• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Sauna or method for Detox?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I would like a Near / FAR infrared sauna... Or other device that will help me sweat the chemicals and metals out. I dont have carpentry skills, a lot of space (for full size wood saunas) or cash. Budget is in the $600 range, but cheaper is better. Smaller is better.

Some device I've looked at include Therasage heating mats and portable saunas, Pocket Sauna, and cheaper knockoffs.

Can anyone suggest a good value, non-toxic, minimal hassle sauna / sweat detox product?

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Not sure if they are available in the US/Canada. I just bought a portable Firzone sit in sauna, its brilliant. I would buy the larger size if I had the choice again though. Firzone say the unit is suitable for MCS sufferers, I can smell it vaguely so don't have it in my bedroom, am lucky enough to have a spare room. I noticed a lot of cheaper made in China ones, don't know I would buy one of those due to the chemical content.
Wish I'd bought one years ago. Take it easy to start with though.

sarah darwins

Not sure if they are available in the US/Canada. I just bought a portable Firzone sit in sauna, its brilliant. I would buy the larger size if I had the choice again though. Firzone say the unit is suitable for MCS sufferers, I can smell it vaguely so don't have it in my bedroom, am lucky enough to have a spare room. I noticed a lot of cheaper made in China ones, don't know I would buy one of those due to the chemical content.
Wish I'd bought one years ago. Take it easy to start with though.

I've looked at these before, @maryb , and wondered. Can I ask what benefits you feel you're getting from it?

Last edited:

Sherpa

Thanks folks, I decided this morning on a Therasage Instant Calmer FAR infared heating pad, large. $430 on Amazon. I am going to try using it while wrapped in a Mylar "space blanket" to bring out the sweat.

I chose this because it seems like a smaller and more elegant device. I like the idea of detoxing while lying down. The plastic tent saunas with chairs seemed kind of large and clunky.. like an eyesore. I also heard that the Therasage sauna is not that "strong" and takes a long time to heat up and start sweating.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@sarah darwins
I have a lot of mercury and other heavy metals, also high viral load these saunas are supposed to be one of the best ways of reducing these. I just feel better generally immediately after my shower, then feel a bit whacked the day after, but 2nd day better. I've not been having one regularly over the past 3 weeks so am getting behind again, I feel you lose the gains if you do this. I am going to start again tomorrow. You have to make sure you have mineral supplements and plenty of water, I drink coconut water too, and have a banana afterwards.

sarah darwins

@sarah darwins
I have a lot of mercury and other heavy metals, also high viral load these saunas are supposed to be one of the best ways of reducing these. I just feel better generally immediately after my shower, then feel a bit whacked the day after, but 2nd day better. I've not been having one regularly over the past 3 weeks so am getting behind again, I feel you lose the gains if you do this. I am going to start again tomorrow. You have to make sure you have mineral supplements and plenty of water, I drink coconut water too, and have a banana afterwards.

Thanks, maryb. I'm due to have some testing done very soon and will leave things until after that, as I don't know what my heavy metal levels or viral loads are at the moment, but it does sound like something that's likely to help a lot of us. We all seem to have bodies full of stuff we really don't want. I've tried dietary detox but that doesn't work out well for me at all.

Changexpert

This may be a not so smart question. What is the difference in the end result among IR sauna, steam sauna, and sweating from other instances like exercises or bathing? As far as I know, sweating is the main mechanism of detox, so it's logical to predict that end results would be similar as long as you sweat. Is it because IR sauna pulls toxins from the muscles and tissues, which are immobile otherwise? I sweat very easily and get soaked every time I exercise (not intense at all). However, my heavy metal levels are still through the roof for some reason, so sweating from exercise is definitely not good enough.

Sherpa

I got my Therasage large infrared pad and it definitely works to detox. I set it on high, lay a double-wide mylar space blanket down over it, get on it, and fold the rest of the blanket over my frontside. Then I pull a down blanket over the top of the mylar blanket. I drip sweat, feel refreshed, and then KA-BAM... hours latter or the morning after, I feel heavy detox (sluggish liver, foggy brain) sensations.

The FIR works better than just heat, it does something deep in the tissues.

It is so powerful (for me, obviously I am holding toxins) that I may have to start it gradually and slowly.

sarah darwins

I got my Therasage large infrared pad and it definitely works to detox. I set it on high, lay a double-wide mylar space blanket down over it, get on it, and fold the rest of the blanket over my frontside. Then I pull a down blanket over the top of the mylar blanket. I drip sweat, feel refreshed, and then KA-BAM... hours latter or the morning after, I feel heavy detox (sluggish liver, foggy brain) sensations.

The FIR works better than just heat, it does something deep in the tissues.

It is so powerful (for me, obviously I am holding toxins) that I may have to start it gradually and slowly.

Sounds really interesting. I hope it helps you.

Will you perhaps post an update in a few weeks or so, once you've had a chance to use it more regularly? This seems to be a somewhat under-discussed therapy.

*GG*

This may be a not so smart question. What is the difference in the end result among IR sauna, steam sauna, and sweating from other instances like exercises or bathing? As far as I know, sweating is the main mechanism of detox, so it's logical to predict that end results would be similar as long as you sweat. Is it because IR sauna pulls toxins from the muscles and tissues, which are immobile otherwise? I sweat very easily and get soaked every time I exercise (not intense at all). However, my heavy metal levels are still through the roof for some reason, so sweating from exercise is definitely not good enough.

I think there are studies, not sure who is paying for them, quality etc..But I have read that you sweat much more from IR saunas compared to other saunas.

