• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuroscience Cytokine Profile Test Results.

Ema

I recently did the Neuroscience Advanced Stimulated Cytokine panel to see if I am Th1 or Th2 dominant.

It looks like I am both...possibly?? I'm not sure I really understand what these results are saying, other than I am full of inflammation.

I had been on somewhat of a mission to raise Th1 cytokines since I test positive for so many viral infections but possibly that is not a wise strategy given my interferon-gamma level is already sky high.

So the million dollar question is...what is causing the inflammation? Infections (positive), mold (susceptible gene profile), metals (high for lead), something else entirely?

Do I try to reduce the inflammation or does it exist as a protective function and reducing it would be a mistake?

And finally, what are the best immunomodulators proper, rather than Th1 shifters? I'm currently taking minocycline (just recently started) and wondering if there's anything else I should consider. It looks like pentoxyfylline might be an option? Any thoughts on this, @Hip?

Cytokine Results Panel.png

halcyon

Do I try to reduce the inflammation or does it exist as a protective function and reducing it would be a mistake?
That's the other million dollar question. As the Lipkin study would seem to imply, symptoms aren't driven by cytokine levels. It doesn't even prove that the disease process itself is driven by the immune response to those cytokines. I don't believe we know enough to be able to answer this question. I also don't believe we know enough to start throwing biological response modifiers at the disease, but that seems to be the current fashion.

If you have a confirmed chronic viral infection, I don't believe it would be wise to try to damp down immune response. That's just my naive opinion.

How long have you been sick Ema? What immune boosters do you take?

Hip

Any thoughts on this, @Hip?

I don't think I have the knowledge to interpret these results. What do Base, PHA and LPS mean? Are PHA and LPS (lipopolysaccharide) just means to simulate an immune response above the base level?

Ema

I don't think I have the knowledge to interpret these results. What do Base, PHA and LPS mean? Are PHA and LPS (lipopolysaccharide) just means to simulate an immune response above the base level?
This is what the Neuroscience website says:

Cytokines are most frequently measured in the serum, a well-characterized methodology that has been utilized to determine a suspected acute inflammation, as well as other pathological conditions. However, patients with chronic illness frequently have only mildly elevated serum cytokine levels, yet may be suffering from the effects of inflammation. In these cases, stimulated cellular cytokine analysis is recommended.

Stimulated cellular cytokine analysis is performed by subjecting the patient's isolated white blood cells to immune cell stimulants including:
  • Phytohemagglutinin (PHA; a plant-derived mitogen that stimulates T cells)
  • Lipopolysaccharide (LPS; a main constituent of Gram-negative bacterial cell walls and a stimulator of macrophages, dendritic cells, and B cells)
  • Candida albicans, an infectious yeast

Stimulation with PHA or LPS induces immune cell activation accompanied by cytokine production. Comparing stimulated responses to baseline, non-stimulated cytokine levels provides information about the capacity of immune cells to respond to activation triggers, as well as the existence of low-lying inflammation (and whether it is predominantly Th1- or Th2-type).

Ema

How long have you been sick Ema? What immune boosters do you take?

I had mono at 18 and struggled until about 20 but still full time in school, life, etc even though miserable. Remission until my late 20s followed by a year of home bound relapse. Remission again but a slow decline through my early 30s followed by complete crash at 36 which has now lasted for 5+ years.

LDN, SCIG, minocycline, ashwagandha, inosine.

Hip

I really don't have much idea about how to interpret, but presumably the Base level figures would be most relevant to understand your cytokines as they normally stand as a result of your ME/CFS. LPS stimulation I believe elicits a Th2 response.

Your IL-6 levels look very high compared to the reference ranges given, but then IL-6 is both a cytokine and a myokine, and the muscles can secrete massive amounts of IL-6 during exercise, so I am just purely guessing, but these high levels of IL-6 may have been due to physical exertion done just before your test.

Ema

but then IL-6 is both a cytokine and a myokine, and the muscles can secrete massive amounts of IL-6 during exercise, so I am just purely guessing, but these high levels of IL-6 may have been due to physical exertion done just before your test.
I get my bloodwork drawn at home...and she came at 730AM. I was still in bed!

