• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

jepps

Study about mushrooms and improved immunity:
http://www.tandfonline.com.sci-hub.org/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2014.950391#.VTHWyZNtP9o

Results: Eating L. edodes for 4 weeks resulted in increased ex vivo proliferation of gd-T (60% more, p < 0.0001) and NK-T (2-fold more, p < 0.0001) cells. Both cell types also demonstrated a greater ability to express activation receptors, suggesting that consuming mushrooms improved cell effector function. The increase in sIgA implied improved gut immunity. The reduction in CRP suggested lower inflammation. The pattern of cytokines secreted before and after mushroom consumption was significantly different; consumption resulted in increased interleukin (IL)-4, IL-10, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-a, and IL-1a levels, a decreased macrophage inflammatory protein-1a/chemokine C-C ligand 3 (MIP-1a/CCL3) level, and no change to IL-6, IL-1b, MIP-1b, IL-17 and interferon (IFN)-g levels

Would be worth a look additional to probiotics, RS and fibres.

alicec

Attachments

• biotin synthesis.jpg
    biotin synthesis.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 9

alicec

Study about mushrooms and improved immunity:
http://www.tandfonline.com.sci-hub.org/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2014.950391#.VTHWyZNtP9o

Would be worth a look additional to probiotics, RS and fibres.

Mushrooms have been part of my strategy from the beginning. I have always eaten them as part of a wide vegetable mix, but tended to choose varieties like Swiss brown or field, more occasionally including various Chinese varieties.

Since trying to substantially increase the prebiotic content of my diet, I switched to shitake as one that seemed to be rich in beta glucans and readily available to me. I incorporated a substantial amount into my breakfast frittata and so now consume a moderate serve most days.

The most significant change in my diet has been the addition of some form of resistant starch with every meal, but the shitake mushrooms would come next.

Of course it is impossible to say what did what, but as I have reported previously, these dietary changes alone made quite a significant difference to me. Certainly the mushrooms never caused any problems.

As I have been slowly increasing my consumption of more concentrated fibre sources, I have started adding some medicinal mushrooms - viz Reishi and Turkey Tail. So far just alternating small amounts in capsule form but I intend to increase the dose. Again it is impossible to know what has done what but I kept other things constant for maybe a week (much too impatient to wait longer) while as I started adding the mushrooms and can certainly say that there was no problem. Overall I am continuing to see some mild but noticeable improvements.

With best wishes
Alice

alicec

Butyrate does do a lot, but elevated H2S concentrations inhibit its oxidation in the colonocytes, and impair respiratory chain function, so you have to deal with that too. That is why I would be curious if beet root powder and flax seed would be of any benefit to you. The source of nitrate is enzymatically converted in the digestive tract (starting in the mouth) and this lowers concentrations of H2S which inhibits mitochondrial respiratory function. I know some are concerned about worsening BP via the effect on NO, but both gaseous signalling molecules have vasodilatory effects, so if you do in fact have a high concentration of SRB and hence H2S, the transient decline in this GSM will, I think, likely lead to bp stabilization.

One related benefit of flax is via PPAR, as the fatty acid content can nitrated by nitrous acid forming No2-FA's and this will inhibit PPAR and produce other anti-inflammatory changes. NO2-FA inhibits XOR and was found to be more potent than allopurinol in its inhibition of superoxide.

I have definitely noticed BP improvements from incorporating several mucilaginous prebiotics. Before I read your earlier post about the likely stimulation of anti-inflammatory bacterial population by these prebiotics, I had already experimented with small amounts of aloe vera and psyllium. After reading it and @Sidereal's post about her experiences with them, I increased these slowly plus added marshmallow root and ground flax seed (I have to avoid beetroot because of its high oxalate content).

From dietary changes alone I had already noticed fewer incidents of falling BP and this seemed to be consolidated with the aloe and psyillium. I continued to take moderate amounts of salt, however, as this has been helpful in stabilising BP in the past.

More recently I noticed a rising BP and tried cutting out the salt. That did the trick and I am back to a fairly stable normal BP reading. So far nothing has improved the tachycardia so I continue to take a small dose of atenolol.

With best wishes
Alice

Gingergrrl

@alicec, weirdly enough, the beet doesn't make my oxalate situation any worse even though on paper it's a high ox food.

@Sidereal I have lost track of this thread several pages back but wondering how you are doing on beet root now? Are you still taking 10 at a time and is it still raising your BP? When you say high oxalate foods what does this pertain to? Is it allergies or histamine related?

Sidereal

@Sidereal I have lost track of this thread several pages back but wondering how you are doing on beet root now? Are you still taking 10 at a time and is it still raising your BP? When you say high oxalate foods what does this pertain to? Is it allergies or histamine related?

I haven't been taking beet lately because I've been studying the effects of other prebiotics. Don't worry about the oxalates now. The last thing you need is another worry on top of everything else. :hug: Oxalates are not directly related to histamine allergies. Essentially they are a plant poison that we need bacteria to metabolise for us but some of us are lacking the ones that carry out that job. If they build up in the body they can cause nasty symptoms like pain and kidney stones.

