• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyrica and brain synapses

adreno

PR activist
Yes, these drugs are bad news for synaptic plasticity. When neural connections are not being "exercised", they are gradually lost. It is also harder to form new connections.

Undisclosed

The researchers say this about it:

Barres noted that he and his colleagues found that gabapentin does not dissolve pre-existing synapses, but only prevents formation of new ones. That greatly diminishes gabapentin’s potential danger to adults. In mature human brains, astrocytes ordinarily produce very little thrombospondin, and adult neurons don’t form many new synapses, although some new synapses do continue to be formed throughout life — for example, in a part of the brain where new memories are laid down and at sites of injury to neurons, such as occurs after a stroke.

But the new findings raise questions about gabapentin’s effect in situations where synapse formation is widespread and crucial, most notably in pregnancies. The vast bulk of the brain’s synapses are formed during gestation and the very early months and years after birth. Because gabapentin easily crosses the placental barrier, it could potentially interfere with a fetus’ rapidly developing brain just when global synapse formation is proceeding at breakneck speed.

This is one study with mice and they are basically advising that it not be used when pregnant. It is a Category C drug already:
Category C
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Example drugs: tramadol, gabapentin, amlodipine, trazodone, prednisone

The website that the article comes from seems to be over alarmist.

whodathunkit

I had an online friend about 10 years ago that got onto Lyrica when it was in human trials, and she had an awful time with it. All the sides you hear about, plus it greatly worsened her already tenuous CNS and attendant psychological problems.

Based on her experience I would not take it. Other's mileage may vary.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have found lyrica very useful for pain and have used it for several years now. I just take it at night to help with neuropathic pain i get in my lower legs.

I have taken extra doses during other episodes of pain such as when i have had bad back spasms and recently with shingles on my head where it worked quite well. I think it also helps improve sleep.

The only side effect i got was when i was taking it twice a day and started to put on weight. So dosing it only at night when pain is the issue has helped me avoid this side effect. I cant say i have noticed any side effects.