• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Cholesterol-Does Anyone Else Have Low Cholesterol?

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I have super high cholesterol-went to a genetecist to see if my son inherited this particular disorder, she sent me for a particular gene test which will take a few months. I tolod her when I went through my West Point physical, they said my cholesterol was an immune system problem. She didnt seem to think it made much sense, she did say that the statin meds will make my CFS worse because they will lower the amount of ATP coming out of each cell.
@john66 Although I didn't know it at the time, I think I had very mild ME/CFS before taking statins. I had a very nasty reaction to statins on two separate occasions (difficulty talking, shuffling walk, unable to use hands - severe muscle weakness) and I believe this tipped me into full blown ME/CFS and severe disability. I ran my 23 and me results through promethease and it confirms that statins are very bad for me. I was never the same after taking them.

Misfit Toy

I have very low cholesterol. I might check the Weston Price food idea's -> fat, fat & fat.

Jason, according to my doc, there is no fixing it. It's a glitch....a DNA glitch where my body does not convert it. No amount of fat or eating fats can change it. I eat so much fat. Lamb is huge on my menu.

Misfit Toy

There are many reasons why people may have low cholesterol. At one time I was hyperthyroid, so that wouldn't add up. Not everything is thyroid. Many have no thyroid and are heavier, with super high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It truly is a genetic mutation that has made me have low cholesterol, which has screwed up all other hormones for me.

With low cholesterol all of your other hormones are a mess.

jason30

Jason, according to my doc, there is no fixing it. It's a glitch....a DNA glitch where my body does not convert it. No amount of fat or eating fats can change it. I eat so much fat. Lamb is huge on my menu.

That doesn't sound good :( Do you know which DNA mutation is responsible for this?

pattismith

Interesting! I don't know if this is the case for me, but I have hashimoto and have lost a lot lbs, can't gain weight.
Thanks for the tip.

I don't know if my experience can help you, but my low cholesterol was associated with low HDL (under the low limit).

I started my T3 trial with occasionnal corticosteroids, and after a few weeks, my HDL improved a lot!

Excess T2 is probably a consequence of excess D3 activity, which deactivate both T4 and T3, generating rT3 and T2.

In my case rT3 was high and my T3 was limit low, so it was clear that my deiodinases were messed...

I increased progressively T3, it was difficult when I started the 3 intakes a day protocol, I even worsened at the begining, but now, I am at 50 mcg/day, and I am almost cured, with no sign of hyperthyroidism

jason30

Thanks a lot @pattismith

Great to hear that you are almost cured.

Though my rt3 was not high, the ratio was not good and thus it may also be the case with me.

I have measured rt3 and T3 in 2015:
- RT3: 250 pmol/l
- T3: 1710 pmol/l

Ratio: 6,84 (dividing the Total T3 by the Reverse T3)

If it's lower then 10 then it appears to be a problem (source: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

Do you use corticosteroids to support adrenals?
Which T3 med or supplement do you use?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

pattismith

Thanks a lot @pattismith

Great to hear that you are almost cured.

Though my rt3 was not high, the ratio was not good and thus it may also be the case with me.

I have measured rt3 and T3 in 2015:
- RT3: 250 pmol/l
- T3: 1710 pmol/l

Ratio: 6,84 (dividing the Total T3 by the Reverse T3)

If it's lower then 10 then it appears to be a problem (source: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

Do you use corticosteroids to support adrenals?
Which T3 med or supplement do you use?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

yes the ratio matters. Mine was very very very low (about 3)

Do you have the units and normal ranges of your values? Do you have the fT4 as well?

Bad ratio/high rT3 can be caused by D1 hypoactivity (less production of T3 and recycling of rT3) or/and D3 hyperactivity.(excess inactivation of T3 and production of rT3)

Deiodinases function need Selenium, so you have to pay attention that you have enough intake.

T3 intake allows to upregulate D1, this is one of the reasons I take it. I plan to try a switch to T3 + T4 when I will be ok and when my deiodinases will be functionning better.

In my country T3 med is called Cynomel, I think in some countries the name shall be Cytomel.

Yes I take prednisolone low dose. Before supplementing with T3, I could have an extra boost with it (and protection against PEM), but I couldn't tolerate it more than one or two days.

Now that I am suplemented with T3, I can take it every days with stable benefits.

jason30

That's indeed very low!

All the thyroid measures were in normal ranges, except the TSH. My TSH is elevated now for almost 10 years (between 4 and 6). I also have the known antibodies.

Unfortunately I can't tolerate selenium. I get sore muscles, brainfog and heavy feeling plus my MCS gets more worse. Tried L- selenomethionine, yeast free, 25mcg and also other forms such as selenium liquid. This might due detox, I suspect somehow heavy metals or other stuff which get released. Still try to find answers so that I can tolerate selenium hopefully in the further.

Indeed, here it's Cytomel.

I have read that iodine is a good alternative for t2. But I am afraid to try it, I don't want to make my thyroid problems more worse. Do you have experience with iodine?

I might consider prednisolone as well, since I have adrenal fatigue.

Thanks again.