• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New label for my chronic stomach pain - anyone else have this one?

mermaid

@chipmunk1 yes I have seen 'functional' used in the way you mention so I accept it happens (a lot probably). I did feel that maybe mainstream medicine had moved on a tiny bit re stomach issues as they now accept FODMAPs can cause issues but not much else interests them, and even the offer by the Gastro to refer me to a dietitian seems to have gone into a black hole but I reckon I know as much as they do anyway so I probably won't bother.

This being the NHS I have been given the tests and then ignored by the Gastro. GP would not know what to do, for sure, but so far has not done any of the things you mention except long in the past. In fact she has been known to say that I know more about the thyroid than she does, and to introduce me to a student as one of her 'intelligent' patients ;)

kangaSue

@kangaSue Thank you - yes I agree with your first sentence!!

I did look into gastroparesis a while back as I 'met' someone else on an ME forum who had this diagnosis. I have a history of IBS (40+yrs ago!) where in fact things in my stomach moved too quickly through (seemingly the opposite of gastroparesis). Over the years I then got more constipation, but I now think it was caused by a poorly treated thyroid condition. So... on the whole my gut motility seems quite good now, though spasms of pain do slow it down for sure.

My feeling now about all this is that I probably have a number of things now going on, and in terms of eating, it's hard for me to manage them all together. A gallstone and hiatus hernia I think do give me some sensitivities to certain foods. Also I have I believe some bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) - not particularly serious but it gets out of control from time to time, if I increase my carbs too much, so I then have to cut back and treat it. I am essentially eating Paleo but I get pretty bored with it, and do lapse into some extra carbs which probably tip me over. Also some odd sensitivities to foods like cauliflower (high FODMAP re the IBS) mean I am restricted further.

No wonder some people end up eating only a few foods!!

Search for gastroparesis at http://www.inspire.com where a lot of us GP sufferers hang out, you'll find a number of posts there about stomach dumping, i.e., gastroparesis that involves rapid gastric emptying.

mermaid

thanks @kangaSue I have been reading up about gastroparesis, and I think it's unlikely that I do have this, but I see that it's considered along with dyspepsia to be a motility disorder so there are some connections. Many years ago I was given some medication for motility (Cisapride) but they then stopped this medication in the UK due to some serious side effects (ie general not personal to me). I don't think I took it very long as it didn't seem to help at all.

kangaSue

thanks @kangaSue I have been reading up about gastroparesis, and I think it's unlikely that I do have this, but I see that it's considered along with dyspepsia to be a motility disorder so there are some connections. Many years ago I was given some medication for motility (Cisapride) but they then stopped this medication in the UK due to some serious side effects (ie general not personal to me). I don't think I took it very long as it didn't seem to help at all.

Functional G.I disorders are hard to pin down as digestion is a really complex process http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v108/n5/full/ajg201324a.html

For most people, cisapride is safe but, as you say, it's being discontinued in many markets. Mosapride is a newer drug that doesn't have the long QT cardiac risk, Domperidone is more commonly prescribed as a motility agent nowadays though.

I have been following a couple of threads in this forum about nitrate drugs improving ME/CFS symptoms in general, nothing specific to G.I. problems, but I had a big improvement in my gastroparesis with an anti-ischemia drug that also has a nitrate component, Nicorandil as I also have Mesenteric Ischemia. I mention this as intestinal ischemia is seldom reported in G.I. problems but it's known to occur in both IBD and IBS, a main symptom being pain shortly after eating which can be mild to please shoot me, bloody intense. I think the vasodilation of peripheral arteries improving blood flow to the bowel is the reason behind my pain relief from Nicorandil, nitrates alone work on a similar pathway. If your not into trying drugs, the dietary nitrate found in beetroot or beetroot powder supplements has vasodilating properties.

mermaid

@kangaSue Thanks again for the comments and the interesting link - as it shows, digestion IS very complicated!

Yes, the Gastro suggested that I might take Domperidone, but having looked up the possible side effects I would rather not, though I can understand why someone might if they are vomiting. Thankfully I am not.

Also interesting to hear about what you are trying and the possibilities of beetroot to help re vasodilation which I do eat to some extent. I have been weighing up recently whether it's OK for me or not as it's on the high FODMAP list I think, but I seem OK with it in small amounts at least.

Also for the past week my stomach has mostly been reasonable, but I have to stay strictly on my safe diet to stay like that. I get easily tempted to stray, but am trying not to do so!! For me at least it does seem to be that the right foods are key for calm digestion. I certainly have to keep carbs low otherwise I am in trouble.....