• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patent filing for the use of nitric oxide with or without B-cell depletion in CFS

gregh286

I think it is quite easy. Both alcohol and nitroglycerin dilute our blood vessels. They both relieve symptoms for many PWME. Fluge and Mella's hypothesis is that some autoantibody leads to NOS dysfunction which impairs the regulation of the blood flow. I feel much better when i drink alcohol, and I guess I would feel much better if I tried nitro too.
Just our subgroup though. Must cfs people cant tolerate it at all.
But alcohol does.not.work all the time for me....its not consistent.

deleder2k

I started again two weeks ago with 20 mg because my normal bp is already low. I am on 50 mg now. I have very limited improvements.

The headache was really annoying but it was completely gone after one week. So, don't give up because of the headache, it is temporary.

And how do you feel?

deleder2k

Just our subgroup though. Must cfs people cant tolerate it at all.
But alcohol does.not.work all the time for me....its not consistent.

Probably just a sub-group. But it could be that you could benefit from nitro even though... Maybe you're allergic to alcohol in some way.

melihtas

And how do you feel?

Better but improvements are very little. It seems like I can do more without triggering PEM and If trigger PEM, I recover quicker than before.

Isosorbide has a stimulative effect like caffeine on me. I am housebound and I spend almost all day lying down but since started Isosorbide lying down for a long time without doing nothing became very difficult. I constantly feel like getting up and doing something. Doing more than usual is triggering PEM and counteracting the benefits of the drug.

As I said, my normal BP before Isosorbide was already low (110/65). Isosorbide further lowered my BP initially. I think this reduced the benefits for me, but my BP is coming back to its normal levels.

Tunguska

I was trying to do this some time ago before getting completely sidetracked. I read Pall's theory and David Whitlock's and figured the reality might be some combination of both.

I figured you have to increase NO (GPLC and supps, nitrates, sunlight) while taking peroxynitrite scavengers at the same time (methylfolate, adb12, vit E, uric acid) to avoid generating radicals. I was avoiding HB12 since didn't want it scavenging NO. Definitely for myself increasing NO helps, and so did folate.

I am on isosorbide mononitrate right now, 60mg as a starting dose, about to take my third dose. My sleep is really messed up right now, but I will see how it goes and report back. Ok, third dose taken.

I do get an almost headache all day long. It goes away just before my next dose.

Hi Alex,

I am doing a similar test as you are. Can you please explain the latest results of taking this isosorbide mononitrate on your Chronic Fatigue Illness overall? Others would like to see the overall result of your testing.

Thanks,

Abdulrahman

alex3619

The drug induced headaches are almost gone. I have slightly more physical energy, especially after resting. Its still nothing like it should be though. My cognitive function is not improved. Cold tolerance is improved (probably due to increased peripheral vasodilation). This warrants a longer test, but so far has resulted in no dramatic improvement. Some nights I think it has seriously improved sleep quality, other nights I think its done the opposite. I am still trying to figure that out. A confounder with me is I suspect its interacting with Resveratrol which I also take.

alex3619

How much are you taking? 60mg? Have you considered upping the dose?
I have to be careful with dosage. I am definitely considering upping the dose but it will be some time before I do so, maybe months, as this is in consultation with my ME doctor.

What i am doing is slowly giving a few doses of various nutrients etc. to see how they interact, looking for both possible good and possible bad interactions. Resveratrol might combine to create air hunger, but I am not yet sure of this - it has not been tested enough. Its also possible that air hunger is a symptom that shows up in the first week or so as a side effect. MB12 and AB12 do not appear to do much for me in combination with isosorbide. Other nutrients are awaiting testing.

It needs to be kept in mind though that there are different subgroups, and how one person responds might not reflect how other subgroups will respond, or even other individuals within the same subgroup.

Gingergrrl

I have nitro but cannot take it b/c my BP is too low and nothing raises it. It is a shame b/c I would like to take the nitro for actual angina pain but my cardio and ME doctor said it's too dangerous when my BP in the 80's/50's. Am taking several meds that should be raising it yet they are not!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I have to be careful with dosage. I am definitely considering upping the dose but it will be some time before I do so, maybe months, as this is in consultation with my ME doctor.

What i am doing is slowly giving a few doses of various nutrients etc. to see how they interact, looking for both possible good and possible bad interactions. Resveratrol might combine to create air hunger, but I am not yet sure of this - it has not been tested enough. Its also possible that air hunger is a symptom that shows up in the first week or so as a side effect. MB12 and AB12 do not appear to do much for me in combination with isosorbide. Other nutrients are awaiting testing.

It needs to be kept in mind though that there are different subgroups, and how one person responds might not reflect how other subgroups will respond, or even other individuals within the same subgroup.

Have you checked whether your resveratrol supplement doesn't contain emodin? This can have adverse effects, notably being a laxative. Resveratrol from Japanese knotweed will often contain emodin, and it's not always on the label.