• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D / Sleep Poll

Sleep Problem / Vitamin D Poll

• Less than 30 / Sleep is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30 - 50 / Sleep is fine

• Greater than 80 / Can't sleep without meds

• Total voters

Gondwanaland

My vitamin D level was just tested at 25...My sleep is very fractured and I wake anywhere between 3-6 times a night. I never feel rested. I have been taking 5000 units of D for years but my level never goes beyond 27. I live in NC and am out in the sunshine almost daily....
Aren't you low in vit A? When I increased my vit A dietary intake my D levels went up naturally with no supplementation, plus my sleep improved significantly.

soxfan

Yes I use sunscreen every day even if I am not outside...Yes they are gel caps that I bought at the drug store.

I am not sure if I am low in Vitamin A as I don't think I have ever been tested.

SwanRonson

Yes I use sunscreen every day even if I am not outside

That will block all of your natural Vitamin D production from sunshine. It's the UV light that reacts with cholesterol on the skin to create D3 (cholecalciferol). It's then absorbed back into the skin. Sunscreen halts the initial creation.

Sublingual drops or transdermal may be better for you to bring levels up. From what I've read, oral D3 absorption varies highly from person to person. It seems to also cause gut issues(constipation) for some people on this forum, including me.

soxfan

Thanks for the info...I obviously have to wear sunscreen since I am outdoors just about everyday. I will look for the sublingual drops...That seems to make sense since my levels have been low for so long ( 7 years).