all, and you can do them as often as you want. Make sure you go to a thermographer who is a member of the American College of Clinical Thermography. That way your scan will be read and interpreted by a radiologist. The place I use is: http://www.radianthealthimaging.com

sianrecovery

I just got some CSM from Woodland Hills pharmacy - no aspartame or sucrose - result. And a BEGi spray. I tested positive for MARCONS and a mold via the nasal swab test.

The essence of what I read about Denis Hooper was that he was an incompetent pathologist with a perchant for losing investors money.

Ifish

I just got some CSM from Woodland Hills pharmacy - no aspartame or sucrose - result. And a BEGi spray. I tested positive for MARCONS and a mold via the nasal swab test.

The essence of what I read about Denis Hooper was that he was an incompetent pathologist with a perchant for losing investors money.

Sianrecovery,

In any start up business, especially businesses of this nature, the loss if investor money is a likely outcome. It is high risk, high reward. Investors that lose money are always unhappy about it. I don't think the fact his investors lost money on one or more prior ventures is necessarily a negative reflection on Hooper. On the other hand, Real Time Labs appears to be successful, so I suspect there are some who invested in that company who are quite happy about it.

Hooper's history has come up before. I did post a letter written by him that gives a little of his side of that story. It is not enough for clarity, but food for thought anyway. Here it is again.

Attachments

• EC3_and_Hooper_Response_-_July_7,_2014.pdf
    101.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

sianrecovery

Thanks Ifish, I read the letter with interest. I have no means of knowing the background directly, but I do believe that there is a great institutional resistance to recognising the reality of mold illness. And casualties of it abound, both among professionals and patients.

Ifish

Thanks Ifish, I read the letter with interest. I have no means of knowing the background directly, but I do believe that there is a great institutional resistance to recognising the reality of mold illness. And casualties of it abound, both among professionals and patients.

The truth is hard to find, that is for sure. The financial incentive to resist the idea that mold can be dangerous is enormous. The cost to remediate is big, but the liability for causing illness is even bigger. So suppose you own an office building or an apartment complex with major mold issues and multiple people claiming symptoms that might be permanent and debilitating. Then incentive to resist liability and to find experts who will support your position in negotiation and possible litigation is great.

On the other side of the ledger, there is not a great deal of muscle to back those who claim mold to be dangerous. It really is a smattering of little guys who are trying to sound the alarm.

You may be familiar with two published reports in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report in 1994 and 1997 which blamed the deaths of 10 infants in Cleveland Ohio on stachybotrys chartarum exposure. In 2000 an update was issued which stated that no such causation was established. One has to wonder how much of a role nonscientific influences played in this decision.

Last edited:

sianrecovery

Its simply not in anyone's interest to investigate this. Except those affected. The insurance, medical and construction industries - massive vested interests - stand to lose billions.

Skiii

I chuckle that any time we have a negative side effect like a rash, fatigue, anxiety- we're all like "Oh, it's a good sign!"

On a positive note, I've been back on treatment for a week and so far no nasal irritation. Onward!

pemone

Can you point us to what you have seen?

Soundthealarm21

For what it's worth on RTL, each time i've had a worsening of symptoms that last an extended period we've done air quality testing and found stachy and then in turn did RTL and saw elevated mycotoxins (tricothecenes specifically). I mean take that with a grain of salt as it's anecdotal, but I don't think it's just a bunch of made up numbers on piece of paper.

I hope everyone is hanging in there and finding some hope and encouragement.

I just wanted to give an encouraging update. My husband has been on the Nystatin protocol for about a year. In January he was doing really well, better than he had been in years. However, at the beginning of February his atomizer broke and he had to go 5 days without doing the treatment. He crashed, having to go through all sorts of initial die-off again. It set him back at least three months. The good news is that the past few weeks have been wonderful again. He's had many more good days/hours than bad ones. He's sleeping way less and has less pain and fatigue. His brain is working again. I'm excited to see what the next weeks and months hold. He's getting his life back.

I just wanted to give an encouraging update. My husband has been on the Nystatin protocol for about a year. In January he was doing really well, better than he had been in years. However, at the beginning of February his atomizer broke and he had to go 5 days without doing the treatment. He crashed, having to go through all sorts of initial die-off again. It set him back at least three months. The good news is that the past few weeks have been wonderful again. He's had many more good days/hours than bad ones. He's sleeping way less and has less pain and fatigue. His brain is working again. I'm excited to see what the next weeks and months hold. He's getting his life back.
Wonderful news! So happy for you and your husband. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity-- Is he taking the nystatin daily?