• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Narcotic (Opioid) Pain Medications Relieve Some of my Neurological ME/CFS Symptoms

drob31

TH3 (T-Regulator Cells) are covered in opiod receptors. TH3 would down regulate TH1/TH2/TH17. So if neurological issues were caused by an autoimmune condition, opiods would theoretically quiet the autoimmune response.

Misfit Toy

@acrosstheveil -I just tried Hemphill oil from hemp meds in California. I had an allergic reaction last night. I called the company today and they said I must be allergic to or Cannabis. I immediately started itching and I've been itching for 12 hours and then on top of it I had to go and do an immediate bowel movement.

Iquitos

Yes, it is quite possible to be allergic to cannabis. Hope you stop itching soon! On the other hand, it could also be a contaminant if the hemp paste originates in China where chemicals in soil and water are not controlled and hemp is sometimes used to clean up soils.

acrosstheveil

@acrosstheveil -I just tried Hemphill oil from hemp meds in California. I had an allergic reaction last night. I called the company today and they said I must be allergic to or Cannabis. I immediately started itching and I've been itching for 12 hours and then on top of it I had to go and do an immediate bowel movement.

your lucky you had a minor reaction! but i agree its scary! wish i wasn't allergic as it could be an awesome healing tool.

Misfit Toy

@Iquitos -it's funny that you mention that about cannabis or Hemp oil being made in China. I did some research and found out that the company that I bought it from named "hemp meds" makes a lot of their products over in China. One of their higher uppers that left the company was a whistleblower and she said in "high times," The magazine, that "hemp meds" has such a high rate of contamination. So now it's got me wondering. The good news is that they will refund me the $350 I paid for this crap-that is,,,if it is crap! Or just my messed up system.

But what is more confusing is that the very girl that has epileptic seizures, Charlotte, uses the same product that I bought. So I don't know what to think. Many of the people that have children with epileptic seizures use "hemp meds" products.

"Charlottes Web" – what a web!

Misfit Toy

Well, I wish I could get it from them. But...I would have to go to CO. And...@iquitos you are in CO, you lucky duck!

panckage

As most people here I've had very good results with opiods - Tramadol, Tylenol 3, and Kratom. I find that they start to lose their effectiveness over time. I've never tried increasing the dosage as that appears to be a staircase to nowhere so I just quit and sometimes deal with withdrawal.

I find it interesting how a few PWME have reported the opiates still work the day after. I can't say I've ever felt this (except maybe a little glow the morning after?)

I do however when I vape marijuana (0.05-0.1g) I find I am usually most functional 4-5 hours after vaping when its effects are gone. I still feel worn out (maybe similiar to hiking the whole day) but my brain functions quite good!

Has anyone looked into bacopa, I can't find much on it but it's theorized that they attach to opioid receptors... I've been taking it and thought it's not quite the effect of opiates but I do feel a slight difference energy wise

Last edited:

Hip

Hi @Squirmy85, welcome to the forum. You might want to break your long paragraph into smaller ones, as people with ME/CFS find it hard to read otherwise (click on edit).

Hi @Squirmy85, welcome to the forum. You might want to break your long paragraph into smaller ones, as people with ME/CFS find it hard to read otherwise (click on edit).
I've noticed I skip long posts, it's not an entirely important post, but I will try to remember shorter is better. :)

Hip

@Squirmy85
The overall length of a post is not a problem. You just need to start a fresh paragraph (and insert a blank line) after every 3 or 4 sentences. Like in this post, for example.

helen1

I take tiny amounts of Suboxone when I have a strenuous event or day. I'm able to do much more with much less PEM. Or no PEM at all. And I feel great - loads of mental, physical and social energy and positivity.

I once took it 5 days in a row then had withdrawal symptoms. It had also stopped having the same great effects. So I don't take it more than 1x a week now sadly. Recently coped well with an out of town wedding and a big birthday party, almost all due to suboxone.

I really wish I knew the biochemical effects it's having so I can duplicate the effects with something else, something that causes no withdrawal sx with regular use.

I also wonder what it means that such a tiny amount has such a big effect on me. Any theories?

I take a crumb off a 1 mg tablet so about 100 mcg. A low dose for a heroin addict is 1-2 mg a day, a more common dose 10-12 mg.

I cant even imagine the effect 1 mg would have on me, it would be so extreme.

It sounds from this discussion though that Suboxone and opiates are not well understood in ME.

What are the theories as to what it's doing for us? I did read the thread just still confused.:)

@Hip @Dufresne @Wayne @Tristen @Tammy @panckage

Last edited:

knackers323

I also get good effect from suboxone. also baclofen and gabapentin, they almost totally relieve all fatigue for a few hours and kind of reset you to baseline but can only be used once or twice a week or it doesn't work. wonder what @Jonathan Edwards thinks of all this?

panckage

I have no idea the theory @helen1. I take an opiod (kratom, tramadol, or T3's) every 3 days. I find I can do that without worrying about tolerance or other issues. I might be able to handle a bit more often than that, but iirc every second day was too much. Another piece of the puzzle is LDN. It is supposed to reduce opiod tolerance. I think this summer I will attempt an opiod every second day while on LDN to see if it can deal with the tolerance issue

I guess if you want to know more about the mechanism you can read up on LDN theory. Its an anti-opioid that has opioid effects (just like how sometimes anti-racists can be racists themselves :rofl:)

Last edited:

helen1

Thanks @panckage.
I've been taking LDN for 2 years. Still developed tolerance to minute amounts of Suboxone very quickly. Hope it works better for you...

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
(I began writing this with the intention of posting it on the oxymatrine thread but it went off on a tangent so I'm posting it here. Sorry it's also a bit long-winded and self-indulgent, however I'd appreciate any feedback.)

