• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Honda's personal mobility device

Gingergrrl

@Sushi I like the idea and thank you for posting it. My concern is that it looks very heavy and not sure you would get it in and out of a car or lift it? I can barely lift a cup sometimes so this looks like it is for people with solid arm strength! Otherwise I love the idea.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
That is so cool. One would have to have good balance to use it, but it looks like more agile wheels. Maybe this will move over to other kinds of chairs. Speaking of chairs, it puts a person at a closer height to standing people and takes up less space. Again it won't work for everyone but it's a good innovation in design for those who can use that option.

(Might be more awkward at a table or concert, though, but at an event they often tend to stick wheelchair users in the back anyway)

It looks like a cute option for healthy and able-bodied people who want to pay a lot of money to walk less. But there's no arm rests, there's a non-supportive seat, feet are stuck near the ground, and they have to squeeze their legs together to avoid being splay-legged.

So it's no good for paraplegics and similar since there's nothing to hold on to for transferring. And it's no good for OI patients since you're nearly standing up in it. And it's no good if you have muscle weakness since there's no support and muscles have to be used to control it and to avoid looking crass. I can't imagine infirm elderly types being able to use it easily either.

I think it's a huge design fail that will be useless for pretty much every imaginable disability.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I think it's a huge design fail that will be useless for pretty much every imaginable disability.
Yes, I don't think it was designed for people with physical disabilities--more for places like expositions to help healthy people get around. Still interesting ideas that they are working on.