• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dry hands, skin cracking on fingers

rosie26

I am very pleased with this Dermol Cream the doctor gave me last week. I lathered it on my fingers and then noticed it said to put on sparingly - so I wiped most of it off and re-plastered. My hands were significantly improved the next day and no trouble since. It's really good stuff. I have had a lot of trouble over the years finding a cream that works well. So, just letting anyone else know in case they haven't tried it.

Andielyn

Hi...I have not been diagnosed with CFS/ME but have many of the symptoms and joined recently. I felt compelled to respond because I have had issues with the skin on my fingers cracking and NOTHING seemed to work, I was going through band-aids by the boatload to protect them. This happened summer and winter. I don't know if this is coincidental or related, but I quit all artificial sweeteners (including the "natural" ones like Truvia) around early November for another reason, but miraculously my cracked, peeling, horrible skin condition on my fingers has completely disappeared and I've been symptom-free for at least 3-4 months now. I wasn't really paying much attention to how long afterward it started to change since this had been a chronic condition with me, but I realized they were healing and that's the only change I can think I made.

I pretty much solely drink unsweet flavored water and sparkling water--my brand preference is hint. Many "sparkling" or flavored waters do have artificial sweeteners so it's deceiving.

As for shower gel, I've always used Nutrogena (but again my cracked, peeling fingers existed then, too.)

rosie26

Hi...I have not been diagnosed with CFS/ME but have many of the symptoms and joined recently. I felt compelled to respond because I have had issues with the skin on my fingers cracking and NOTHING seemed to work, I was going through band-aids by the boatload to protect them. This happened summer and winter. I don't know if this is coincidental or related, but I quit all artificial sweeteners (including the "natural" ones like Truvia) around early November for another reason, but miraculously my cracked, peeling, horrible skin condition on my fingers has completely disappeared and I've been symptom-free for at least 3-4 months now. I wasn't really paying much attention to how long afterward it started to change since this had been a chronic condition with me, but I realized they were healing and that's the only change I can think I made.

I pretty much solely drink unsweet flavored water and sparkling water--my brand preference is hint. Many "sparkling" or flavored waters do have artificial sweeteners so it's deceiving.

As for shower gel, I've always used Nutrogena (but again my cracked, peeling fingers existed then, too.)
I had 5 band-aids on 2 days ago and 4 lastnight - know what you mean about going through boxes and boxes of band-aids. I have never had a summer like the one I just had - it seems my hands are getting worse, usually winter is my most troublesome.

Interesting about the artificial sweeteners. I tried artificial sweeteners 30 years ago and couldn't stand the taste of it. So I always avoided things with artificial sweeteners in that I knew about. It makes me wonder about colourings in things as well. Let us know how you are going. I hope your hands continue to be good - nice to get a good break from it all.

Edit: Welcome to PR Andielyn, I have just noticed you joined recently. :)

Last edited:

rosie26

I am very pleased with this Dermol Cream the doctor gave me last week. I lathered it on my fingers and then noticed it said to put on sparingly - so I wiped most of it off and re-plastered. My hands were significantly improved the next day and no trouble since. It's really good stuff. I have had a lot of trouble over the years finding a cream that works well. So, just letting anyone else know in case they haven't tried it.
I wish now, I had waited longer before commenting on the Dermal Cream. It really was good the first time I tried it but my hands flared again when some cold weather hit and are not settling as fast as the first time I used the cream. I have to remember in the future not to rave too quickly.

Calathea

Do you make this up yourself Calathea? I think I need something like this in between flare ups.

Nope, it's just a tub of avocado butter I picked up somewhere, probably from an essential oil supplier. One of these days I must try coffee butter. I can't remember what it's meant to do, but it must smell amazing.

Andielyn

I had 5 band-aids on 2 days ago and 4 lastnight - know what you mean about going through boxes and boxes of band-aids. I have never had a summer like the one I just had - it seems my hands are getting worse, usually winter is my most troublesome.

Interesting about the artificial sweeteners. I tried artificial sweeteners 30 years ago and couldn't stand the taste of it. So I always avoided things with artificial sweeteners in that I knew about. It makes me wonder about colourings in things as well. Let us know how you are going. I hope your hands continue to be good - nice to get a good break from it all.

Edit: Welcome to PR Andielyn, I have just noticed you joined recently. :)

Thanks @rosie26, a little late checking back. I hope you find relief and can put the bandaids to rest! :)

belize44

I have this same problem with cracking skin on my hands and feet. It used to only happen in the winter, but now it is year round. I used to be able to shower with Castile soap, but it started to seem too harsh so I found this amazingly gentle, oil based soap and may probably never use anything else ever again. http://tinyurl.com/ndclmuc

helen1

My mom used to have cracking skin on her finger tips in winter until she started taking vit D in. She no longer has the skin problem. Whenever she forgets to take vit D for any length of time in winter, the cracks in her skin returns.

Just want to add an update. As usual, my hands, particularly knuckles are becoming dry, cracked and often bleeding --- I've gotten out my white cotton gloves and Lansinoh.... Lansinoh is pure lanolin. But I got tired of spending 9-10 bucks for a little tube and bought a tub of pure lanolin from an online apothecary shop---cheaper per ounce.

Cheers and smooth supple skin,
Silverseas2014

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I'd forgotten completely about this thread so this is a very belated update. The dermotologist was pretty sure the dry flaking skin was a fungal infection and tests confirmed it as tricophyton rubrum (the same fungus that causes athlete's foot and jock itch - my feet and 'jock' are fine thanks). He prescribed a cream plus a systemic oral medication just in case the infection was too deep for the cream to reach but I passed on the systemic treatment as the expected side effects were a long list of problems I already have.

The cream seemed to work well but didn't eradicate the problem before the prescruiption ran out and I now have it on both hands. Damn!

slysaint

Just a couple of things that might help; beware of Sodium Lauryl sulphate(not to be confused with laureth sulphate), beware of topical steroid creams (google steroid induced eczema), in the UK Sainsburys do their own pure vegetable soap. Simple sounds good, but if you do a thorough check on their ingredients it's maybe not so good. Diluted organic apple cider vinegar applied topically can help. Sanex do a shower gel called Zero which has less nasty chemicals ( I use it as shampoo).

*GG*

My mom used to have cracking skin on her finger tips in winter until she started taking vit D in. She no longer has the skin problem. Whenever she forgets to take vit D for any length of time in winter, the cracks in her skin returns.

My mom has been taking Vitamin D for years now, she still has a lot of problems with cracked fingers. So what other things have people found that helps?

GG

rosie26

I can't remember the name of the supplement the banned member mentioned- it started with V - anyone remember what it was? Not sure I would want to try it though.

rosie26

All the creams I have tried so far are not much help really. I find plasters that are kept moist by running some water over them every so often do the same job over the period of a few days. So that is what I am doing for the moment when my hands flare up.