• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) and Leptin Sensitivity.

Ema

So not only good for dampening microglial inflammation...but might also help with weight issues. At least in female, obese, menopausal rats...

Palmitoylethanolamide prevents metabolic alterations and restores leptin sensitivity in ovariectomized rats.

Authors
Mattace Raso G1, Santoro A, Russo R, Simeoli R, Paciello O, Di Carlo C, Diano S, Calignano A, Meli R.
Author information
Journal
Endocrinology. 2014 Apr;155(4):1291-301. doi: 10.1210/en.2013-1823. Epub 2014 Jan 15.

Affiliation
Abstract

It has been suggested a role of fatty acid ethanolamides in control of feeding behavior. Among these, palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) has not been directly implicated in appetite regulation and weight gain. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of PEA on food intake and body weight and the interaction between PEA and hypothalamic leptin signaling in ovariectomized rats. Ovariectomy produced hyperphagia and increased weight gain, making it an useful model of mild obesity. Ovariectomized rats were treated with PEA (30 mg/kg sc) for 5 weeks. Then, blood was collected, and hypothalamus and adipose tissue were removed for histological, cellular, and molecular measurements. We showed that PEA caused a reduction of food intake, body weight, and fat mass. The mechanisms underlying PEA effects involved an improvement in hypothalamic leptin signaling, through a raise in signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 phosphorylation. We also reported that PEA reduced AMP-activated protein kinase-α phosphorylation and modulated transcription of anorectic and orexigenic neuropeptides in the hypothalamus. Moreover, PEA increased AMP-activated protein kinase-α phosphorylation and carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1 transcription in adipose tissue, suggesting an increase in ATP-producing catabolic pathway. PEA also polarized adipose tissue macrophages to M2 lean phenotype, associated to a reduction of inflammatory cytokines/adipokines. To demonstrate the direct effect of PEA on leptin sensitivity without interference of adiposity loss, we obtained consistent data in PEA-treated sham-operated animals and in vitro in SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cell line. Therefore, our data provide a rationale for the therapeutic use of PEA in obese postmenopausal woman.

PMID
24428531 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Atypon: Full text

anniekim

Thanks @Jammy88. I have just ordered some and will see if it helps. I ordered it from the Dutch site, can't order to UK from Italian site, shame as 50 euros cheaper for a six pack! On the Dutch website it says after three months you can reduce the dosage, I take it you find you need to continue on 2-3 caps? Many thanks

Last edited:

Jammy88

Thanks @Jammy88. I have just ordered some and will see if it helps. I ordered it from the Dutch site, can't order to UK from Italian site, shame as 50 euros cheaper for a six pack! On the Dutch website it says after three months you can reduce the dosage, I take it you find you need to continue on 2-3 caps? Many thanks

I started taking it in October and have been pretty constant for the first 3-4 months. Now I take it a bit less frequently, so yes I guess what is said on the website is correct. :) Then I believe it depends on the person.
I think PEA will help you with neuromuscular pain, as it is very effective in reducing neuroinflammation - which is a very common issue for the all of us on PR.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

EtherSpin

anyone still on this ? wondering where you are in the world - Im in Australia and even if it was available to order in (probably?) its going to be costly to try as the Aussie dollar is so bad VS the Euro and the tablets are almost a Euro each :)