• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"complex" post-transcriptional element of "simple" retrovirus

anciendaze

@MeSci,

Your point is taken. The problem in much of biological research is that getting exactly what you should be using is either difficult, expensive or slow. There are cases where it is impossible. Researchers are constantly faced with such obstacles, and most don't have the kind of funding necessary to do everything right, and still produce results on a schedule. Avoiding criticism is not enough to accomplish very much. Teasing out clues from imperfect experiments is a necessary skill.

Incidentally, species are not the finest grain differences you can measure. There are substantial variations within species which are a problem with human medicine, where you can't simply order a few more laboratory animals to make up for the lethal mismatches. Immune response can even vary markedly over time in a single individual. You have probably heard that penicillin would never have been approved for human use if the first tests had been done in guinea pigs.

What you may not have heard is that one researcher who set out to investigate this response ran into a batch of guinea pigs who did not die when given penicillin under one set of conditions.

As a general rule, experimental animals do what they damn well please under a wide range of conditions.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@MeSci,

Your point is taken. The problem in much of biological research is that getting exactly what you should be using is either difficult, expensive or slow. There are cases where it is impossible. Researchers are constantly faced with such obstacles, and most don't have the kind of funding necessary to do everything right, and still produce results on a schedule. Avoiding criticism is not enough to accomplish very much. Teasing out clues from imperfect experiments is a necessary skill.

Incidentally, species are not the finest grain differences you can measure. There are substantial variations within species which are a problem with human medicine, where you can't simply order a few more laboratory animals to make up for the lethal mismatches. Immune response can even vary markedly over time in a single individual. You have probably heard that penicillin would never have been approved for human use if the first tests had been done in guinea pigs.

What you may not have heard is that one researcher who set out to investigate this response ran into a batch of guinea pigs who did not die when given penicillin under one set of conditions.

As a general rule, experimental animals do what they damn well please under a wide range of conditions.

Yes, I'm very much aware of intra- and inter-species differences. One really only has to look around to know this - to talk to different people about their reactions to the same drugs and foods, indeed to look at them, to listen to them, to compare notes about pets and vets, etc. But I have also spent a lot of time studying animal research and learning about differences, and reporting on these for animal charities.

I'm sure that experimental animals' primary wish would be to stop being experimented on.

MeSci

BTW, I see you have not participated in this thread about HERVs, ME and autoimmunity.

Any comments?

I've been ploughing through your thread, and still unable to take it all in, but think I get the general gist, which is that HERVs may be behind a lot of infection or contamination that has been attributed to external causes.

I have also studied subjects relevant to (micro)organisms exchanging genetic material 'in the wild' so that is no surprise to me, e.g. the risks of GM crops and their commensal microflora exchanging such material with soil microorganisms and thence potentially other plants, and invertebrates carrying pathogens between plants and animals. I'm not sure that I see why domestication of animals would be necessary for such processes to occur. But I may have misunderstood.

Sorry if I have missed this, and maybe it's part of what you have actually been saying, but as such exchanges and transmissions are going on all the time, there must be a constantly-changing and evolving process of genetic recombination producing new viruses of all kinds, including endogenous retroviruses.

I think it is partly this kind of understanding that brought me to the view some time ago that the best way to protect against disease is to keep the immune system as healthy as possible, through good nutrition, fresh air, healthy work-life balance, etc. We can't avoid contact with all infectious organisms or things that could cause our own HERVs to become troublesome. And excessive cleanliness can be as hazardous as not being clean enough.

I get the impression that you credit 'modern medicine' with a greater role in human longevity than I do. I believe that there are examples of long-lived civilisations past and present that have (had) little or no contact with 'modern medicine'. I seem to recall that the UK lifespan actually decreased substantially during the Industrial Revolution, although I think that this was due to too many people living in close proximity in unsanitary conditions. In-breeding is another hazard. So there are a lot of factors affecting lifespan.

I think it might help if you could summarise the main points of your thread in a few bullet points, as I have found some of it rather impenetrable, and others may find the same.

anciendaze

BTW, I see you have not participated in this thread about HERVs, ME and autoimmunity.

Any comments?
I haven't reached an opinion on that work, and I'm concerned that calling this an autoimmune disease will run afoul of misunderstanding already present concerning other diseases classified as "autoimmune". In particular the common perception that "autoimmune" = "anti-self antibodies" limits the scope to the humoral immune system. I'm convinced there is immune dysfunction, but hesitate to say more without better data.
I've been ploughing through your thread, and still unable to take it all in, but think I get the general gist, which is that HERVs may be behind a lot of infection or contamination that has been attributed to external causes.

