• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose folate, B2 and elevation of ammonia and uric acid (for dummies)

Gondwanaland

There are two parts to the swab. One part matched up to where it said 6.5 the other matched the 5.0-5.5.
Sorry, I don't get it how it can give two different results at the same time.

If you have bicarb at home do the mouth swish and spit it out. It is harmless and will help you gauge the need for an alkalizing protocol. Be warned that it can cause a candida flare in those who have candida overgrowth. But it does relieve ammonia.

You can do a 15 minute foot soak or use bicarb as a shower scrub. It is very relaxing. When my urine pH tested 4.5 I took a bicarb bath with 1/2 cup of bicarb in water and slept wonderfully.

A couple of weeks ago when my ammonia was high again from upping my T3 I took a bicarb bath and felt wonderful the following day after a perfect night of sleep.

sregan

Sorry, I don't get it how it can give two different results at the same time.

If you have bicarb at home do the mouth swish and spit it out. It is harmless and will help you gauge the need for an alkalizing protocol. Be warned that it can cause a candida flare in those who have candida overgrowth. But it does relieve ammonia.

You can do a 15 minute foot soak or use bicarb as a shower scrub. It is very relaxing. When my urine pH tested 4.5 I took a bicarb bath with 1/2 cup of bicarb in water and slept wonderfully.

A couple of weeks ago when my ammonia was high again from upping my T3 I took a bicarb bath and felt wonderful the following day after a perfect night of sleep.

The Strips are like these . There are 2 color pads on each stick.

Gondwanaland

Have you tested with strips before and after the foot soak to see how much your pH rises?
When I first took a bicarb bath it was 4.5 in the evening before the bath. In the following evening it was 6 (at the same time of the day).

Gondwanaland

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2701227/
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2008 Aug; 27(8): 967–978.
Inactivation of Nitric Oxide by Uric Acid
Christine Gersch,1 Sergiu P. Palii,1 Kyung Mee Kim,1 Alexander Angerhofer,2 Richard J. Johnson,1 and George N. Henderson1,3,4
1Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
2Department of Chemistry, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
3Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
4General Clinical Research Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA

Abstract
The 1980 identification of nitric oxide (NO) as an endothelial cell-derived relaxing factor resulted in an unprecedented biomedical research of NO and established NO as one of the most important cardiovascular, nervous and immune system regulatory molecule. A reduction in endothelial cell NO levels leading to “endothelial dysfunction” has been identified as a key pathogenic event preceding the development of hypertension, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease. The reduction in endothelial NO in cardiovascular disease has been attributed to the action of oxidants that either directly react with NO or uncouple its substrate enzyme.

In this report, we demonstrate that uric acid (UA), the most abundant antioxidant in plasma, reacts directly with NO in a rapid irreversible reaction resulting in the formation of 6-aminouracil and depletion of NO.

We further show that this reaction occurs preferentially with NO even in the presence of oxidants peroxynitrite and hydrogen peroxide and that the reaction is at least partially blocked by glutathione.

This study shows a potential mechanism by which UA may deplete NO and cause endothelial dysfunction, particularly under conditions of oxidative stress in which UA is elevated and intracellular glutathione is depleted.

Gondwanaland

I don't know why I started a new thread for this article. I will post it here too to condense all the info about uric acid in one place.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11791637
Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2001 Nov-Dec;19(6):661-5.
Hyperuricemia and gout in thyroid endocrine disorders.
Giordano N1, Santacroce C, Mattii G, Geraci S, Amendola A, Gennari C.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

A significant correlation between thyroid function and purine nucleotide metabolism has been established in hypothyroidism. On the contrary, the relationship between hyperthyroidism and purine metabolism is more controversial. The present study evaluates the prevalence of hyperuricemia and gout in patients affected by primary hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.

METHODS:
We studied 28 patients with primary hypothyroidism and 18 patients with primary hyperthyroidism, all hospitalized because of endocrine dysfunction. All underwent a series of clinical, biochemical and instrumental evaluations; in particular, thyroid-stimulatin hormone (TSH), free thyroxine (fT4), blood urea, serum creatinine, creatinine clearance, serum and urinary uric acid levels were measured.

RESULTS:
In comparison to the prevalence reported in the general population, a significant increase of both hyperuricemia and gout was found in the hypothyroid patients, and of hyperuricemia in the hyperthyroid patients. In hyperthyroidism the hyperuricemia is due to the increased urate production, while in hypothyroidism the hyperuricemia is secondary to a decreased renal plasma flow and impaired glomerular filtration.

