• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I Am Experiencing Negative Side Effects After Supplementing Potassium Gluconate

There is also a dance of the vitamins with minerals that you can read on "Balancing nutrients", being magnesium, potassium and zinc the main ones.

Thank you, I have now bookmarked that link :)

Even more if you try the different forms of each B vitamin as well :rolleyes: I stuck with nicotinamide for a long time and only when I tried niacin I realized that nicotinamide was bad for my uric acid :bang-head:

You make a good point, aha. When I do get round to trying each of the individual B vitamins, I will try to take the best form of each one, aha. I'm glad that you have found the right type of B3 :)

Hi @Gondwanaland,

When I do decide to start supplementing the B vitamins one by one, starting from B1 and upwards, let us say, I begin to start feeling good from supplementing B1 alone, would I still need to try the other B vitamins? And if so, would I still continue to supplement the B1 as well as trying the other B vitamins?

Thank you :)

Gondwanaland

I begin to start feeling good from supplementing B1 alone, would I still need to try the other B vitamins?
That is an interesting question. You know the idea is to take all of them. But if the 1st one you try makes you feel especially well, I would forget all the rest at least for a while :D
And if so, would I still continue to supplement the B1 as well as trying the other B vitamins?
Yes, until you have all of them on board at the same time.

Hmmmm but I think the correct order is B2 first. Have you read the threads about B2 (both B2 I love you and No love for B2)?

Do you know your SNPs? Serum Homocysteine, uric acid?

Gondwanaland

the salt had anti-caking agents that I no longer want to ingest because whenever I would take it, it would always irritate my throat.
I just remembered that when I tried salt substitute I also got throat irritation. In hindsight now I think that it was hurting my thyroid.

That is an interesting question. You know the idea is to take all of them. But if the 1st one you try makes you feel especially well, I would forget all the rest at least for a while :D

Yes, until you have all of them on board at the same time.

Hmmmm but I think the correct order is B2 first. Have you read the threads about B2 (both B2 I love you and No love for B2)?

Do you know your SNPs? Serum Homocysteine, uric acid?

Looks we think alike because I would also leave out the other B vitamins for a while, aha.

Okay dokey, I will look into taking B2 first but, then what would come next? B1 or B3? :)
I have read those two threads many months ago but, I have forgotten pretty much everything that I have read, aha. All I can remember is that Dog Person was saying good things about Riboflavin but, we should avoid folate or something. Would like you like to help me refresh my memory? :redface:

Yup, I know my SNPs but, I have no idea what my serum homocysteine or uric acid levels are, aha. I will attach my Methylation and Detox SNPs, if you (or anyone else) are ever interested :)

I forgot to upload the SNPs in the previous messages :bang-head: so, here there are :)

Attachments

• Genetic_Genie_Detox_Profile.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Genetic_Genie_Methylation_Profile.pdf
    150.3 KB · Views: 7

Gondwanaland

Looks we think alike because I would also leave out the other B vitamins for a while, aha.
Are you taking B1 and feeling great on it or not after all?:confused:
I will look into taking B2 first but, then what would come next? B1 or B3?
You could look into Sherpa's regimen for MAO-Aers for ideas - it's linked in my sig under "Freddd's protocol".
Would like you like to help me refresh my memory?
What I remember about it is that you need B2 to activate all the other B's, and should take it for at least 1 week at five miligrams (5mg) before adding the other ones. Sherpa says it will make MAO-A works well. I am afraid to try, because my uric acid metabolism doesn't work very well (see the diagram under "Uric acid" in my sig. Whenever I take B2 or folate I get acidosis symptoms :grumpy: And in the thread "No love" a lot of people complain from excess ammonia (which also leads to acidosis) and serotonin troubles. So it's a minefield :nervous:
Do you suggest I may have also a bad thyroid?
I think there is a strong possibility the thyroid function is impaired for those looking into methylation help. If you want to be sure thru lab tests, be sure to get T3, FT3 and RT3 to calculate the ratio.
Also are you addressing your diet? http://chriskresser.com/low-t3-syndrome-i-its-not-about-the-thyroid

I noticed you are +/+AHCY-01, but I don't know how to address that. +/+VDR Taq is somewhat controversial if you don't have both lab results for 1,25 Vit D and 25-OH Vit D :confused: Try to supplement with vit D3, and if you notice worsening, stop :bang-head:

Be sure to keep reading around as many threads as you can ;)

Are you taking B1 and feeling great on it or not after all?:confused:

You could look into Sherpa's regimen for MAO-Aers for ideas - it's linked in my sig under "Freddd's protocol".

What I remember about it is that you need B2 to activate all the other B's, and should take it for at least 1 week at five miligrams (5mg) before adding the other ones. Sherpa says it will make MAO-A works well. I am afraid to try, because my uric acid metabolism doesn't work very well (see the diagram under "Uric acid" in my sig. Whenever I take B2 or folate I get acidosis symptoms :grumpy: And in the thread "No love" a lot of people complain from excess ammonia (which also leads to acidosis) and serotonin troubles. So it's a minefield :nervous:

I think there is a strong possibility the thyroid function is impaired for those looking into methylation help. If you want to be sure thru lab tests, be sure to get T3, FT3 and RT3 to calculate the ratio.
Also are you addressing your diet? http://chriskresser.com/low-t3-syndrome-i-its-not-about-the-thyroid

I noticed you are +/+AHCY-01, but I don't know how to address that. +/+VDR Taq is somewhat controversial if you don't have both lab results for 1,25 Vit D and 25-OH Vit D :confused: Try to supplement with vit D3, and if you notice worsening, stop :bang-head:

Be sure to keep reading around as many threads as you can ;)

I have not started the B1, as I have not ordered them yet. I was hypothetically agreeing with you that if I were to start feeling good on one good B vitamin, I would not be in a rush to try the next B vitamin, aha.

I will definitely check out Sherpa regimen, thank you. I do hope that your uric acid metabolism starts to work properly again. I'll give B2 a shot.

I have tried D3 several times but, and every time, no matter the dosage, I end up feeling so much like crap :(

I will definitely keep reading as many threads as I can. By the way, thank you so much for your help, it is hugely appreciated.

I have a suspicion that vit D supplementation increases the need for magnesium.

You are welcome :thumbsup:

I also believe that. I have been supplementing chelated magnesium for years now but, whenever I try to use transdermal magnesium, I would get so weak, and then my brain fog gets even worse, to the point where it feels painful. Do you think I may be absorbing it a bit too well? If so, maybe I could try taking the Vitamin D3 at the same time as the transdermal magnesium, hoping the D3 uses up the excess magnesium absorbed from the transdermal magnesium ;)

@Gondwanaland

I am going to finally order some vitamin B2 but, I am unsure whether I should purchase riboflavin (inactive) or the riboflavin-5-phosphate (active). What do you reckon I should go with? :)