I have also studied subjects relevant to (micro)organisms exchanging genetic material 'in the wild' so that is no surprise to me, e.g. the risks of GM crops and their commensal microflora exchanging such material with soil microorganisms and thence potentially other plants, and invertebrates carrying pathogens between plants and animals. I'm not sure that I see why domestication of animals would be necessary for such processes to occur. But I may have misunderstood.
The change is a matter of rates, not disappearance of some absolute limitation.

Domestication radically altered the environment and genetics of domesticated species. It reduced natural genetic diversity in domesticated species, even if there was increased visible phenotypic diversity between breeds, caused by artificial selection. Immunological diversity is much less apparent, and that declined. It placed species in close contact, not only with humans, but also with species they would rarely encounter in the wild. It increased the rate of transmission of infections between individuals of the same species by orders of magnitude. Anyone who has seen an entire herd or flock of domesticated cattle, sheep or chickens quickly succumb to the same disease will understand that this was a dramatic change.

There was also a great deal of change in human diets. A prehistoric politician would have had a hard time promising "a chicken in every pot" when chickens decided to move elsewhere.

On a less esthetic note, human and animal waste used to fertilize crops created new cycles of infection and parasitization. (While others may refer metaphorically to "chicken sh*t" I can speak with some authority about the real thing.)

Just as an example of how unnatural the change was, and how it relates to retroviral diseases, consider that in the wild humans suckled by other species are mostly a matter of mythology, like Romulus and Remus. Retroviruses in mammals are often passed from mother to offspring via suckling. People consuming cows milk didn't benefit from widespread Pasteurization of milk until the 20th century. Even today, we can find antibodies to BLV in people drinking unpasteurized milk.
Sorry if I have missed this, and maybe it's part of what you have actually been saying, but as such exchanges and transmissions are going on all the time, there must be a constantly-changing and evolving process of genetic recombination producing new viruses of all kinds, including endogenous retroviruses.

I think it is partly this kind of understanding that brought me to the view some time ago that the best way to protect against disease is to keep the immune system as healthy as possible, through good nutrition, fresh air, healthy work-life balance, etc. We can't avoid contact with all infectious organisms or things that could cause our own HERVs to become troublesome. And excessive cleanliness can be as hazardous as not being clean enough.

I get the impression that you credit 'modern medicine' with a greater role in human longevity than I do. I believe that there are examples of long-lived civilisations past and present that have (had) little or no contact with 'modern medicine'. I seem to recall that the UK lifespan actually decreased substantially during the Industrial Revolution, although I think that this was due to too many people living in close proximity in unsanitary conditions. In-breeding is another hazard. So there are a lot of factors affecting lifespan.
"Modern medicine" in this case includes clean water supplies, inspected food and improved waste disposal, which you seldom associate with doctors in white coats. Also, vaccination and quarantines have made substantial changes in mortality without necessarily curing a single infected individual. A great deal of other activity by M.D.s takes place without measurable effect on incidence of treated diseases. I'm working on a later post about criteria for public health.

Concerning longevity, remember that I'm not talking about the greatest age to which healthy individuals can live, but rather expected age at birth, which is strongly influenced by infant mortality. I've been through enough ancestral records to realize that the "good old days" were far from idyllic. I've also seen accounts of medieval life which convince me that people didn't really consider children more or less permanent parts of the family until about age 5. We tend to remember those who lived to a ripe old age, while records of those who died away from record keepers, often without being baptized, are scarce. The data are biased by large "sampling errors".

I won't dispute an increase in mortality rates during the industrial revolution, but consider this the result of increased population density in urban environments. As best we can tell mortality rates in medieval urban environments also went up dramatically as populations increased, and the relatively good life of the high middle ages followed a population collapse now called the Black Death. There is no question that entire villages abandoned at that time are still being discovered. In many cases we had no previous idea, from surviving records, they even existed.

I've personally run into the more recent documentary equivalent of black holes when it came to finding out what happened to people buried in private cemeteries. My horrifying conclusion in one case was that an entire family disappeared without leaving any survivors or records, and this was out in the "healthful" countryside. In a case like that, where no descendents will research ancestors, the entire tragedy simply fades from view.

With regard to concern for "excessive cleanliness", I'm guessing you don't have much experience of living completely outside modern Western concepts of hygiene. From personal experience, I can tell you actually living in such places results in culture shock for those who grew up with different ideas. There are many things you just don't imagine, and people who do know try not to talk about, because these are upsetting.