CONCLUSIONS:
Our findings confirm the data in the literature concerning the high prevalence of hyperuricemia and gout in hypothyroidism. It shows that hyperthyroidism can cause a significant increase in serum uric acid, as well, although lower than the hyperuricemia due to thyroid hormone deficiency.

Last edited:

Violeta

Sometime ago I read a really interesting info about it here but now it is asking for a sign up...

Curbing Fructose Intake May Decrease Elevated Uric Acid
Elevated uric acid levels are associated with increased risks for hypertension, gout, and renal impairment.
http://www.renalandurologynews.com/...y-decrease-elevated-uric-acid/article/309628/

I haven't been checking here lately and was glad to find this topic this morning. I know I have uric acid/ammonia issues, and have been taking activated charcoal at night to try to curb headaches that I wake up with. It has been working, but I would rather get to the root of the problem, so I'm finding this thread very interesting.

With respect to the information going around around about fructose and uric acid, I had looked at the studies that most of the people on internet are basing their information on, and if you look near the bottom of the study you'll see that fructose causes a rise in uric acid based on previous uric acid dose. So, if someone has uric acid in their system, yes, fructose will raise uric acid levels. This is because it causes a release of uric acid from the tissue, which would be a good thing if you can handle it correctly. If you tend to have uric acid in your blood stream it might temporarily make you feel worse.

I'm not saying that anyone should take food with HFCS, but fructose doesn't raise uric acid levels in the body, but can bring it out from storage into the blood stream.

Violeta

Gondwanaland, have you tried other forms of magnesium besides the oxide form? Or is there a reason that magnesium oxide would be more helpful?

Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland, have you tried other forms of magnesium besides the oxide form? Or is there a reason that magnesium oxide would be more helpful?
Glycinate, aspartate, citrate and sulfate made me feel worse.

Then I finally tried oxide despite all dismissing references from experts and ta-da! It solved all my immediate problems derived from uric acid and ammonia build-up (the combo with bicarb baths and S. boulardii appeared to potencialize the benefits) :thumbsup:

So I have been promoting this protocol for people with similar problems, but low BP and candida flares have been in the way for others to get beneficial results :(

Violeta

I think the basic chemistry is that oxide turns into OH and neutralizes the potential acidic urate salts.

Ah, I'll have to try it. I just placed an order at iherb last night and bought a different form, unfortunately.

Have you read Alexander Haig's online books on uric acid? "Uric Acid as a factor in the causation of disease" is my favorite.

And have you ever wondered what's in that one joint where the uric acid settles and causes pain?

Gondwanaland

Have you read Alexander Haig's online books on uric acid? "Uric Acid as a factor in the causation of disease" is my favorite.
No, thanks for the recommendation.
And have you ever wondered what's in that one joint where the uric acid settles and causes pain?
No idea :confused:

What I have seen when I look around is an immense effort to RAISE uric acid... Ray Peat and his followers, and Kimsie protocols here at PR.

EDIT: HIGH DOSE FOLATE...

Last edited:

Violeta

No, thanks for the recommendation.

No idea :confused:

What I have seen when I look around is an immense effort to RAISE uric acid... Ray Peat and his followers, and Kimsie protocols here at PR.

Yikes, raise uric acid levels? You are on to something with the sodium bicarb because it keeps the urine alkaline enough to remove excess uric acid from the body. Uric acid may be an antioxidant, but unfortunately it tends to be precipitated into soft tissue along with whatever it antioxidated and then it causes problems there. I think it antioxidizes excess copper (and maybe iron) ions that are floating around in the bloodstream.

Gondwanaland

Yikes, raise uric acid levels?
Exactly, to benefit from what you just said...The inability to get rid of uric acid is a disorder in the UA metabolism...

I have read around that lead causes uric acid retention. My father had gout once and he was raised in a house with lead plumbing. But I wasn't and seem to have inherited his uric acid problems, even thought I never had real gout (just occasional "shatters" between my foot bones and some painful bumps in my hand palms).
You are on to something with the sodium bicarb because it keeps the urine alkaline enough to remove excess uric acid from the body.
In the 1st page of this thread I linked a study recommending potassium citrate for this since sodium urate might be counter-productive.