GG

Sherpa

Sounds really interesting. I hope it helps you.

Will you perhaps post an update in a few weeks or so, once you've had a chance to use it more regularly? This seems to be a somewhat under-discussed therapy.

Sarah,

I am convinced that FIR therapy may be CRITICAL in my case.

However, I think it is so powerful that I may not use it for a few months while I do this Nickel / metal chelation first.

I think doing FIR and chelation both at the same time would release more toxins than my liver can handle excreting.

Last edited:

M79

I am Finnish so basically everyone has normal sauna, dont know how similar it is to saunas all over the world, but I have been going to normal sauna basically 3/week for all of my life. When I have been worse then I have not been able to tolerate the heat for long time. Now on B12 + other supps I do tolerate it better. Still I am really short of breath and gasping air after sauna, my heart is racing and sometimes I feel nauseous for a 20 minutes or so, but all in all it feels refreshing. But from my experience the lower your body temp and blood pressure are then you can get various symptoms from going to sauna.

Over here proper sauna is fire heated, which I feel is better, temp around 60 to 70 C. In that type of sauna one usually sweats a lot.

I wish I had the chance to compare infra red sauna to normal sauna.

Sherpa

@M79 in my opinion the Finnish style sauna is a lot hotter, feels "better," and makes you sweat faster and more. It feels like "fire" - or being very close to a fire. It is very relaxing, good for skin, etc.

The Infared heat does not feel as hot, but I believe that it penetrates deeper into the tissue - like a mircowave. It feels like "sunshine on your skin" or "lying on a warm beach." I think it is maybe better for detox, as it reaches deep into the tissues.

student

Light and cheap – is an option
I now use a "Tippi" – Tent sauna in my living room (1.20 m high, 90x 90 cm). While choosing this, I was influenced – by a german thread @symptome.ch. My sauna is Low-price of 80 € (no wood cabin).

(A Panel heater of Solocarbon Company was not in reach.) But I ordered a Carbon heater panel. FIR 8-10 wavelength. Some used material was needed in the tent: Wood for 3 walls (from a bed). This gets covered by an old 4person tent. All is very light. The heater panel is placed behind my back in that tent. It is allowed to touch it. When I sit there I twist and turn. A second radiator helps me with the 32 Celcius. – My aim is not swetting (I read this). So I like it just below that. Than washing of superficial scin after sauna. I have done this regularly the last 4 weeks – in the early morning.

It was said that it could raise BH4 blood levels. I do feel good. (Plus a bag full of the other things – in methylation process.) This light tent sauna (FIR panel) was the one most rewarding (single) tool of my therapie so far. / appart from the great help in Methylation Forum.

Changexpert

As an Asian, I am very familiar with wet (steam) sauna and dry sauna. Infrared sauna is a type of dry sauna that uses... infrared (duh). Wet sauna is much harder to be tolerated because of humidity. Think of dry heat (like Phoenix) vs humid heat (like Texas). In a humid condition, your sweat cannot evaporate easily, therefore more sweat accumulates on your skin for sticky sensation. Sweat is useless at cooling unless it's evaporated, which is why dry sauna is much easier to tolerate compared to wet sauna.

I've done a quick google search on infrared saunas (1). There are three types of infrared, near, middle, and far infrareds. One that is used the most for sauna is the far infrared, which is good for detox. There are many products and companies that don't specify the exact type of infrared. It is logical to think that those products are all made with far-infrared, but please contact the company before making a big investment.

Main difference between conventional sauna and infrared sauna is mobilizing the toxins from subcutaneous tissues (fat) directly into sweat (2). In conventional sauna, these toxins would circulate in the bloodstream first, before getting excreted as sweat. Also, the depth of penetration for tissue is much greater. This could potentially cause too much toxins getting dumped out of the body, so do not fall in for marketing hype like "safest ways to remove toxins."

The integrative doctor I see has a complementary infrared sauna, so I went in this morning to try it out. The sauna unit they used was from High Tech Health company, made of wood. I arrived too early, so the sauna was still heating up. It started at 120 F (~49 C) and the temperature rose to 140 F (60 C). I was drenched in sweat at about 30 minutes in and sat in there for 45 minutes total. The temperature was bearable at 140 F, not too intense compared to wet sauna I've encountered in the past. I took a shower right afterward and was given electrolyte drinks to replenish essential minerals.

It's too early for me to say what benefits or detox shock the sauna has caused to my body, so I will report back within a week. For now, I feel no difference in fatigue, brain fog, and energy levels.

M79

@M79 in my opinion the Finnish style sauna is a lot hotter, feels "better," and makes you sweat faster and more. It feels like "fire" - or being very close to a fire. It is very relaxing, good for skin, etc.

The Infared heat does not feel as hot, but I believe that it penetrates deeper into the tissue - like a mircowave. It feels like "sunshine on your skin" or "lying on a warm beach." I think it is maybe better for detox, as it reaches deep into the tissues.

Yeah, that is why I have been always curious about trying infrared sauna especially when I had low body temp and was feeling stiff and achy after physical stress. I figured if infrared sauna would rise the temp in deeper tissues I might be able to get rid of lactic acids and stuff. Dont know if that had worked that way. Now the issues is not permanent anymore due to normal body temp thanks to B12. Still it could be nice experience and it could help otherwise. I hope I can test one soon.

Sherpa

Wow! FIR is very powerful for detoxing. Even with just a 5 minute session on my mat on high, I get a 'hangover' feeling in that lasts for hours... And watery, foul smelling stool. I don't really look forward to going through the process of getting it all out, but I look forward go the outcome of being clean.