I took the supplement, 5-AT yesterday and didn't notice much of anything. I'll experiment with it further in a few days because I took a dose of saphora (oxymatrine herb) and it seems to have induced a bad depression. I was taking this herb along with a few others about six months ago and I suffered several weeks of heavy depression and didn't know why. Perhaps this explains it.

However this cloud may have a silver lining in that it may shed some light on the nature of my PEM. The depression I get with this herb is the same which occurs when I over-exert myself. This was not always a PEM symptom for me but has been the last few years. It's why I can't read for pleasure anymore, and of course kicks in if I've overdone it. Once I've induced the PEM funk there's no delay in further depression; it happens in real time as I exert myself. Even just going for a walk in this state will bring about suicidal thoughts.

The only other treatment to cause this depression/PEM was LDN. It first started when I decided to try a full 50 mg dose of naltrexone. Subsequent to that I haven't been able to tolerate even small doses. But this fits into a sort of theory I've been turning over in my head.

@Hip has pointed out that the depression from saphora/oxymatrine could be the result of interferon activity. I remember reading Cort's write up on Andrew Miller's work and how he saw depression and sickness behavior result from interferon treatment and how it seemed to effect the basal ganglia. His work suggests among other things that this region of the brain and it's reward circuitry may be compromised in some with ME/CFS, and this certainly rings true for me.

http://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...nflammation-fatigue-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

I've posted elsewhere about how opioids and other drugs that stimulate the reward circuitry block my PEM and reverse many of my bizarre ME/CFS symptoms. I know my reward system is not functioning as it should. I believe this is innate as I've had problems with addiction in the past, but I think it's made far worse by my ME/CFS. So when I fix this glitch with something that produces reward, besides feeling alive for a change, suddenly my immune/ME symptoms resolve. Naltrexone, which blocks the opioid receptors (which factor into reward), makes my condition worse. Interestingly, @Tristen has also written about his tendency toward addiction and he did very badly on LDN, did so much better on opioids, and now has found considerable relief with suboxone. Suboxone also acts as an opioid agonist. I don't think the similarities between his and my experiences and our addictive history is coincidence. He also speaks of immune markers normalizing with suboxone therapy.

So how do immune symptoms significantly improve with opioids/suboxone? I think the best explanation for this may lie in Jay Goldstein's work. His theory of the disease is that there's dysfunction in the lymbic system and that this causes regulatory issues that lead to the symptoms of ME/CFS, even the strange ones. That's my layman's understanding of it, anyway. And he suggests there are many different pathways that can lead to the dysfunction that he tries to identify and treat with a number of psychotropics. It just so happens that my limbic glitch is best addressed by those in the upper-right hand box of his treatment guide, specifically those that can lead to addiction. So this is but one way in which the lymbic system can become problematic.

QKLkt.jpg

Andrew Miller speaks about the issues that may pertain to this basal ganglia condition and make it difficult to treat. One is that not enough dopamine is being produced because of conversion problems arising from oxidative stress. Another is that even with enough dopamine the circuitry does not work properly. This second bit resonates with me as I can tell when my reward system is functioning better based on my creativity playing guitar, and this only happens if my oxidative stress is lowered. For instance methylphenidate will do little but make me anxious and later depressed if I take it while oxidative stress is high, and it actually can block my PEM and normalize various symptoms when oxidative stress is lower. Unfortunately it's effects are unsustainable as receptors lose their sensitivity, and because it has a negative effect on redox/oxidative stress in the long run.

Interestingly Miller posits that an imbalanced ratio of phenylalanine to tyrosine in the blood may be an indication of the problem, as the oxidative stress decreases BH4 and slows conversion of phenylalanine to tyrosine and then tyrosine to dopamine. My phenylalanine has been in the upper 5% and my tyrosine in the lower 10%. However I believe the real problem lies in the oxidative stress compounding the problem in lymbic functioning. Perhaps this is universal in those of us with ME/CFS, as Goldstein suggests, even if through different lymbic pathways.

I figure all this might explain the loop that keeps me ill: oxidative stress leading to an exacerbation of my innate glitch, which then leads to more oxidative stress. Round and round.

Hope this makes some sense to someone...

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-14_23-43-11.jpeg
    upload_2016-6-14_23-43-11.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Skippa

Anti-BS
Another opiate responder weighing in here.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say opium itself cures me (only whilst taking it).

And of course it brings its own set of problems, and now I'm addicted/dependant yet again, staring at another taper n jump.

@Dufresne your experience sounds a lot like mine re reward circuitry, I've been addicted to many many things at one time or another.

Yet I cannot ignore the near total symptom remission when I take opiates (the best is "supermarket opium").

POTS/OI symptoms... GONE. First thing. No more dizzy spells on rising, no weak back and shaky legs from standing. Yes I can go out for a walk AND stand around for an hour cooking dinner just like a normal person.

Premature anaerobic respiration/fermentation? Forget about it! No more burns, no stiffness, no pain, just energy! (Of course, I have no idea if the process itself is inhibited, or I just can't feel it).

Pains on resting? What pains! Analgaesics (sp?) at work here?

PEM? Quadrupled at least before onset. Big energy envelope.

The list goes on.

I put it like this "if I can't feel my body, then it can't weigh me down".

Skippa

Anti-BS
Anyone got any withdrawal tips please?

It's gonna be rough, but anything that can help would be welcomed.

Thinking of tapering down for a while, or even switching to suboxone or similar and tapering that...?

helen1

I've heard good things about CalmSupport, a mix of herbs and nutrients that help with opiate withdrawal. I also know someone who used suboxone to withdraw from opiates successfully with almost no distress.

@Skippa

And isn't marijuana supposed to help too?