I know you were just speculating, but I wonder if my IL-6 levels would have been even higher later in the day once I'd been up and a bit active?

Seven7

Seven
@Ema yes I am the same. I was given immune modulators (I did bad on boosters and suppressors before I had the profile I had figured it out).

halcyon

FWIW, I also had the same cytokines drawn at Labcorp last Monday. I'll be curious to see if those come back elevated as well and how they compare to the Neuroscience testing.
Interesting, let us know how it turns out. I had IL-10 and TNF-a measured at LabCorp and both came back within range.

Aren't the stimulated cytokines supposed to be elevated? I think PHA is a lectin and LPS is from gram negative bacteria. Isn't it normal for the immune system to react to these? I guess the question is whether or not the reaction is abnormal. The elevated baseline seems like more of a concern. Do you or have you had leaky gut?

Just had the same test done. The baseline was normal, but there were abnormalities in the PHA and LPS stimulated. PHA stimulation caused an elevation in IL-2, IFN-gamma, IL-10, and MIP-1B and a decrease in GM-CSF. LPS stimulated an increase IL-1B, IL-2, IFN-gamma, IL-4, and GM-CSF and decreased IL-17 and G-CSF. It was suggested to recheck for lyme and bacterial infections. I did have leaky gut for a while. Still trying to figure it out.

drob31

I really don't have much idea about how to interpret, but presumably the Base level figures would be most relevant to understand your cytokines as they normally stand as a result of your ME/CFS. LPS stimulation I believe elicits a Th2 response.

Your IL-6 levels look very high compared to the reference ranges given, but then IL-6 is both a cytokine and a myokine, and the muscles can secrete massive amounts of IL-6 during exercise, so I am just purely guessing, but these high levels of IL-6 may have been due to physical exertion done just before your test.

Maybe the body is reacting as if it's in a state of exertion even when it's not? Perhaps there is a myopathic element where muscle is broken down as if in a state of starvation. This would show up as elevated Creatine kinase/proteinuria/creatinine being elevated in serum/urine.

drob31

IL-6 Base is off the charts. I mean, if the reference range is potentially less than 1, and you're at 14,000. Something is certainly going on there!

http://selfhacked.com/2014/10/20/interleukin-6/

Interleukin-6 Inhibitors
Lifestyle/Diet
  • Positive emotions were associated with lower IL-6 (especially awe, wonder and amazement). (R)
  • Calorie Restriction (R)
  • Wim Hof Breathing/Meditation (R)
  • Napping after sleep loss (R),
  • Vegetables/Phytosterols (R),
  • LLLT (R, R2, R3)
  • Legumes (R),
  • Nuts (R),
  • Oat polyphenols (R),
  • Mediterranean diet (R),
  • Olive oil (R),
  • Ancient wheat (R)
  • Fish/Fish Oil (R),
  • Phytic acid (R)
  • Blueberry (R),
  • Music (R),
  • Honey (R),
  • Elemental diet in chron’s (R),
  • Broccoli sprouts/Sulforaphane (R),
  • Soy (R),
  • Oats (R),
  • Cashew (R),
  • Spirulina (R),
  • Stevia (R, R2)
  • Garlic (R)
  • Red raspberries (R),
  • Jasmine Tea (R)
Nutrients
  • Vitamin B12(R),
  • Fish oil(R, R2),
  • Magnesium (R),
  • Chromium (R),
  • Arginine (R),
  • Histidine (R),
  • Vitamin E (R) – rats fed oxidized oils.
Hormones
  • Vitamin D3 (R),
  • Progesterone (R),
  • Testosterone (R)
Supplements
Mechanisms
  • ACE inhibitors (R),
  • PPARy (R),
  • STAT3 inhibitors (R),

Hip

This study found that IL-6 inhibits Th1 and promotes Th2.

So possibly your high IL-6 is one factor working against Th1 and viral clearance.

I listed some IL-6 inhibitors in this post.