• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bee sting against Lyme

alex3619

Don't use wild bees ... too many are Africanized. Of course it might be that only Africanized bees work, they were in the story. A beekeeper might be able to help. Also, be prepared for an allergic reaction. This idea is risky, and a one off case might be mistaken. It could be a fluke or due to something other than bee stings.

I have heard about bee sting therapy before, even used to cure asthma, though I think it is more like snake oil. Too high a risk for an allergic reactions and even an asthma attack.

Though under medical controlled conditions it looks like there might be something to it

Antares in NYC

This is one amazing story of recovery from chronic Lyme. It's worth reading. The article delves into new research on the very potent antibiotic properties of bee venom, which has been proven to eradicate a number of very difficult pathogens in vitro.

Is this a glimmer of hope? Crossing fingers!

(It's a very long article, for those dealing with brain-fog, and the first half is very dark --but worth the read)

How a Bee Sting Saved My Life
Ellie Lobel - Mosaic - 3/24/2015

Ellie Lobel was ready to die. Then she was attacked by bees. Christie Wilcox hears how venom can be a saviour.

"I moved to California to die."

Ellie Lobel was 27 when she was bitten by a tick and contracted Lyme disease. And she was not yet 45 when she decided to give up fighting for survival.

Caused by corkscrew-shaped bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi, which enter the body through the bite of a tick, Lyme disease is diagnosed in around 300,000 people every year in the United States. It kills almost none of these people, and is by and large curable – if caught in time. If doctors correctly identify the cause of the illness early on, antibiotics can wipe out the bacteria quickly before they spread through the heart, joints and nervous system.

But back in the spring of 1996, Ellie didn't know to look for the characteristic bull's-eye rash when she was bitten – she thought it was just a weird spider bite. Then came three months with flu-like symptoms and horrible pains that moved around the body. Ellie was a fit, active woman with three kids, but her body did not know how to handle this new invader. She was incapacitated. "It was all I could do to get my head up off the pillow," Ellie remembers.

Her first doctor told her it was just a virus, and it would run its course. So did the next. As time wore on, Ellie went to doctor after doctor, each giving her a different diagnosis. Multiple sclerosis. Lupus. Rheumatoid arthritis. Fibromyalgia. None of them realised she was infected with Borrelia until more than a year after she contracted the disease – and by then, it was far too late. Lyme bacteria are exceptionally good at adapting, with some evidence that they may be capable of dodging both the immune system and the arsenal of antibiotics currently available. Borrelia are able to live all over the body, including the brain, leading to neurological symptoms. And even with antibiotic treatment, 10–20 per cent of patients don't get better right away. There are testimonies of symptoms persisting – sometimes even resurfacing decades after the initial infection – though the exact cause of such post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome is a topic of debate among Lyme scientists.

"I just kept doing this treatment and that treatment," says Ellie. Her condition was constantly worsening. She describes being stuck in bed or a wheelchair, not being able to think clearly, feeling like she'd lost her short-term memory and not feeling "smart" anymore. Ellie kept fighting, with every antibiotic, every pharmaceutical, every holistic treatment she could find. "With some things I would get better for a little while, and then I would just relapse right back into this horrible Lyme nightmare. And with every relapse it got worse."

After fifteen years, she gave up.
(...)
http://gizmodo.com/how-a-bee-sting-saved-my-life-1693295289

Antares in NYC

Just a side note, I really like how she describes her neurological-cognitive symptoms. Basically my life in the last 16 years --but she was able to come out of it!:
"I had been living in this… I call it a brown-out because it's like you're walking around in a half-coma all the time with the inflammation of your brain from the Lyme. My brain just came right out of that fog. I thought: I can actually think clearly for the first time in years."

Dufresne

almost there...
I received injections of bee venom in 2006 before I was aware of my TBD's. There's a guy in Toronto named, Ravikovic, who administers them for Asthma, allergies, and sensitivities. I got a boost from them that would last until the end of the day, but no lasting improvement.

valentinelynx

I received injections of bee venom in 2006 before I was aware of my TBD's. There's a guy in Toronto named, Ravikovic, who administers them for Asthma, allergies, and sensitivities. I got a boost from them that would last until the end of the day, but no lasting improvement.

Jay Goldstein used to try bee venom in his algorithm of treating CFS. It didn't help me, alas. That was in 1995.