My own opinion (and it is only that) is that people who grow up on farms have better immune systems because they are exposed to significant numbers of pathogens which are not fine-tuned to infect humans. People who grow up in urban environments are largely exposed to human pathogens, and their immune systems naturally tend to identify anything unfamiliar as a human pathogen.

Beyond relatively modern farm environments, when we talk about Rousseau's "Noble Savage", we are again talking about survivors. The simple process of nature killing everyone who is not a fine specimen of the species in excellent health will produce such, even if there is no particular animus against individuals. You can benefit the species by eliminating everyone whose immune system is not the equivalent of being two meters tall from the gene pool. This is not the same from benefiting most individuals.
I think it might help if you could summarise the main points of your thread in a few bullet points, as I have found some of it rather impenetrable, and others may find the same.
I confess to an aversion to bullet points which comes from sitting through too many Powerpoint presentations while thinking that real bullets aimed at those babbling might improve matters. I've seen too many examples of people turning these into games with meaningless labels hiding the same old thinking, or lack of thinking. I'm actually trying to make people think, which is always difficult.

This is necessary because we have been through many years of people saying and doing the same things without useful results.

If I get better at pulling this together I'll create a blog post which may be better and more succinct.

anciendaze

Just a quick post about variation in enzymes within the human species. You might consider the problem of favism. The fact that there are individuals deficient in the known enzyme who do not show the disease makes me suspect there are still undetected variations in enzymes.

MeSci

Just a quick post about variation in enzymes within the human species. You might consider the problem of favism. The fact that there are individuals deficient in the known enzyme who do not show the disease makes me suspect there are still undetected variations in enzymes.

Of course. There is a lot more that we don't know than that we do know.

MeSci

I haven't reached an opinion on that work, and I'm concerned that calling this an autoimmune disease will run afoul of misunderstanding already present concerning other diseases classified as "autoimmune". In particular the common perception that "autoimmune" = "anti-self antibodies" limits the scope to the humoral immune system. I'm convinced there is immune dysfunction, but hesitate to say more without better data.

There are threads that discuss different kinds of autoimmunity.
On a less esthetic note, human and animal waste used to fertilize crops created new cycles of infection and parasitization. (While others may refer metaphorically to "chicken sh*t" I can speak with some authority about the real thing.)

Again, it is a matter of quantity, but animal excreta have always been present in soil. Human, wild animal, birds flying over, and more recently pets.
Concerning longevity, remember that I'm not talking about the greatest age to which healthy individuals can live, but rather expected age at birth, which is strongly influenced by infant mortality. I've been through enough ancestral records to realize that the "good old days" were far from idyllic. I've also seen accounts of medieval life which convince me that people didn't really consider children more or less permanent parts of the family until about age 5. We tend to remember those who lived to a ripe old age, while records of those who died away from record keepers, often without being baptized, are scarce. The data are biased by large "sampling errors".

I've personally run into the more recent documentary equivalent of black holes when it came to finding out what happened to people buried in private cemeteries. My horrifying conclusion in one case was that an entire family disappeared without leaving any survivors or records, and this was out in the "healthful" countryside. In a case like that, where no descendents will research ancestors, the entire tragedy simply fades from view.

I'm not sure why you find this horrifying. How many people really believe in the 'good old days'? I've read enough accounts, heard enough radio programmes, seen enough TV programmes and also read accounts of my own family history, so am very well aware of the hardships that people faced in the past.
With regard to concern for "excessive cleanliness", I'm guessing you don't have much experience of living completely outside modern Western concepts of hygiene. From personal experience, I can tell you actually living in such places results in culture shock for those who grew up with different ideas. There are many things you just don't imagine, and people who do know try not to talk about, because these are upsetting.

I don't think we have to live in different cultures/countries to know about such things. In any case, I am not talking about contrasts between - say - open defecation in India and washing in sewage-filled rivers - and having a shower once a day or once a week and using proper toilets. I'm talking more about a contrast between people who shower once a day or once a week and use proper toilets and those who scrub themselves and their children with oil-depleting products, obsessively spray any part of their body that has the temerity to have a slight natural odour, wipe every surface down with antibacterial products, demand antibiotics every time they feel slightly unwell, spray artificial chemicals in the air to hide cooking smells and the occasional fart, etc.
I'm actually trying to make people think, which is always difficult.

I love thinking. Unfortunately I have ME.

Last edited:

MeSci

Clarification - the 'showering once a day or once a week' I referred to was the ideal balance. Lack of cleanliness might be dirty toilets (a former friend's springs to mind :vomit:), a dirty fridge, infrequent washing, dirty clothes, etc.

Obviously being more dirty than that is potentially very hazardous.