• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise while brushing my teeth!

Calathea

In a bid to improve the state of my teeth, I have started doing exercises so that I get through the whole two minutes with the electric toothbrush. I am happy to report that this appears to be a level of exercise I can tolerate, and I'm already noticing that my legs are doing a bit better, coping with stairs better and such. Does anyone have suggestions for exercises to do? My primary hotspot for trigger point pain is in my left hip/gluteal area, that's one thing I need to work on. Also I get pelvic pain, so it's good to exercise this area, and strengthening your legs is meant to be good for dysautonomia, something to do with vascular whatsits. Apart from that, I just want a nice range, so that I can cover different areas, and also have different options depending on how I'm feeling. So far I'm doing:

1. Plies, two versions depending on the position of my feet.

2. An exercise where I stand with my feet turned out, heels up and touching, knees apart. I lower myself a bit, tilt my pelvis forward and then then back to straight, lower a bit more, tilt, lower a bit more, tilt, raise a bit, tilt, raise a bit, tilt.

3. Moving my pelvis in circles. I might manage a figure eight one day, we'll see!

4. Lunge stretches.

Any ideas?

taniaaust1

I hope doing more exercise goes well for you.. for myself even when I was still able to exercise and doing 2 hrs walk/run per day (at the expensive of everything else) for a couple of months.. it didn't at all improve my dysautonomia one bit and I'd still collapse after if only standing still for one minute. (Before that I'd spend a couple of months doing laying sitting leg muscle build up exercises.. no help either).

Dysautonomia can be caused by deconditioning hence why astronaunts get it but Im sure with my experience around exercise that mine autonomic system is being attacked by some virus and causing it (or autoimmune or something.. it certainly in my case deconditioning caused).

In my case exercise also didn't help my constipation (I ended up with structural bowel issues, prolapse)

The lack of being able to exercise things sucks. I get severe period pain in which exercise does help me some with but I then end up crashed more with the ME so just end up suffering in other ways.

I think keeping body mobility is important so stretching.. a couple of lunges, a figure 8 of hips.. but I don't really view that as "exercise" in the way exercise is usually viewed.

Last edited:

Calathea

Well, no, I mean exercise by our standards! I wouldn't dream of going for a run. I'm noticing that my flexibility is improving.