What led you to this choice? Do you deal with IBS-C or IBS-D?
I deal with long history of IBS-D and chronic fungal sinusitus.
The sinusitus piece is no longer been an issue, after following a candida protocol months ago. All previous sinus treatments were unsuccessful, and that list is very long. Note the key here was treating gut, not sinus.
Here's something interesting. One would think a significant sinus improvement would correspond with systemic improvements. But I'm seeing just the opposite. Gut issues have intensified. And so has toenail fungus which I had for decades, but never migrated to my left foot. Until now. This expanded toe nail infection and increased gut symptoms timed perfectly with improvement of fungal sinus, has no logical reference. It's opportunistic in the sense it can set up shop anywhere most convenient for survival, following path of least resistance. A battle won, and another develops elsewhere. These pre/probiotics won't touch it.
For now, I stopped taking everything until I find out details from OAT and stool tests.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

@piccirilli thanks for the detailed response. Completely different context here. IBS-C seems worse at every new trial with prebiotics. Probiotics do nothing unless I take them 1x weeky and then I get relief 1x weekly :rolleyes:

I think I will start cultivating rotten eggs for my breakfast :vomit:

Since my Amazon order fo Myiarisan hasn't been delivered, I am turning back to iHerb, and the only option with C. butyricum is this AOR. I will have to give it a try.

OTOH I was doing some reading on probx today and found out that L. reuteri feeds on glutathione (I am taking whey, yay), but is inhibited by stevia (my why has stevia nay :ill:). The good thing is I can get L. reuteri locally, and it has been found to be the most abundant species in healthy individuals.

Asklipia

One would think a significant sinus improvement would correspond with systemic improvements. But I'm seeing just the opposite. Gut issues have intensified. And so has toenail fungus which I had for decades, but never migrated to my left foot. Until now. This expanded toe nail infection and increased gut symptoms timed perfectly with improvement of fungal sinus, has no logical reference. It's opportunistic in the sense it can set up shop anywhere most convenient for survival, following path of least resistance. A battle won, and another develops elsewhere. These pre/probiotics won't touch it.
Very interesting.
We are seeing general improvement with the Sanum. But no way to say it will cure all yet. We have only been on it since 15th February I think.

adreno

PR activist
@Vegas

Another thing that has happened since starting the C butyricum is what seems like frequent herpes reactivations. The cold sores don't always break out, but I can feel them itching and bubbling under the surface of my mouth. IIRC you thought this was a positive sign as well?

jepps

One would think a significant sinus improvement would correspond with systemic improvements. But I'm seeing just the opposite. Gut issues have intensified.

I realize the same. After my therapeuth treated my chronic tonsillitis and sinuses, I had the worsest digestion, I ever had, I had improvements with tonsils (no longer enlarged and chronic inflamed, since then I can feel the tonsils again), and with sinuses (push on the sinuses no longer hurts). Before this treatment I had never problems with meals, afterwards I reacted to nearly everything.
Inflammations in the head consist of viruses, bacterias and fungi, and mobilized microbes from the head infect the gut. So the gut should be well supported before, during and after treating inflammations in the head.

Last edited:

ariel

One would think a significant sinus improvement would correspond with systemic improvements. But I'm seeing just the opposite. Gut issues have intensified. And so has toenail fungus which I had for decades, but never migrated to my left foot. Until now. This expanded toe nail infection and increased gut symptoms timed perfectly with improvement of fungal sinus, has no logical reference. It's opportunistic in the sense it can set up shop anywhere most convenient for survival, following path of least resistance. A battle won, and another develops elsewhere. These pre/probiotics won't touch it.

Yes I have experienced something similar.
I seem to remember someone, somewhere, commenting that taking resistant starches tends to move candida out of the body by slowly moving it to the extremities, or to less deep parts of the body. But I can't remember where I read it, or even if it is true.
Though it feels true to me, because for a while there I had candida flares in various parts of my body that I hadn't had any trouble with for a very long time. After taking S Boulardii, other probiotics, and a little bit of apple cider vinegar every day, plus greatly reducing the dose of RS, the tide seems to have finally turned.
Though it seems that you are already taking S Boulardii, and it obviously isn't helping...
But perhaps the sinus infection you had was deeper than the candida levels in your gut and other parts of the body.

The other thing I'm noticing at the moment is that I'm currently taking a smaller dose of various RS than what I've worked up to in the past, but the discomfort levels are still horrible. Much less so than in the past probably, but still miserable. Though the good thing is that underneath the discomfort I feel the urge to actually do some things, like properly clean the kitchen, etc. Which I mostly ignore as I the discomfort levels just knock me out and stop me from actually doing anything.

Last edited:

Asklipia

The other thing I'm noticing at the moment is that I'm currently taking a smaller dose of various RS than what I've worked up to in the past, but the discomfort levels are still horrible. Much less so than in the past probably, but still miserable. Though the good thing is that underneath the discomfort I feel the urge to actually do some things, like properly clean the kitchen, etc. Which I mostly ignore as I the discomfort levels just knock me out and stop me from actually doing anything.
Yes, I went through that and now I feel the urge to do things and I actually do them! It seems the more I do (and it is not tiring in the least) the worse I feel psychologically. I feel FEAR most of the time when I don't sleep. And sometimes that fear wakes me up. Arghhhh!!!!!!!
:(

@Asklipia I read somewhere (maybe even here?) that a lot of people who have had ME/CFS for a long time are likely to suffer from PTSD as well. Maybe that's why you are feeling the way you do. So now you need treatment for PTSD. The illness that keeps on giving...

Asklipia

A lot of people who have had ME/CFS for a long time are likely to suffer from PTSD as well. Maybe that's why you are feeling the way you do. So now you need treatment for PTSD.
Yes I suspect you are right.
If the release of fungi or infections activates memories of when they were acquired, this would explain my sorry state.
The problem being that I don't remember anything! Most probably because they were acquired in the womb. I was very premature and my mother must have been quite sick not to be able to bring me to term.

I am using EFT and tapping on that since this morning. I feel better but it may be because time is moving me into Monday afternoon.