• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cracking toenails and peeling skin

Battery Muncher

Anyone else have cracking/ white toenails and flaky peeling skin? I also find the edges of some of my toenails are starting to yellow slightly. I don't seem to have as many problems with my fingers/fingernails (although these symptoms are present to a lesser degree).

I'm asking because I'm not sure whether this is an ME/SEID symptom or not. I've had this for years, but recently it's gotten worse for no apparent reason.

Any suggestions or suggested treatments would be welcome!

rosie26

I had something like this on my big toe 3 years ago, never had anything like it before. It had an area of white at first and then it looked like the nail was breaking down and it looked more a pale yellowish colour.

I treated it as a fungal infection and it came right after treatment but the treatment is not one I would want to do again. I was given Terbinafine tablets for fungal infection and felt dreadful on them, so I stopped taking them after a month, fortunately it was long enough to fix the problem. Haven't had any problems since.